• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

100,000 mile service

JonBishop

was wondering what the dealership does at the 100,000 mile service, and do they charge a arm and a leg to do it at the dealership? haha if so, im gonna be doing some wrench work and getting dirty haha

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I guarantee they charge an arm and a leg, as you've already seen the thread regarding diffs and transfer case.

Personally, there are only two things I would take it to the dealer or a garage for that's in the 100K service - coolant and transmission. Everything else I can manage and I live in a condo where I cannot work on my truck. I take it to a do it yourself place ($20/hour for a lift) and do the oils, brakes, plugs, etc. myself.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
BUMP! on 12/26/12 I hit this...

CDA5D9A0-6330-4659-8685-96F2D1C8687C-2780-000002DE5DED697E.jpg

I went to the dealership for a 100k mile checkup/oil change. They only did the oil change and gave me a list of other stuff that needs to be done. I told them I will be back, I leave for florida on the 4th so I will drop it off on the 3rd and have them do some things. Other stuff will be done by me.

1) Rear Brakes (2mm left) [dealership, I have never done brakes]
2) Front and Rear diff service [I will do that]
3) Trans flush [they will do that]
4) Transfer case service and T case has a leak [not sure what to do yet. Have 4:1 case in garage with broken shift fork, may fix that and install myself of have them fix shift fork and install]
5) Decarb Service (?)
6) Fuel Injection throttle body (?)
7) Air filter (me)
8) Rack n Pinion leaks (not sure yet)
9)Power steering line leak (not sure yet)
10) power steering flush (not sure yet)
11) hood struts (me) LOL @ Zach on LCC run.

So thats all the stuff they mentioned. Most of it is easy and just new fluids, some is just wear and tear.

My questions for you guys, am I forgetting anything and is anything sound unnecessary? Never heard of decarb service.

Reaper, Did you install a new rack and pinion on your H3? Is it difficult to install with that one bolt that has the crossmember in the way? Is the PS line tough to do?

Tcase, How tough is it to take apart install a shift fork? There may be more problems to it. Idk, am I better off letting them deal with it?

Also, they used Pennzoil high mileage oil...they never used that in the past, IIRC they used mobil1. Is this pennzoil stuff any good? Thanks in advance! Once this is done squeaky will be brand new! lol, halfshafts boots are in good shape, still should check balljoints but other suspension bushings all seem to be in good working order. Man, getting old sucks!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Rear brakes are extremely easy to do though sometimes there are good deals for the dealer to do the work. Decarb service? I have no idea. Throttle body is a 20-30 minute job you can do yourself, also easy.

Has the coolant ever been changed in the truck? I believe 100,000 miles is the target. Also the spark plugs are due at 100,000 miles. Might be a good time to flush the brake fluid as well.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Complete gear service was written in the notes...Is that taking off the diff cover and inspecting the gears? If so thats stupid easy...I will do that with the diffs.