• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Alarm/engine cut off question

skeptic

A couple days ago I went to get into my T and didn't have my fob to unlock the door (little plastic loop to connect to the key ring broke). No biggie, I figured I'd just unlock it with the key. Well, when I did that it started beeping short quick horn beeps. Assuming this was a warning the alarm was about to go off I quickly put the key in the ignition and turned it to on, they way to shut off an alarm with the key on other cars I've owned. Nope - this set the alarm off. Key in the door lock/unlock, the way to shut off the alarm in my '81 Corvette - nope, still going off. I went into my house and start looking for the fob, found the spare, and turned off the alarm. T will not start, flashing red security light in the dash. We take my wife's car where we were going. Couple hours later we get home, I find the fob I had been using with the broken loop, unlock the T and it starts fine. Lock it with that, unlock with the other fob - it's fine. Now, if I unlock it with they key it starts beeping and hitting the unlock on the fob stops it and I'm good.

Can someone explain why this happens and/or how it's supposed to work? Imagine if this had happened out in the middle of nowhere on a camping/wheeling trip and I had really lost the fob, not left it in the house somewhere and didn't have a spare. Or even just had it fall off in some store while shopping. Even a dead battery in the fob...

3rdH3

The fob sets the alarm. When you open the door with the key it sets off the alarm as you found out. Mine, I am pretty sure, will stop sounding the horn if I put the key in the ignition and turn it on. The reason it started when you came back is that the Passlock system resets after 10 minutes. The alarm should stop sounding after 30 seconds under any condition.

Last edited:

skeptic

Ok, so it works as I expected, and putting the key in the ignition and turning it on SHOULD have turned off the alarm. Any idea why putting the key in the ignition and turning it on set off the alarm instead of turning it off? Is this just a faulty something in the ignition switch/circuit? Based on your reply, if the alarm is set off the way I did, unlocking with the fob will not disable the passlock 10 minute wait?

Sounds like you are confirming what I suspect, my alarm/passlock is not quite working the way it should for some reason.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
If I open mine with the key the alarm goes off until I put the key in and start it...I never had an issue with it refusing to start after using the key to open it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk