• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Roof Top Tents & Bed Racks

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The main concern with a RTT for me is COG and weight on the roof. Nugget had issues with his roof and had some type of roof rail failure. I need to find the thread...

If I was go to ever get one it would only be on for multiple day dirt road trips. It wouldnt be on my roof doing moab rim or john bull lol

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
250 lbs per the owners manual

I just read that in my manual too. It looks like it's talking about the factory cargo cross bars. I can understand the 250lb weight since it is just two bows of metal with two connections each. My Gobi rack disperses the weight over the entire roof of the HUMMER and connects solidly in eight spots. It'd wager that it would hold a hell of a lot more weight. On the factory cargo cross bars, the weak point would be the middle of the bow most likely. On the Gobi site, they say that the weight limit of the rack is 300 lbs for mobile loads and 600 lbs for static loads.

My wife and I weigh about 300 lbs together, add another 50-75 for the rack, another 100 lbs for a tent, my hi-lift, axe, shovel and spare tire....

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
late to the party!

That Howling Moon RTT is one of the best available!!! I got to play with one of these last year and was impressed with everything on it! Very well senn seams, the zippers are HD, the framework is top notch, etc.

The bed rack is cool! That setup is perfect IMHO. Expedition One built a Tundra with their bedrack, lift, etc. That is exactly what I had pictured for the H3T. Now I know what it looks like. The Tacoma's have a couple diferent options too...so I"m suprised this is the first we are seeing this style rack.

your truck has turned out great!

now, more info/ pics on the trailer please.

MuDnYrI

I like the AutoHome Extreme tent:
VIDEO:
http://www.autohomeus.com/video/video2.php

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolinaExtreme.php

425_M-ExtScorpian.jpg

213_CV-M-Mudsplash.jpg
212_Land-Rover-dusty-road.jpg
425_Magg_xtrem.jpg
155_Frenchies-truck.jpg

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I've been giving this some thought (yes, I know, it's scary when an Army Grunt thinks). I don't like the excess weight that the tent would put on my rack, it would mess with my center of gravity, would have to be packed every time to move the truck, might get torn going through branches and would be tough for one guy to load onto the rack. Instead, I may decide to go with a tent trailer like Tentrax.

http://www.tentrax.com/

It would be easy to pack, easy to reach, can be detached to leave the tent up while I wheel, is more resistant to damage (protects the tent) and will help me haul other items like refrigerators, water, generator, etc. I can even get it to match the color scheme of my rig and put off-road tires and suspension on it. It will cost more, but will be a nice setup when I combine it with a drawer system for my cargo area (like Nugget).

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
How easy is the tent to set up Tim?

EASY!!!! very quick to open/ close. keep in mind you do have extra weight up top when wheeling. The exploring type trails, this is nice because you can deploy them in about 5 to 10 minutes tops, your matress stays in place, you can leave your beding in their too. But when your trip is all said and done, you do have to open it up, clean and make sure it's all dried out. you have to be cautious of mold on any of the RTT's. if you end up going with eitther an ARB or

evldave

Hey I'm a little late to this thread, but can offer some of my RTT experiences...

I have a used RTT I got off CL for $600. It's from Roof-top-tent.com and is a re-badged Mombassa. It took me close to a year to find the tent, mostly because I couldn't justify the $1,500 for a nice RTT, and I didn't want to go the super-cheap route. I got lucky since it was a demo model and the guy I bought it from had used it for all of about 10 nights.

I have an '06 H3 and an M416 I've used as a camp trailer for years. I was torn on whether to go the truck route or the trailer route. I've gone the trailer route so far, mostly because I already tow the trailer, and it has my oven, fridge, shower, gear, etc. It was no real extra work to throw the tent on the trailer, and I was pretty concerned about COG on the truck (mounting it would be easy as I have a custom rack already set up for RTT if I want).

A few other things to consider:

• On the truck, COG is obvious
  • On the truck, I like to drink. A tent 7' off the ground + a day of drinking = ER visit :)
  • On the truck, I would lose a lot of the carrying space on my roof rack. I have a Yakima Box on there now, and I'd have to move the Yakima Box to the trailer and the RTT to the truck - I used to have the Yakima on the trailer and really didn't like it much, simply because it was a little too long.
  • On the truck, Trying to close up the RTT on the roof rack would be difficult, and that's putting it nicely. Setup is easy (<2 minutes), but getting the cover zipped back on takes some work, and that would be a LOT harder on a roof rack (something I would have never thought of until I actually had the RTT)
  • On the trailer, I lose the changing room feature of the tent - this isn't a big deal because I already have an awning on the truck, but having that room would be nice (especially for showers, bathroom, etc)
  • On the trailer, the tent folds out over the tongue of the trailer, making it harder to open my fridge to get beer. I'll likely build a slide-out for the fridge to make it easier
  • On the trailer, it's MUCH easier to stabilize (just a simple stabilizer bar) - on the truck, there's more motion when you move around in the tent, and harder to stabilize that on the truck

When I got the RTT, I already pulled the trailer plenty of places offroad, so it was a no-brainer. Had I not already had the trailer, it would be a tough decision - I likely would have put it on the truck. Pulling a trailer off-road completely changes how you drive, your focus levels, how you pick a line, everything. It's more challenging and (especially solo) can get you in some real tough spots (like the time I had to back up over a mile on a FS road that dead-ended with nowhere to turn the trailer around).

Oh, and while I have no problem sleeping in a ground tent (did it just last weekend in 25 degree temps), there is absolutely no comparison - a RTT is soooo much more comfortable and convenient. It allows me the flexibility to spend more time exploring and drinking and less time messing around with a tent. It's like the difference between a cooler and a fridge, once you try it, it's very hard to go back :) That said, it's not for everyone...

So if I was to offer a suggestion, I'd say borrow a RTT from someone and try it out, or go cheap to start (resale value is high, I could probably sell mine for what I paid for it). Throw it on your roof and try it out. If you have a trailer you already pull, put it on there. AT or any of the other 'camp trailers' are awesome, but they are also VERY expensive, especially if you haven't experienced pulling a trailer offroad (especially technical trails) - do you really want to spend that cash only to find out you don't like the 'burden' of managing the trailer on the trail? Did I mention it's a lot of work to pull a trailer offroad? :)

And for the record on gas mileage, on long trips pulling the trailer I get around 12.5-13.5 mpg highway, 6-10 offroad (worst tank was 140 miles before light came on). Without the trailer, I get 14.5-15.5 highway, 10-12 offroad. If I had the RTT on top, I'd be eating the gas mileage on a regular basis (not that I care, but some people pay attention to that stuff)...

Some pics:

Best pic of it set up on it's inagural run...pouring down rain, I was soooo glad I had the tent :)

With Yakima box on the trailer (before RTT), somewhere outside Redwoods, CA

Somewhere on the WABDR last summer

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I've been giving this some thought (yes, I know, it's scary when an Army Grunt thinks). I don't like the excess weight that the tent would put on my rack, it would mess with my center of gravity, would have to be packed every time to move the truck, might get torn going through branches and would be tough for one guy to load onto the rack. Instead, I may decide to go with a tent trailer like Tentrax.

http://www.tentrax.com/

It would be easy to pack, easy to reach, can be detached to leave the tent up while I wheel, is more resistant to damage (protects the tent) and will help me haul other items like refrigerators, water, generator, etc. I can even get it to match the color scheme of my rig and put off-road tires and suspension on it. It will cost more, but will be a nice setup when I combine it with a drawer system for my cargo area (like Nugget).

I have to agree on the trailer versus the RTT for all the reasons you and evldave stated. I think we should start a seperate thread on off road camping trailers.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
You could be sitting high and somewhat dry in a RTT, but the Hummer would be a submarine.

Sircode13

You could be sitting high and somewhat dry in a RTT, but the Hummer would be a submarine.

That would be so true! That kinda brings to mind this video I watched on You-Tube where this nut drove his Humvee till it went completely underwater and proceeded to drive around the pond.
:banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
That would be so true! That kinda brings to mind this video I watched on You-Tube where this nut drove his Humvee till it went completely underwater and proceeded to drive around the pond.
:banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I dont think that was a HMMWV. It seemed like the russian made vehicle (just completely forgot what its called).