• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tire thread

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
For all the new guys looking for tires or the veterans wanting to change to a new tire we need some tire reviews. I havent seen any tire threads transfer over since the new start of the forum so post up pros cons to the tire you have and this can help some people out.

I will start, I have the Duratrac in a 315/75/16 (35" tire)

Pros: Great in snow, rides nice, Great in mud and rain, Tread wear is decent,

Cons:Once worn down a decent amount slips alot in rocks, tough to balance.

Final Thoughts: For an all around Daily driver that tackles all types of terrain this is a great tire. I would say it excels in snow but is still pretty good with other types of terrain. It rides nice and is a cross between an All terrain and a mud terrain

Hunner

I had good service out of the Mickey Thompson MT on everything. They balanced well and wore even and did not chunk out in rock.
I now run the Cooper STT on the same carcass as the MT. They balance well and are wearing even, I have not seen much wear so far and I bought them used on rims. So far they have performed well on all surfaces.
Both tires have enough sipping so they perform well on wet pavement.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I am running BFG KM2 37x12.50x17. So far no complaints at all with them. Have over 30k on them and still have tread. Been in mud, snow, rock, gravel, and sand with them and have performed perfectly. Have started to get a little noisier as they wear down, but that's what the radio is for.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I am running BFG KM2 37x12.50x17. So far no complaints at all with them. Have over 30k on them and still have tread. Been in mud, snow, rock, gravel, and sand with them and have performed perfectly. Have started to get a little noisier as they wear down, but that's what the radio is for.

I'm also running the BRG KM2's in a 315/75R16. Also no complaints with over 30xxx on them. Plenty of tread left on these beasts and they have gotten me through dirt, mud, rocks and some seriously deep snow. I love these freakin' tires!!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
ok, just wondering, If you were so inclined to do so you could...There was a guy with an H3 who siped his firestones and said it made the world of difference for him but he hated his firestones performance at first. It doesn't seem necessary for the KM2 guys they already are great tires

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I thought about sipping them for driving on the icy roads in the winter. I figured I would drive around and see how they did then get them sipped if necessary. Well, I never needed to do it. But then again... I know how to control my vehicle on ice and in snow. :horns:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
But then again... I know how to control my vehicle on ice and in snow. :horns:

Can you please give the daily pavement pounding so cal drivers some lessons? They cant drive in rain....It seems like only offroaders can drive in such "terrible conditions" When its JUST RAIN!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
:asoff: You know, surprisingly we have the same crap here. Most people can drive in the snow but when it rains... we have to go 15 under the posted speed limit. Really?

[video=youtube;8iOpUdsMeqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOpUdsMeqM&feature=fvsr[/video]

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
we have gotten so off topic. lol anyone else have reviews....more reviews of the same tire is good, dnt be shy. I know we have plenty of toyo Mt's out there along with mickey thompsons, MTRs, and other stuff.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
H2
BFG MT 37 12.50 17*** 35 12.50 18 great offroad and dry pavement. Wet weather driving is OK. While they are not siped, there is enough void for the tires to clean out and act the same on myd. On packed snow/ ice they were not good without siping. 35x18 left a little less sidewall than perfered.

BFG AT 315 75 17/ great all around tire. Does great in all conditions except gummy mud/ clay. tougher to clean treads out with wheel spin. Performed outstanding on snow/ ice.

Procomp Extreme AT 37 12.50 17***37 13.50 17***35 12.50 17/ These tires performed very much like the bfg AT. great all around tire. With alittle deaper tread pattern they did slightly better off road and had enough siping to handle winter driving as well. Downfall it was a dirrectional tire. Rotate front to back only and than flip on the wheel to cross up. 35's were too small for harder wheeling.

Procomp Extreme MT 35 12.50 17. Would not use again on an HD truck. These chunked pretty quickly over the other MT's I have used. Availability becase tough to get. Tire runs a little small in comp. to a Toyo MT.

Toyo MT 35 12.50 18 Runs true to size. Did great in wet weather driving. Snow/ ice was Ok/ not as good as an AT tire, but the best MT tire I have driven in snow with. This is a heavy tire!!! make sure to rotate. If you let them go, they get very loud and are harder to balance.

