• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bumper Sensor??

HUMMERDAD

I know strange question to ask but noticed someone hit the driver side rear corner left scraping marks in the plastic and chiped the panit right under the fuel door.Leaving a yellow and gray scratch on the bottom edge of the that corner lip not dented what so ever. Was just wanting to make sure I was not going to have some crazy sensor go off later down the road.

Neo

Badfish
as long as you still have the fuel cap you should be fine, if left off or not sealed you can get an engine light. The only scratch sensor that i know of is the wife... :giggle::wink:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
as long as you still have the fuel cap you should be fine, if left off or not sealed you can get an engine light. The only scratch sensor that i know of is the wife... :giggle::wink:

Hey Neo, I checked my owners manual and that scratch sensor you mentioned also has an audio tone---it goes "nagnagnagnagnagnag". I haven't figured out how to shut mine up!

HUMMERDAD

Great did not think there was one thank you Neo and F5moab. Not sure what the persons viechle was that hit it but can say it did not have as good a day as mine.

Last edited:

Neo

Badfish
Great did not think there was one thank you Neo and F5moab. Not sure what the persons viechle was that hit it but can say it did not have as good a day as mine.

it's still a good question...the airbag sensor is a internal thing F5 could explain a lot better than i , and agreed the other vehicle went home all butt hurt :wink:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
it's still a good question...the airbag sensor is a internal thing F5 could explain a lot better than i , and agreed the other vehicle went home all butt hurt :wink:

Only air bag sensors are in the bottom of the B-pillars for side air bags, and these are crash type sensors that set off the bag when crushed. Two sensors up front are for determining the stage of air bag deployment. The actual determination to blow are set off by the sensing and diagnostic module, located under the console, (AKA the black box, that is actually silver). There is also the infamous roll over sensor that sends a signal to the SDM to set off both side air bags if there is an indication of a possible rollover. And we know all about the problems this sensor can cause when offroading.
There is also some other misc. sensors and/or switches.

Passenger sensing sensor in the seat to determine if the passenger side air bag is activated in a frontal crash.
Seat position sensor that will trigger an input if the seat is really close to the dash. This prevents a stage two activation of the front bag. For tall people, the normal blow is a stage one (not that explosive), and if it is determined by the SDM via its own programming and the front sensors, it can go into a more explosive stage two activation. You don't want a stage two blow if granny is driving and her nose is one inch from the steering wheel. :giggle:
Also, in a frontal crash, the shoulder belt activator will blow and the belt will cinch up tighter, so make sure you aren't scratching your boob with your arm under the shoulder belt when you have a crash.:giggle: