• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

steering rack

Major Tom

I just got back from the dealer having a leak on the inner tie rod boot checked. They told me the seal on the steering rack was bad and it is not a serviceable part and I needed a new steering rack. They quoted me $900 parts and labor. The new rack doesn't even come with new tie rods. I have seen the whole assembly on Ebay for under $300 with inner and outer 16mm tie rods (OEM parts). How hard is this to replace ?

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
The new rack used to/should come with a set of inner & outer tie rods & boots already attached on each side - mine did. The cost was somewhere between $400-450.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
And I think an installed price closer to $700 is more reasonable - that's what I paid after negotiation. I haven't done the work myself but from what I understand it isn't difficult but of course it would take some time.

I think you should absolutely insist on a rack with tie rods and that you are allowed to keep the old parts.

Reloader

I just discovered the same leak on my H3 on the right side. There is a tiny nick in the boot and lube oozes out when turning left. So I went to my local ex
Hummer dealer that does my warranty work to price one out. I'm into my powertrain warranty only now so its not covered even though it an oil lubricated
part . My price for a new rack complete with inner and outer tie rods and boots is $408.15 parts only. Shipping is included. That is 25% off retail. Thats a smoken deal
considering its new and has $200 cost worth of new inner and outer tie rods and boots included. Not sure what the labor time is . Probably a min of 3hr plus a toe set.
An aftermarket reman should be cheaper but we have had problems with them, especially A-1 Cardon't. I will only install a new one on mine if available.
The one I found on e-bay looked like a new unit but the gm part number didnt match the one with the one I got from the dealer.

Reloader

My service writer at the dealer just called me back and said its $300 for the labor to install a new rack with a toe set. So $700 is a fair price. I'd do
my own install and align but I'm still recovering from rotator cuff surgery and can't chance a re-injury. They won't let me back into the shop til its
healed completely.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think that part would be fine though when I calculated shipping it was $78. That might bring it close to your other deals.

Reloader

That's the one I found . The picture looks like a new one. But like Alrock says, with shipping its about the same as the dealer unit. And if the dealer or
some other shop installs the e-bay unit they probably won't warranty it if they didn't supply it. I know we wouldn't at our shop. You would be out the
labor plus the time waiting for a replacement.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
When doing a swap for the steering rack does this bolt have to come out?? If so, FML...My job will be made 10,000 times harder because of the rancho crossmember.

2012-02-11_18-32-16_681.jpg

3rdH3

Can't really tell from the pic but if it is on the bottom of the cylinder pointing slighty to the rear, the backlash adjustment is behind that bolt I think.

Major Tom

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_kw=hummer+rack+pinion

I just found this on Ebay (the second one) they are complete units with inner and outer 16mm tie rods for $200. I believe they are from the original manufacturer in Canada. He does not give a shipping price , pick up only in Ontario. They also have a video on You tube "hummer h3 rack and pinion" they claim to have over 500 units. Some body should go to Canada with a big truck

Major Tom

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...er+rack+pinion

I just found this on Ebay (the second one) they are complete units with inner and outer 16mm tie rods for $200. I believe they are from the original manufacturer in Canada. He does not give a shipping price , pick up only in Ontario. They also have a video on You tube "hummer h3 rack and pinion" they claim to have over 500 units. Some body should go to Canada with a big truck

Hunner

About all I could read was the map that showed a location possibly in Canada and one maybe in the Southern US. It was not very clear as to the location on the map. More research my be needed to find if indeed they have manufacturing locations on this continent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mando_Corporation
label7431.jpg

If they made some over here then this must be the motherload they were left with when GM dumped the H3!
So if people would add support to the pass side and prevent it from moving, they would reduce the possibility of breaking racks, and maybe this 500 will last us
awhile!:shifty:
Road trip??

Last edited:

Reloader

I had a phone call today from GM customer assistance concerning my steering rack issue. Seems there is a chance that GM might offer to pay for part of the repair.
It needs to be diagnosed at the dealership then a decision will be made by GM. Hey, I'll take any help they offer. Its possible they might meet me half way. Goes in
Monday morning.