• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off Road wear and tear items on your Hummer

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The other threads about breakage, cost of ownership, etc. got me thinking of items that an owner should include in a budget if wheeling their truck. It will of course vary by model and wheeling style but here are the things (and quantity) that I've worn out prematurely due to my wheeling. My wear and tear may be worse than most since I wheeled too hard due to a lack of locker. I've got 100,000 miles and 5 years on my truck.

Motor mounts - 5
Diff crossmember - 5
CV boots - 4 torn
Front shocks - 2 sets
u-joints and prop shaft CV - all three u-joints and the front propshaft have been replaced
Ball joints - worn out 3 of 4
Lower control arm bushings - one side
Tires - 5 with cuts and even with road hazard that's still $50+ apiece
Rear leaf spring pads - replaced about half of them as they were missing

Other one-time so far items that have failed
Steering rack
Front diff
Radiator (cracked)

What have been the wear and tear items on your Hummer?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Left front wheel well
Light surround / bezel

I guess im not wheeling enough, or im just lucky? Haha

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

j3jackson

Big tires
This left rear fender piece
Moabwheeling098.jpg

backwoods

Both inner tie rods at at the same time a cv shaft ...ball joint right wheel well grill and bumper ...steering rack is toast ...seperated exhaust manifold leaky axle seals leaky pinion seal ...bent stabalizer links ...and a wheel bearing

Ive had the rig since october

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
06 H3 90k miles,

From wheeling...
Tie rod-1
Halfshaft-1
Front diff-1
Diff crossmember bushing-1
Diff brace-1
Dented doors-2

I need to go back and check but I think the roof rails were replaced before the warranty went out. That was before wheeling and before I had the H3.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
The other threads about breakage, cost of ownership, etc. got me thinking of items that an owner should include in a budget if wheeling their truck. It will of course vary by model and wheeling style but here are the things (and quantity) that I've worn out prematurely due to my wheeling. My wear and tear may be worse than most since I wheeled too hard due to a lack of locker. I've got 100,000 miles and 5 years on my truck.

Motor mounts - 5
Diff crossmember - 5
CV boots - 4 torn
Front shocks - 2 sets
u-joints and prop shaft CV - all three u-joints and the front propshaft have been replaced
Ball joints - worn out 3 of 4
Lower control arm bushings - one side
Tires - 5 with cuts and even with road hazard that's still $50+ apiece
Rear leaf spring pads - replaced about half of them as they were missing

Other one-time so far items that have failed
Steering rack
Front diff
Radiator (cracked)

What have been the wear and tear items on your Hummer?

Didn't you waste a t-case in there somewhere?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ya true. That was a case of bad luck vs wear and tear. I only included wear and tear originally but maybe should have included breakage as well.

Besides a transfer case breakage would include a prop shaft and another three of the base H3 tires. And mud flaps. And a rear bumper. Exhaust tips. 5 rims beat to crap.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I think as much as you wheel you would've needed a new chain at the very least by now. So, the fact that it was "tear" rather than "wear" probably doesn't matter in this case ;)

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I'm fairly cautious and try to keep the rig intact. So far very little wear and tear. Plenty of scratches and a few dents, but nothing too bad. Then again, here it is mostly mud, damage is probably a lot worse on the rocky trails.

Kurt

Alternators [dust/sand in bearings], vacuum pumps [dust/sand in bearings] and main UCP on my H1.

Gone through 3 of each in the last 6 years.

Ron B

I just broke my pitman turning a corner about an hour ago!! Luckily I have a rockram so I could get home and into my garage! If I did not have the ram I would still be under my truck on Ventura Blvd wishing I were dead. The pitman was on my list of things to change because it had been on the truck for years and done more trails than I usually allow for pitmans. Luckily it didn't go on the freeway. Could have been disastrous...and would have been deadly if I didn't have a rockram.

As far as wear and tear...I have gone through many balljoints, idlers, pitmans, and tie rod ends. I have broken 2 halfshafts...one was being stupid and spinning my tires on a crazy hill, the other was spinning my tires while pulling a wedged h1 on Gold Mnt. Moral of the story...do not spin tires with detroit locker (both breaks were right rear)

Last edited:

kflips

What he said,,,

From wheeling...
Tie rod-2
Halfshaft-2
Front diff-1
Rear brake line bracket-1
rear brake line -1

I'm just a trainee

Ron B

I should add that my only trail breakages were the halfshafts -- all the other stuff I would change out as preventive maintenance at least once a year. If it was a busy year of hard trails, much more often (especially the idler/pitmans...h1's chew those up).

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I wasn't paying attention one time on the trail and clipped a curb pretty good. One of my wheels got a pretty healthy curb rash and it scuffed the tire pretty good as well. Any further into the curb and my chrome side vents probably would have gotten scratched by the bushes. This was right up by the movie theater, which is the hardest part of the trail (lots of traffic).

So um,

- 1 wheel
- 1 tire scuffed
- 1 can chrome polish

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
So far, not bad.

Me being stupid = 1 rear axle shaft

Me tired and misjudging a stump, combined with a defective part = 1 inner tie rod end.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

H3slate

Brush raked
I have a dent in my passenger front door for not getting another set of eyes on a stump on the side of the trail, plenty of brush rake on both sides, and the usual front diff seals and a couple of cv boots. Oh, and I tore off my fuel door on a tight trail at Evans Creek.

LagunaH1

I just broke my pitman turning a corner about an hour ago!! Luckily I have a rockram so I could get home and into my garage! If I did not have the ram I would still be under my truck on Ventura Blvd wishing I were dead. The pitman was on my list of things to change because it had been on the truck for years and done more trails than I usually allow for pitmans. Luckily it didn't go on the freeway. Could have been disastrous...and would have been deadly if I didn't have a rockram.

As far as wear and tear...I have gone through many balljoints, idlers, pitmans, and tie rod ends. I have broken 2 halfshafts...one was being stupid and spinning my tires on a crazy hill, the other was spinning my tires while pulling a wedged h1 on Gold Mnt. Moral of the story...do not spin tires with detroit locker (both breaks were right rear)

H1 newbie question:
How does a worn Pittman arm feel as you drive the truck?