• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

has anyone ever swapped out a belt tensioner?

JonBishop

gonna be doing all my maintence on my 3(fluids,belt, etc..) and i noticed when i start my 3 and let it warm up and everything i hear like a rattle and i see the tensioner going crazy.... and thinking its whats wrong.... it hard to switch out?

it looks like this tensioner, didnt have time to take a pic earlier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYCO-89269...ies&hash=item35bab00a4f&vxp=mtr#ht_1057wt_956

4,000miles to go to 100,000miles on the odometer!!!!!!!!!
gotta make sure shes runnning perfectly :)

JonBishop

well ill be doing that then :) thank you...... one more quick question.... theres like a million different tensioners to choose from, which one is the best? lol

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If you are going to take off the belt and do the tensioner you should do the idler pulley at the same time. I changed out my belt a while ago and keep the original as a backup.

JonBishop

well ill go throw one of those in there too, is there anything else that should be switched out mechanically at 100k?... getting new shocks too :) all four corners are gonna be bilsteins :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Fluids - power steering, anti-freeze, brake, transmission, transfer case, diffs - all are probably due if you haven't done them already. Spark plugs should be changed. And the flux capacitor as well.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Remember if you have an 06 you may have to add some extra t case fluid depending if it was an early 06.

There's an exact description on what needs to be done on the forum somewhere

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JonBishop

Cool thanks guys, I'm planning on doing all of this this weekend or next week... Gonna be alot of fluids being swashed around that's for damn sure haha

06PullUouT

Old thread.... But I just did it a week ago. Parts in hand, took me 25 minutes from start to finish! Super easy on the I5! I do recommend changing out both tensioner and idler pulley at the same time. I did not and now the idler pulley is rattling! Oh well I will do it this weekend!

-Deryl