• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Kurt's 1998 H1 Build Thread

Trevon

Oh man. That was a good read. Now I must ask did much of this come out because it was with a tour group before and just used quite a bit? I would like to know because I am about to go get a wagon that will become my almost daily driver (I drive my YFZ450 on nice days, that will be my only other vehicle). It seems in great shape, no off road evidence, and I wouldn't be ready for such large repairs...for a while. Thanks, good thread!

:edit: Just read 3hummers post...I guess that makes me feel a bit better :emb:

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Holy crap! I didn't know u had so many problems...

Another reason on why I will only buy an H1 from dave lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are lots of good trucks out there but you really need to look them over before you buy. Even buying a rough truck is ok, as long as you pay an appropriate price for the condition.

Pappibri

Awesome job.... Yeah that stinks that you ran into so many issues, but you stuck it thru and have a really sweet rig to show for it.. Good advice though.. Sometimes we are so geeked up about the buy, we are not as critical on our inspection.. Awesome write up..:thumbs:

LagunaH1

Anyone seriously considering buying an H1 _really_ needs to take the inspection seriously. If nothing else, that way you know what you get. Nothing quite as frustrating as expensive surprises.

Or, just buy from Dave ;-)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
LOL, buy from dave!

You are so far into this rig Kurt you should hold on to it for a good while! You can never put a price on the dedication and time put into a vehicle, you wont get your moneys worth

autumn walker

I enjoyed reading this thread - it's a good lesson learned.

I'm embarking on something similar with my new-to-me H2. There are a few (relatively minor) issues that I overlooked when I took delivery that are raising their heads now.

I'm glad you have taken the time to do things right though instead of duct tape and bandaids! Bravo!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's still a build thread especially as many of your repairs served two purposes: fix and upgrade. Very helpful thread for anyone who just bought or is contemplating an H1.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kurt, I had the extended UCP. It keep getting bent up into the drive shaft. Never had a problem with it off. My set is in the junk pile up at Tustin somewhere.