H3
BFG AT 315 70 16/ great all around tire. Handled all conditions well. never ran this tire in heavy mud on the H3.

proComp Extreme AT 315 16 Favorite tire on the H3. dirrectional tire though. rotations take extra work. handled better on this truck than the H2. off road I had to air down a little lower than normal. not sure if the sidewall was stiffer ot not, but found 15 over 18 worked better with these tires.

proComp Extreme MT 35 12.50 17/ least favorite tire on the H3. They chunked out fast and became very loud. handled OK in snow/ ice. Other than chunking, grip on loose trails and slickrock was favorable. For the price I would try a different tire though.

Flash

Research is an ongoing sport...
The local Jeepers (Unlimited Offroad) really like the KM2's.
Both the MT MTZ's and the Cooper SST's would be on my short list in either 33" or 35" sizes. Reviews are very good in Off Road 4x4.
I have run the 33" Duratracs for the last couple of seasons and they have performed very well - except the rears on wet rock as I tend to slide off - but I think it has more to do with my lines than the tires.. They are outstanding in snow including hill climbs.
From what I have seen of the Goodyear MTR's, they perform very well on rock, water, mud, and logs. I am not impressed with their hill climbing in snow.
I am intrigued by a Bias Ply I am researching...but likely would not go that route for my daily driver.

cbetts

NERD!!!
No, they are not siped. Had thought about it, but haven't had any issues with them the way they are

With all the nice weather we have in California, there really is no reason to sipe. Besides, with all the rock crawling we do, I would think we would be tearing off more rubber with the siped.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
With all the nice weather we have in California, there really is no reason to sipe. Besides, with all the rock crawling we do, I would think we would be tearing off more rubber with the siped.

That's my complaint about the duratracs. There siped and did outstanding on a snow run but they have rubber chunks missing

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Bridgestone-stock H3 off-road package tires –
Pros: Very good in Snow, Slick Rock, and paved roads.

Cons: Not so good in sand, terrible in deep mud

Cooper STTs
Pros: Very good in sand, good in deep mud, good in snow (including deep mountain snow), strong sidewalls (proved that a few times), balanced well and noise was pretty good at the start, but after wearing down they did get nosier (which is common on almost any tire). Good on paved roads including local and interstate.

Cons: Wore down to about 4/32nds in approx. 26K miles and chunked (although I would say the chunking was not that bad for the miles)

Dunlop Fierce Attitude (also marketed under Goodyear Fierce Attitude):

Pros: Very good in deeps sand and I stress very good (did some sugar sand over Labor Day and it just plowed right through it), good in deep mud, strong sidewalls (at least the sharp rocks in CO didn’t cut the sidewalls and I did run the sidewalls against some sharp rocks on some of the trails), have to wait a few months to give a snow report (but they are siped so I expect about the same as the SSTs), balanced good when new can’t speak for after a few thousand (so far still balanced ok). Good on the highway and interstate and any paved road.

Cons: A bit nosier than the SSTs (when the SSTs were new). No other cons at this time, they only have a few thousand miles, so time will tell.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
KM2s have already been reviewed so I will skip them.

I have the Kevlar MTRs on the H3 in 35". I have had them in sand, rock and mud and have been extremely happy with them. They have an aggressive tread so are a little noisy and bumpy on the road but I am ok with that. Even the wife loves them.
I have the regular MTRs on a couple of H1s. They are pretty good on and offroad tires but they seem to wear unevenly. Not a bad tire but not my first choice. They have done very well on rock for me.
I have Goodyear MTs on one truck. Not impressed with this tire.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I've ran the Yokohama Geolander M/T+ and the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2.

Recommend both. Both are fairly quiet for a Mud Terrain, rode smooth, turn well and perform great off-road.

The Geolanders are a directional tire, so you'll need two spares to really cover yourself (one for each side of the truck). They do fairly well on most terrains but do slide some on ice/snow, standing water on paved surfaces and they do not self-clean well in mud. Decent traction though. Do NOT run these tires backwards, you'll have next to no traction and it could even be dangerous for you. A note about wear, the compound is harder than the orginal M/T (hence the M/T+), so you'll get more miles out of these tires, but definitely rotate them.

