• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

100,000 mile service ??

HUMMERDAD

I was wondering if anyone here has had this come up yet. I have been searching around trying to found out what all is involved with this service. I called a few dealers and get a different answer everytime she's got 114,000 on her now with a price of 700. to 1200 dollars for the services. I change my oil regularly but have not had anyting else done. I did check the maintance manual but its vague at best.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
If you drive the H3 as a family car, the regular schedule should be ok. If you off-road, always pick the 'severe' schedule on the maintenance schedule. However, I would highly recommend:
Transfer case drain and fill....
Transmission - Auto: backflush by a company using a GOOD quality machine (dealers are usually the best), that uses dexron VI for the backflush. DO NOT allow a flush using anything BUT the transmission fluid recommended (Dexron VI). Man: Drain and fill.
Front and rear differentials
Engine coolant drain, flush, fill.
And check all other items such as brakes, vacuum hoses under the hood and I'm probably forgetting something....

H3slate

Brush raked
Check your belt for any wear, and check or change your air filter. Check your shocks for any leaking, and check your front diff cross member bushing for wear.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HUMMERDAD

Which part is vague? It seems relatively clear to me. Not saying that as a wise guy....just if there is something specific, maybe we can help.

The vague part comes in with the dealer info keep getting different story's from what the manual states IE plug wires replace or not coils replace or not. Guess I am used to old fasion distributer plugs wirs fuel filter when I ask dealers the don't give much feed back. What I am looking for is what exactly needs to be done and not just what these dealers recommend.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't checked the manual but I would assume that a 100K service is a major one. It has been on any other vehicle I have had. As stated above I would expect all fluids/filters to be changed. ( oil, tranny, diffs, PS, Tcase, radiator, etc ) Some vehicles have recommended changing injectors. I would expect them to check everything from brakes to belts and have a list of wear items that need attention also. ( bushings, etc )

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
The vague part comes in with the dealer info keep getting different story's from what the manual states IE plug wires replace or not coils replace or not. Guess I am used to old fasion distributer plugs wirs fuel filter when I ask dealers the don't give much feed back. What I am looking for is what exactly needs to be done and not just what these dealers recommend.
I'd been dealing with Doug, my Jerry Seiner Salt Lake service manager for all of my dealer visits until one day Doug was out running around and his stoolie was sitting in for him. This guy took me by storm and did the razzle dazzle with comparing fluid colors to the chart and handing me a sheet with all the "required" services, which would have rung in at several hundred dollars. I was amazed and wondering WTF happened compared to what Doug and I had talked about and what the manual shows. Fortunately Doug showed back up and took over. The sheet I was handed is what the normal sheep get fed when they come in (which is the "dealer recommended" services and equals **** you don't need but costs a fortune), and Doug was kind enough to explain that I didn't need anything other than maybe an oil change, diffs and transfer case. He also went so far as to take care of my "difficulty engaging 4WD" which equated to upgrading the plastic shift fork on the H3 to an aluminum one--this took care of the transfer case lube, all under warranty.
Bottom line, either trust your service advisor, or get hosed. Thank God I could trust Doug. That, and he knew I broke enough parts to keep coming back for warranty service and beyond--so I didn't qualify as one of the normal "sheep".

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
100,000 miles? Check everything and replace what F5 said, though I would add the spark plugs to that list.

What else really needs maintenance at that time? If you haven't bled through the brake fluid it may be a good time to do that as well.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Fluids:

Coolant: Drain and flush your coolant and replace with either Dexcool or Zerex Extended Life (like Dexcool on steroids). Use either 50/50premix, or dilute the non-premix stuff 1:1 with distilled water. Replace your pressure cap while you're at it - get a GM cap, since most parts store caps are crap.

Automatic Transmission: Replace the fluid in your transmission. I am not a big fan of flushing as it can wash crap back into the VB. First option: drain the pan, refill, run for a few minutes to flush out the converter, then drain, replace filter, and refill again. Second option: Do the "Hoot" method. For this, you remove the cooler return line from the trans, attach a hose to the end with a hose clamp, and put the other end of the hose in a 5 gallon bucket. Drain the fluid, replace the filter, replace the pan, and fill to the "hot" line. Then, while you hold the hose in the pan, have an assistant start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds. If fluid stops coming out of the hose, that means the pan is dry. In that case, stop the engine immediately rather than going for the full 30 seconds. Re-attach the cooler line. Fill trans back to the cold line, drive around for a half hour to bring the trans to operating temp, and check fluid level while in park on a level surface with the engine running. Fill to the middle-top of the "Full Hot" hash mark area.

As for trans fluid, well, I wouldn't flush my toilet with Dex VI. There is still a persistent myth out there that Dex VI is fully synthetic - this IS NOT THE CASE. I would especially avoid non-synthetic versions if you live somewhere that gets really cold (below -30F). If you insist on using it, at least get a true synthetic version. I know it's what GM says to use, with dire warnings about what will happen if you use "non-approved" fluids. It's bull****. If you want the best, use an Allison TES-295 approved fluid. Another good, albeit expensive, choice would be Redline D6 ATF, which is their version of a 100% synthetic Dex VI. Scamsoil's version of Dex VI is probably fine as well.

