• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
*UPDATED on 5/15/2014*

H3 Hummer Heavy Duty Skid Plates - Slide over rocks and through the mud with out getting stuck, with 1/4 or 5/16 inch thick skid plates for the H3 Hummer and protect the transmission and transfer case. Only three holes need to be drilled to mount the skidplates to the H3 Hummer, the other five bolts use existing bolt holes standard on all H3 Hummers.

The next two images show the first design mounted up to my H3 back in February 2013. The design has since changed.

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

If you read through the thread you see that I originally I wanted to run aluminum skidplates but aluminum was just costly in the end. Which is why I only offer the skids in steel.

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Won't that trap mud? Might need some larger drains cut into it....

Nope, the holes in it are just right. If the mud happens to get up there just take a minute or two to remove the mud. But I really doubt it will ever get too bad because my buddy has never cleaned mud off of his JK skid plates.

Medic_Morgan

H3 Stainless Steel Skid Plate

Looks pretty darn awesome. I think I'll be in line for these too. Based on my current rate of purchasing Schwarttzy products I'll be needing some stickers soon lol. So would these be stronger than the OEM UCP that's sparsely available on eBay? How about coverage area compared to OEM? Strength against coming down directly onto a rock? And ease of install/removal for maintenance? Heat build up? I know it's a lot to ask but just trying to figure out the specs :) Thanks Eric

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Looks pretty darn awesome. I think I'll be in line for these too. Based on my current rate of purchasing Schwarttzy products I'll be needing some stickers soon lol. So would these be stronger than the OEM UCP that's sparsely available on eBay? How about coverage area compared to OEM? Strength against coming down directly onto a rock? And ease of install/removal for maintenance? Heat build up? I know it's a lot to ask but just trying to figure out the specs :) Thanks Eric

It's no problem at all, the Stainless Steel is 3/8 of inch thick and will be incredibly strong. In the worst possible spot on the skid plate mathematically it takes more than 2,000lb which is nearly half the weight of the vehicle before these skid plates will give. I'm going to try to use as many of the factory bolt hole but a few will be required to drill out for a bolt. I currently thinking of using five bolts per skid plate meaning you'll have only 5 holes to drill at most. You're probably not going to want to take these on and off ever other day, but I am keeping in mind that stuff breaks down all the time and there may come a time when you need to drop these in the field.

As for the temperature, I really don't know quite yet but I plan to have a temperature chart showing the differences, regrettably winter is coming so I won't have summer stats until then obviously. O and I almost forgot the skid-plates are a tad under 24 inches wide (the flat part is 20 inches and the sides are 2 inch wide at a 30 degree angle).

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
H3 Stainless Steel Skid Plate

I love the design you can skid better and get hung up less...what if you get high centered on it will it hold?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Re: H3 Stainless Steel Skid Plate

Looks like a great design, but just as a heads up don't go mudding with these. My standard ucp, which is a lattice structure with huge holes. Was completely loaded with mud after i went. Transmission and t-case were buried. Maybe these will actually keep mud out though. Props to working out a design though!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Expendable

I wouldn't be worried about mud as much as not being able to check for leaks as well.

I know a H1 owner that had full skids similar to this. He had a leaking transmission and didn't know it because he couldn't see drips underneath his truck. He was going up to steep grade loaded down and towing a trailer when the pool of transmission fluid ignited. Two large fire extinguishers wasn't enough and his truck burnt up completely. Flames so hot the metal distorted.

Not trying to shoot down a sponsor or people from buying it. just be aware that if you put something like this on it may be harder to notice leaks (if you are relying on seeing drippings/puddle underneath your vehicle to see if you have a leak)

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I'm interested in upgrading my undercarriage protection before I “Alex” my transfer case. Please take the following comments as constructive criticism as that is my intent.

I wonder why Hummer didn't make their OEM under carriage protection this way since it seems simpler and cheaper than the design that they produced.

Based on the 45,000 psi yield strength, it appears that you are assuming T310 Stainless Steel :link:. I could not find pricing on 310SS in 3/8". Using T304SS a 2'x4'x3/8" sheet :link: would cost $594 from Metals Depot. I hope you have access to a lower cost material supplier that I have.

I'm not sure if the 1,500 lbs bending load is sufficient. I have high centered on my UCP to the point of having two wheels off the ground, which probably applied more than 1,500 load to my UCP. I have also applied a permanent arch to my UCP. One option might be to measure an existing UCP and design the new UCP to be stronger than, i.e. 2x the existing UCP design.

08H3

Why stainless? I guess others may feel differently, but I couldn't care less what the underside of my truck looks like as long as it's functional.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Why stainless? I guess others may feel differently, but I couldn't care less what the underside of my truck looks like as long as it's functional.

I understand that people will tend towards not caring whats under there, but I foresee problems with trying to managing the rust if you guys happen to drive off-road anything like I do. So I'm trying to find a material that does not actually need paint or something to stop from rusting.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Well I think I might be circling back to using aluminum skid plates with this cleaver Idea I had, but it will ultimately depend on the final price of manufacturing each option that I have explored.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Re: H3 Stainless Steel Skid Plate

I understand that people will tend towards not caring whats under there, but I foresee problems with trying to managing the rust if you guys happen to drive off-road anything like I do. So I'm trying to find a material that does not actually need paint or something to stop from rusting.

I have to agree that SS would be desirable if it is affordable. I think aluminum is too soft for the kind of wheeling that I do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

justin94tt

This design reminds me somewhat of the DOI skids that are no longer in production and were a arm and a leg to purchase. Good design, I like it.

bebe

I wouldn't be worried about mud as much as not being able to check for leaks as well.

I know a H1 owner that had full skids similar to this. He had a leaking transmission and didn't know it because he couldn't see drips underneath his truck. He was going up to steep grade loaded down and towing a trailer when the pool of transmission fluid ignited. Two large fire extinguishers wasn't enough and his truck burnt up completely. Flames so hot the metal distorted.

Not trying to shoot down a sponsor or people from buying it. just be aware that if you put something like this on it may be harder to notice leaks (if you are relying on seeing drippings/puddle underneath your vehicle to see if you have a leak)

RIP Boxy Lady :(

The only H1 to do the lower Fordyce trail with me :sniff:

Mr_Rich

I think with some additional gusseting/ bracing that guard could survive any beating you could give it. I think you'd have to figure out some additional attachment points with M10 bolts and toss those M8's....there's your opening, Schwarttzy....