• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Do snorkel heads let in water?

nugget

I had always had my doubts about whether snorkels do let water in despite the drains around the hood etc.

When I fitted my snorkel, I made up a connection box to replace the flimsy plastic with joins which looked like they would leak like a sieve, with a fabricated aluminium box. It had always been my intention to neaten up the job with a machined box down the track and today I started that project by removing the snorkel.

The answer to whether or not snorkel heads let water in or not was pretty self evident…..

snorkel090post.jpg
[/IMG]

I had always had my doubts about duck bill drains, as in some testing I had done, they had always leaked. Anyone have experience with them where they do work, or a particular design or make which is very good? Having seen the amount of water the snorkel lets in, I think I may need to incorporate one in my revised design.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wayne, I think the trick with those things is to keep the air inlet ABOVE the water ......Just sayin'.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
i think there is only one way to find out
[video=youtube;JQ6Z29wHGLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6Z29wHGLw[/video]

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be a 15 on the 'ol Pucker Factor scale.

WTH is it with these crazy Aussies and water?

:wink:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ballsy or stupid to drive through that. Most snorkels leak at some point because it is hard to make and keep the connections sealed on a 4x4 vehicle.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I am not sure if the hilux is sensor heavy or not but either way im sure it has its fair share of issues now.