Manual Transmission: Drain fluid and replace with a suitable synthetic.

Diffs: Drain fluid and replace with a good synthetic.

Transfer case: Drain fluid and replace. Don't use regular Dex VI - use whatever fully synthetic fluid you should have used in your automatic trans. Another excellent choice is Redline MTL, which won't break down and turn brown/black like the factory fill of Dex VI does.

Brakes/clutch: Suck out all the old brown fluid and fill with clean stuff. Then bleed the calipers one at a time until clean fluid comes out. Make sure to keep the MC full to prevent air from getting sucked in to your brake lines - it will take you forever to bleed it out.

Fuel filter: This should be replaced every 25k. If you have never done it, do it now and replace at 25k intervals from here on out. I bet you will find new power from your wheezing I-5 that you never knew you had lost ;)

Check all your suspension components: Put your front end on jack stands, pull the tires, and check for looseness in the suspension components. Check the unit bearings (spit!) for play, rumble, and noise. If it seems questionable, replace it. Keep in mind that no rubber bushing in the suspension will be good after this many miles. Replace em. You can use urethane replacements which will probably last the life of the truck at the expense of slightly more transmitted noise and vibration.

Check your U-joints: Modern OE U-joints are "lubed for life"... the life of the joint that is, which may be done by the 100k mark.

Spark Plugs: Most these days have 100k change-out intervals. Don't worry about the rest of the ignition system components, injectors, etc. unless there is an issue like persistent misfires on one cylinder. These ain't like the old days of distributors and carburetors.

There's probably more, but that's all I have right now.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I thought our fuel filter was in the gas tank though I could be incorrect. Could be a tough replacement.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Apparently you guys are correct - the filter is part of the in-tank assembly. That has to be one of the most ****ed up things I have heard of in my life :rolleyes: Whoever the GM engineer was that came up with that needs to be tied up to a tree, and everyone that comes by kicks him in the balls. I have seen fuel filters at 50k miles that I couldn't hardly blow any air through. I guess having H3 owners pay $600 for a fuel filter replacement is GM's idea of another revenue stream :mad:

HUMMERDAD

Thank you for all the information, I do agree on the trans fluid I currently run royal purple in the engine and I am concidering it for the diff's and trans. I reciently had the tierods replaced when they gave out under warrenty whew had a bad clunk at the time. Looking to see what the trans is going to cost to upgrade the internals as shes starting to slip in overdrive. To all again thank you..

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Apparently you guys are correct - the filter is part of the in-tank assembly. That has to be one of the most ****ed up things I have heard of in my life :rolleyes: Whoever the GM engineer was that came up with that needs to be tied up to a tree, and everyone that comes by kicks him in the balls. I have seen fuel filters at 50k miles that I couldn't hardly blow any air through. I guess having H3 owners pay $600 for a fuel filter replacement is GM's idea of another revenue stream :mad:

It's the same thing in the Charger, Challenger, 300 & Magnums. Probably other Chrysler/GM products too... :gaah:

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Thank you for all the information, I do agree on the trans fluid I currently run royal purple in the engine and I am concidering it for the diff's and trans.

Royal purple generally seems to make good products, but they tend to be overpriced for what they are. $17+ for a quart of PAO-based diff oil? I don't think so. My personal favorite for diff oil is Redline 75W-90. For that matter, Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic gear oils will get the job done just fine.

For ATF, I am adamant when I say the best is an Allison TES-295 fluid. There are only two, or possibly 3, makers of TES-295 fluids because the approval process is long and fairly expensive. Castrol makes Transynd, which was the original TES-295 fluid. Mobil makes Delvac Synthetic ATF, which is the second independently manufactured TES-295 fluid. I'm not sure if Cognis makes their own fluid or if they repackage Castrol or Mobil fluid. All of the other TES-295s are repackaged Transynd, which automatically get TES-295 approval as a result. Here's the list of Allison TES-295 approved fluids:

Castrol Transynd (usually has a big Allison label on it, since it is sold through Allison dealers)
Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF (Must say Delvac Synyhetic - Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is NOT the same thing!)
Cognis Emgard 2805 (Not sure if Cognis makes this or if it is repackaged Transynd)
BP Lubricants Autran Syn 295 (BP is Castrol's parent company, and Autran is simply relabeled Transynd)
International Truck & Engine Fleetrite Synthetic ATF (repackaged Transynd)
John Deere & Company HD SynTran (repackaged Transynd)
Volvo Trucks North America Bulldog Synthetic ATF (repackaged Transynd)

Most places get $35-$45 per gallon for Transynd or Delvac. However, W.W. Williams, which is the Phoenix Allison distributor, sells it for $25 per gallon, which is $6.25 per quart. That's cheaper than non-synthetic Dex VI at Autozone. So, it pays to price it out at your local Allison distributor.

