• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 How hot can I bake my plastic

machineguneddie

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I'm going to paint the caps on my wheels. Being a gun builder I have a bunch of Norrell's Moly Resin in HK black that I want to use. But the problem is that the parts need to be baked at 300 deg's For an hour.
Is this going to be too much for the caps. Most firearm plastics will handle this but I'm unsure about Hummer parts.

TIA

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Are there any markings inside the caps that tell you what type of plastic it is? Here is a :link: for plastic materials operating temperatures. Assuming your 300 degrees is F, which converts to 148.8 degrees C there are many plastics that can take 150C or higher and many that can't.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You can also drop the temp and just keep it in longer. When I paint Butler Creek scope covers, that's what I do. I drop oven temp to minimum, and just keep it in longer. I do the same for red dot scopes to not damage seals. You are not obliged to have the high temp.

Kurt

The plastic will likely melt, you need to identify the plastic.

I'm working with a few rapid prototyping machines which melt plastic to allow them to be printed into a model, the working temperatures of common automotive plastics wouldn't last under that heat.

Melting points once you ID the plastic:

(Note there can be a 20 degree variation depending on the formula of the plastic)

ABS -> 105C / 221 F
HDPE -> 110C / 230 F
PVC -> 160C / 320 F (It'll start breaking down before then)
PLA -> 175C / 347 F (I'm starting to see Ford use this for interior parts believe it or not)

I'd say most likely the part is ABS. Since it's a cosmetic component, it's probably standard ABS. There are some forms of "Hi temperature ABS" out there, but Its not designed to go into an oven.

Right now I'm looking into making custom plastic parts for our trucks, and testing ABS vs PLA at the moment...

Has anyone offered an aluminum hub cap for the H2/H3 like for the H1?

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
According to the datasheet the recommended drying time for PPE/PA is 95C to 105C for 3 to 4 hours cumulative 8 hr.

Dry at recommended temperatures and times for optimum performance. Overdrying can cause loss of physical properties and/or create appearance defects. Do not exceed recommended basic drying time and temperature above or:
****•*4-8 hrs at 95°C (200°F), 10 hrs max
****•*6-12 hrs at 80°C (175°F), 16 hrs max
****•*8-16 hrs at 65°C (150°F), 24 hrs max

You can probably assume that your caps have already been dried for 3-4 hrs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2