• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tough Country lift with add on leaf springs

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

So i've kept up with the lift threads here lately and i noticed sagging was a common problem with the rancho. Is this a recuring problem also for the tough country? Should i think about going the add a leaf route? What are the pros and cons? I've searched for this anwser but couldn't coming up with really anything. Thanks or the help.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Both rancho and tuff country had sagging issues on their lift kits. Hans had that issue the same rime I did. I was rancho he was tuff country...rancho is coming out with a leaf pack to avoid the sagging, im not sure that tuff country is making any changes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Tough Country's fix is for you to buy Warrior extended rear shackles. :wink: That fix works great, IMO. I also doubled-up on the add-a-leaves, but I do not think that is necessary at all.

PICT0357-1.jpg

phasesofliftcopy.jpg

bebe

Spring over will be easier - also, take a 3/4 ton main leaf, cut it down and add it below the Main leaf. This will lower your truck if it is still spring under, but you might be able to take out one of the lower leaves to correct it.

My pack has a couple of longer cut down over loads that we used as lift blocks, we have since removed one of them to level the truck a little after it settled.

The second leaf is the added one

IMG_3173-1.jpg

This is the pack pinned together

IMG_3177-1.jpg

bebe

I went through 2 sets of leaf spring when my rig was stock, but a lot of that had to do with all of the added racks, bumper ladders and wheeling gear.

The OEM H3 springs were pretty much at max just on the stock vehicle. When you start wheeling, flexing extending etc, they fatigue quickly. I had extended shackles on mine too, it made it look better, and gave the back a little lift, but when it wass really flexed out, it was scary because the main leaf was trying to invert, perfect scenario for snapping one.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
My stock ones are shot and for rocks deavers aren't ideal...should of done a spring over the first time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

Thanks for all the replies guys, i just want to make sure i get all this right so i don't run into any issues. Noted: 1.25" warrior shackles and extra leaf springs.

06 H3....what brand and part number you went with for your 1.75" spacers?

Hunner

Way back in the lost posts I expressed my concern with the shackles. I tried them just before one of my extended trips heavily loaded. By the time I returned I noticed the increased angle back of the longer shackles was putting down force further back and reverse arching the spring pack. The leaves were separating.
This shot was with it still packed up. On my H3 at least it also caused some rear end sway I did not care for.
I know some people like them for extended travel but in my case I have too many concerns for other components.
My thought is it will fatigue the springs even quicker.
Time will tell, I suppose. That was just my opinion or course.
It appears it is starting to doing that in that first shot Han's posted.
DAH_9817_resize.jpg

DAH_9818_resize.jpg

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
With these lifts and whatnot, honestly, there's probably 100 different ways to get them exactly how you want them.

My leaf packs have been fine so far on road travel, but I haven't wheeled on them yet. Time will tell. Worst case scenario is I get the new "improved" pack from Rancho eventually. Or Deavers, or go with a SOA, or....well, you get the idea. :wink:

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

Thanks for the info guys.

There isn't really rocks or boulders here in south Louisiana or on my hunting lease in north La but i do go through a hell of a lot of cotton and rice field mud when hunting so i think there won't be as much wear and tear on suspension so hopefully the add a leafs and warrior shackles should do the trick.

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

Okay so its been close to two months since i started the thread.

1-3/4" adapters are on order from motorsport-tech.( 2 week turn around time) Should be in by the end of next week or the following Monday. I went with the same exact ones 06 H3 went with.

1- 1/4" warrior shackles are sitting at my house, got them in yesterday

4" Tuff country w/ shocks and black shock boots ordered from SD Truck Springs will be in Mid next week.

After much consideration and lots of reading i decided to go with the full leaf spring pack not the add-a-leaf.

I won't be putting on the lift myself but a local shop here in Lafayette will be doing the work.

Once everything in i'll send my h3 off. The local 4x4 shop said two day turn around time.

Thanks for all the info guys i'll keep y'all updated once everything is in and pieced together.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Looking forward to the pix. What size tires are you running?

>Sent using Tapacrack<

07Custom

Dang it...I keep reading these threads and everyone keeps going on about SOA conversions like it's nothing. Before i entered this forum, I sort of felt like my mechanical knowledge was okay...but now I feel like an idiot lol Doing an SOA seems near impossible for me to do. I suck :no:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hey man dont get down on yourself! Think about this percentage...the amount of people talk about doing the SOA conversion to how many people actual do it. I know of 5 rigs who have done it. yours in the front end, bebe, 4speedfunk, some other random guy and one H3T who went to ORE and had it done. The GM engineers did it too but they dont count. I talk about it and a lot of other people do too. I plan on doing it...I just havent yet. Dont get down on yourself...it takes time, knowledge, guts to cut **** off your truck, and most importantly the space and tools to do it. I have the tools to do it and the time. Idk if I have the knowledge and I dont have the guts just yet. If I **** up it will go to a shop to correct my mistakes. Just dont get down on yourself. We all start somewhere...I started from the way bottom and am no where near the top but you just keep pushing yourself to do and learn more.

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I conquer with what Chris said. He's got real dedication to the brand and is always happy to help in any way he can. Start at your comfort level and continue to learn. I didn't know what a leaf spring even was when I started on these forums years ago. ...Now I understand it is some sort of metal doo-hingy that makes your truck's rear end ride okay. :wink: (And mine don't do that so well anymore!) :D

>Sent using Tapacrack<

05Mudiak

ok I am at the point that I need to do something this saggy ass is getting to me. I keep tossing around either the way Hans did his or the airbag route this way I can adjust how stiff" I want it.

My question is (since for some reason I can't find the thread) what air bag kit are people using? silverado or colorado? I think it was one of those heck I can't remember these last few months have been crazy around here

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

ok I am at the point that I need to do something this saggy ass is getting to me. I keep tossing around either the way Hans did his or the airbag route this way I can adjust how stiff" I want it.

My question is (since for some reason I can't find the thread) what air bag kit are people using? silverado or colorado? I think it was one of those heck I can't remember these last few months have been crazy around here

I'm going the way Hans went but, i'm going to try and nip it in the bud before my backend even sags. When my lift kit goes on so are the extended shackles, so later on down the road it will compensate for the saggy ass. If not then i will explore my options. This is one reason i've waited so long to lift my H3....I kept fighting the idea of lift or leave my H3 the way it is or just upgrade the suspension componets.

In the end i said screw it and went with the 4" Tuff country lift with the leaf spring pack and extended shackles.

05, i've noticed you have the tuff country as well, did you geaux the add a leaf route or leaf spring pack? How long before did your H3 start sagging?

Last edited:

05Mudiak

originally had the add a leafs and it only lifted it about 2". Ended up with Rancho rear packs and I am still a 1"-2" short of where I think it should be. I saggy saggy springs but I am thinking more towards these springs are niot strong enough to begin with. With the shackles they just put more stress on the packs and I have a feeling one good wheeling trip that felxes the truck out it will flatten out the spring. thats why I am thinking going with a full size second spring and airbags

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

So i'm running into problems and quickly becoming impatient. 1st off SD Truck springs has the lift kit on back order until Oct 15. Prior to finding this out i called twice asking about my lift kit and was told numerous times it was shipped on on its way for deliver. I get an email 2 days ago saying is on back order. So i called customer service and canceled my order. I let them know they need to update the website b/c it said they had the kit in stock. Now i have to wait 2 to 3 days for my money to post in my account before i can order a new one. 2nd problem....i ordered my custom adapters over two weeks ago, i was told 2 weeks max maybe sooner. I still don't have them in. No biggie i guess b/c i have no lift kit at the moment, thanks SD truck springs! Lastly, i've been looking for a new kit and...no luck back order, back order, back order. Every website i go to. All i can find is the add a leaf kits in stock. So its either that or pay $3,200 for the Rancho kit (installed and instock at 2 local 4x4 shops here in Lafayette) It sucks balls being pumped, ready for my kit to come in...had the appointment set at my local 4x4 shop and BAM! Back to square one.

backcountryislife

Keep in mind, airbags, though they seem like a reasonable choice... they will DESTROY flex in the rear. If you run them into one line you can keep some flex, by allowing air transfer (some guys I know who run sled decks do this so they can get up rougher roads to go sledding) but it's a shadow of what you would have without them.

Look at this:

s7_523600_999_01

and imagine trying to get it to do this: (Trekker's rig btw)

DSC07775_edited.jpg

Airbags are pretty much a highway only kind of thing in large part, they would be trashed quickly trying to stretch them to do a job like this.