• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hmmwv

SgtPearce

Hey guys I'm looking for an HMMWV or a H1 with a gutted interior I prefer military interior and military body, I'm hopin round ten k ideally I'm looking for a humvee if anyone knows where I can get one maybe a military auction that would be great body doesn't have to be 100% nor does the interior just has to drive and would prefer the turbo

Trevon

Good luck in your search. That's how mine started; wanted to find a surplus HMMWV or something for less than 10k, then I realized that was a dream and don't really exist, and ended up going for a full on H1... now I gotta wait to get it to me!

SgtPearce

Hopes and dreams though right lol maybe I can get the bank to loan me 20 k so I can buy one, pretty good way to build up credit as long as I don't miss a payment lol

IndyHummers

I would plan on at least 25,000 for a drivable HMMWV. Something to make look into is if it already has a title as going through the bill of sale process can be a PITA.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was the most recent one up for sale http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190688792645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but asking price was higher than you are looking at. Look at his other items as he seems to have his own boneyard in CA. You could also try one of the forum sponsors Hummer Trader.

That truck appeared to have issues and the seller wasn't very cooperative. I would be leery of buying from him. They refused to allow a physical inspection of the vehicle, would only vaguely describe the condition and were selling AS IS.

IndyHummers

The military hum eyes that were sold we're sold on Bill of Sale only, meaning they didn't have an actual title like a normal vehicle. To get an actual vehicle title for a HMMWV you need to jump through a bunch of hoops like registering it in Nevada as a salvage, rebuilt, or assembled vehicle title. I'm not sure what the Canadian way of doing it would be but seeing as how hard Derek Wax has to work to get cheap tires back across the lines that he buys I could only imagine how hard it would be to bring in a vehicle lol.

Kurt

Your best bet is to purchase a early model year H1 like a 1992 and import it into Canada. $10,000 is not enough, I would budget a minimum of $30,000 [or more in Canada]. That should allow you to buy a $20-25,000 early year truck and enough money left over to fix it up and make sure all the maintenance is caught up

I'm Canadian and I now work and live in the US and have looked at buying an HMMWV or H1 in Canada many times and gave up until I moved to the US where there was way more H1's and HMMWV's. Back in 2003, a drivable condition HMMWV in decent shape went for $35,000 CDN. They are very rare, the same with the H1's up north. A working driver HMMWV is usually in demand by film production companies, that was most of the owners I bumped into.

It is difficult to import a HMMWV into Canada, provided you can get the US Government toallow it to be exported. Note that most of the US based resellers who deal in surplus vehicles have to sign end use agreements preventing export of military hardware. That's why they don't deal with anyone outside the US.

The HMMWV's in Canada are usually scrapped trucks that were cut up and crushed. They were sold as scrap metal and eventually reassembled in Canada and titled as salvage or custom vehicles. There was one person who ran a shop off Lake Erie in a small town that rebuild them for customers but his prices started at $35,000 for a basic m998 and went up from there. But that was almost 10 years ago since I talked to that guy, I'm not sure if they are around.

There is additional hassles with registering and insuring hmmwv's for on road use, AM General has been sending letters to the DOT and DMV's of every state reminding them that HMMWV's don't meet federal safety standards required for on road use. It's just down here every state does its own thing when it comes to cars and vehicles that shouldn't technically be on the road wind up with titles. In Canada it's probably a non issue, but depends on the province, I know some provinces MOT's are coming down really hard on 4x4's if they are even slightly modified.

Must HMMWV sales are cash only deals, most banks won't touch military vehicles unless you have already have an established line of credit. H1's are bad enough, most are so old, most banks won't write a loan for one. That being said a good credit union is the way to go, provided you can find a nice local Canadian truck to buy.

Ideally you can get a nice US southwest truck with no rust. A 1992-1994 that needs a little TLC for 20-30,000US with some money set aside to do some catch up maintenance..

The problem with importing into the US, is that in order for a vehicle to clear US and Canadian customs for import, it needs a free and clear title, so no loans/leases or lien holders on the title. There may be a way around that if the bank allows you to get a "blank check loan" .

Again make sure you have a fix it fund, and it's very helpful if you can work on these trucks yourself. I remember a horror story about a gentleman in Ontario who purchased an AS-IS used H1 from Shaw Hummer in Calgary I believe. The block was bad from the get go, and it cracked when he was driving through Manitoba. Not sure how that ended with a lawsuit but the guy was pretty unhappy, he had no money for an engine job.

Last edited:

kflips

Not sure of the price but the guy at usedh1.com may have some ready to be rebuilt hmmwv available

Kurt

True -- but I thought he had some body's he posted on ebay a month or two back.

Theres a guy on g503 who had a hmmwv roller for around $3000-4000 no body. Best deal I found was $7000 for a complete roller project HMMWV, that went pretty fast, had a body tub on the chassis, just needed the included engine installed. But he had no electrical harness for the setup.

I think the OP mentioned a budget of $10,000 on a previous post and it would be extremely difficult to pull off a humvee for that. Not impossible, there was a guy I met on the last socal HCI run who paid 12K for his m998, but it had fist sized holes in the frame rails. [Not a big problem to fix if you got the space and time]