The KM2s are just awesome!!! I see other 4x4s slipping in mud and snow, but in 4LO, I just don't. These things make wheeling a lot easier. I have been in some deep mud and they are unbelievable. They self-clean well, ride smooth and stick to surfaces like spiderman! A lot of people talk about these tires performing poorly in snow and ice, but I just haven't seen that at all. We get some nasty winters up here and I don't remember slipping even once. When these finally wear out, I'll be looking for KM2s again. :thumbs:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Well I had 37x13.5x18 Toyo M/T open country, wery happy with those on H2 20k plus now newer rotated. Down to ~50% now, front seems to be little more worn.
Performed wery well in sand, rocks, snow, mud (didn't try in deep mud or deep snow 3' or more), not very noisy on the street.
New ones 38x15.5x20 Toyo M/T much bigger tire, it seems H2 has to work harder to keep up at 70-80mph.probably need to regear it or supercharger.Worked very well at Bishop.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
37x13.5x15 Dick Cepek Radial FC-II. This tire is a cross between an AT and an MT, and does very will off-road, especially in rocks. Cleanout in mud is decent, and they don't tend to dig in to sand like more aggressive tires can. It's a good on-road tire, although noise does increase as the tire wears. As with all tires, age and on-road use hardens the rubber, which negatively impacts off-road performance. IMO, if you want good off-road performance (and the best on-road for that matter), plan on replacing your tires every 2 years whether they're worn or not. I will probably go with another pair of these (except in 17") when my tire fund is built back up. Until then, I have to run 35" BFG AT's
baby.gif

Kurt

Hummer H1 tires I ran:

Goodyear MT 37x12.5x16.5

Not much luck with this tire, I had a very old set which started to de-laminate and crack within 1500 miles. But this was 10 year old rubber. If date stamps are checked and you have a tire that's new or used with a production date within the last 3-4 years then you'll get a long lasting tire.

Pros: Good wear, Cheap [via surplus] I've seen 95% tread tires going for as low as $35 on pirate 4x4.

Cons: Harsher ride, noise, slippery on wet asphalt, 16.5" tire size limits rim options.

BF Goodrich AT KO 37x12.5x17

Good all around tire, with good off road performance and excellent street and highway performance].

Pros: Reasonable cost, can purchase road hazard warranty [since it's not a MT tire], good availability. Very quiet tire, good wear [25,000+ miles on my H1], great on sand, dirt, and rock.

Cons: Can chunk a bit on the edges on rock. Not so hot in mud.

Goodyear MT/R HMMWV 37x12.5x16.5

The old MT/R design was retired by Goodyear in favor of the new Kelvar belted design. The design was picked up for Military use to replace the old 16.5" MT tires, so the MT/R and the BFG Baja/TA HMMWV are the two new current tires for the Military HMMWV fleet.

Pros: Classic MT/R design, great off road performance, I had it out in snow, sand, mud, and rock and the tires performed great. Can be cheap due to military surplus. I got a set of 6 new MT/R's with new HMMWV wheels for $250 each. I've seen the tires surplus go for around $200 which is reasonable for new tires. The price will fall as more and more tires are surplussed and availability improves. This tire was never availble in 16.5" size until now which means if you are running hummer/hmmwv steel rims you got a great replacement for the aging MT.

Cons: LOUD. Very loud on the highway. Availability is an issue. Right now it's a military only item, its not listed in Goodyears database for ordering so the only source is military vehicle collector websites and government liquidations . I'm not sure if wear has improved. I have 3000 miles on mine so far and wear has been ok.

I'm looking at trying the BF Goodrich 16.5" HMMWV Baja T/A soon, 37x12.5x16.5, a batch of those hit surplus and I've been seeing them for $100-130 ea used with 95% tread and around 200 or so for new tires.

I've heard very good thing about these tires on H1's as well:

37" ProComp AT and MT tires
37" Toyo Open Countries
37" BF Goodrich MT KM2's
37-40" IROK Radial MT's

Big.Z.Hummin

Previous: Toyo Open country m/t. 35x12.5x20
Great Tire! tread wear is best in m/t category IMO. 45,xxx miles on them had about 35% tread left when i dumped them. Good on rocks. great on wet roads. handled well for me in a few snow and bad ice incidents. Never got stuck in them once.

cons: Could grip a bit more in mud. HEAVY

overall: great m/t! dont buy if you like to swap tires frequently, they will last 50k+ miles if rotated every once in a while. great overall tire that is one of the friendliest on the street.

Now: SSM16's. 37x13.5x17.
Pull hard in mud! only had them out once at windrock so far but didn't even spin a tire. seem to catch on rocks well also. Wet road conditions are decent. Can't comment on snow/ice yet but i have a hunch they won't be the best. great looking tire, very bogger like but more street friendly. 4K miles and still have full tread and the side lug nipples. Attract a lot of attention

cons: noisy at 55-65, but pretty quiet at most other speeds. harder to balance some find the side wall to be slightly ghey...

overall: this tire is a personal preference. I love them but not for the person who wants a very friendly street tire or someone who sees a lot of ice.