DISCLAIMER: Transynd and other TES-295 fluids are NOT Dex VI approved, and never will be due to A) slightly higher viscosity, and B) Dex VI uses a spec add pack which is inferior to Transynd's add-pack, and Allison isn't going to downgrade their product to meet GM's spec. Since it is not an approved Dex VI product, it could theoretically void your warranty. In reality, it would only void your warranty if you opened your yap and told the service guys what you're using - when in doubt, lie your ass off. So, while I will stake my claim on the stuff, in the end it's your transmission and your warranty. I will say that there are a LOT of 4L60E's and 4L80E's out there running it, and I have yet to hear of any issues. Todd is running it in his 4L80E, and in his opinion it is the best shifting automatic he has ever had in any vehice (OK, it's been built, but still.....). So, take from that what you will...

Last edited:

H3slate

Brush raked
I can speak to having the dealer not like what you have in your transmission. I was using Royal Purple in my manual transmission and had my truck at the dealer for warranty service. I was trying to get them to fix the transmission, I was having some issues with third and reverse not letting me change into those gears. They charged me to refill the transmission with dex VI, which was quite spendy at the dealer.

HUMMERDAD

This is what I can say for royal purple , I have had it both my veichles the H2 got it around 50,000 miles when I bought it and my wife's toyota put it in at the same milage. The kicker her car has the 4 banger with auto trans just rolled over 173,000 miles. The oil gets changed on both between 6,000 to 8,000 miles have pushed 12,000 a couple of times on hers with no problems. I had a major tune up done around 160,000 and the mechanic pulled off the valve cover and saw no build up of sludge. The car runs great and the H2 does as well minus the tune up.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Bump...myth or mythbusted...never change the tranny fluid unless you've always done it then by all means go right ahead.for example I'm at 103k mikes and doubt the tranny has ever been drained and filter changed. It's running fine...leave it be or include it in the service specs mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the useful info posted gents.
and to change the fuel filter I have to drop the fuel tank.? Thanks mr engineer, I bet his twin brother designed the sun roof drain plugs...what an evil bunch those 2 sheesh

f5moab

Mr. Beretta

Wow, never read this before, but I would not advice kicking him in the balls, he will most likely kick back, and if it is one of the engineers I'm thinking of, it will not be your balls, but your forehead that will be kicked. :giggle: But I have to ask how many people on this forum have ever had to replace their in-tank fuel filter? Not only on this vehicle, but go back quite a few years on any and all GM vehicles (other than diesel). How many?

I honestly do not know of anyone who has ever had to replace their in-tank fuel filter for normal maintenance or for any other reason other than an accidentally contamination from a foreign substance.

Your pretty up there in the years just like me (probably not that far along) do you remember fuel pumps at AMOCO stations having a filter on the hose? Notice they not longer have those filters.

The biggest causes of contamination in a closed fuel system was rust from the vehicle's metal tanks, rust from the in-ground fuel station tanks, water from the in-ground fuel tanks, and just general debris that got into the metal in-ground fuel tanks. Well, as much as the Federal government makes up regs that i hate, one regulation they made up was all in-ground fuel tanks had to be replaced by fiberglass tanks on a given date. Can't remember the date, but it was a long time ago.

So, once these tanks were in the ground, in-ground fuel tanks no longer rusted internally, they also no longer had rust holes that allowed debris or water to enter, thus that **** could not be pumped into your vehicle.

Then the auto manufactures started to use plastic fuel tanks (primarily high-density polyethylene), so they no longer rusted, thus solving the other problem with fuel contamination. At that point many of the manufacturers removed the inline fuel filter and just added a sock type at the end of the fuel pump siphon hose. Fuel today is very clean, unless you store it for a long period in a metal tank somewhere. Not many of us do that; I don't think.

Again I ask, who here has had to replace their in-tank fuel filter (commonly know as the sock)? I have had quite few GM vehicles over the past twenty some years, and most have had the sock filter, and I have never had to have one pulled out and cleaned or replaced. In fact, the last filter I ever replaced was back in approx. 1972, prior to the in-ground fiberglass tanks and prior to plastic in vehicle tanks. That was back in the days of AMOCO and their pump hose filter.

It can happen, if someone pours in a contaminate. If someone hates you and pours some sand into the tank...peeing in it won't clog the sock filter.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Bump...myth or mythbusted...never change the tranny fluid unless you've always done it then by all means go right ahead.for example I'm at 103k mikes and doubt the tranny has ever been drained and filter changed. It's running fine...leave it be or include it in the service specs mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the useful info posted gents.
and to change the fuel filter I have to drop the fuel tank.? Thanks mr engineer, I bet his twin brother designed the sun roof drain plugs...what an evil bunch those 2 sheesh

From an engineering point of view; a backflush, WITH THE CORRECT equipment is the fastest and best way to go for a trans flush. We did massive studies on this at GM, on older fleet vehicles, employee vehicles and never had a problem. But we used a Kent Moore flushing tool; not one of those fifty dollar ones used at places like Jiffy Lube. Most, NOT ALL, GM dealers will use the Kent Moore tool. Heck even Moab Chevy had the Kent Moore machine and I had mine flushed a few times, and when I drove it the last time to the dealer last week, it shift with no problems.
I have recommended flushes to many people and never had anyone call me and say it was not a good idea.

And fluids like trans fluid do deteriorate over time, due to heat and other reasons, so changing them is a good idea. But it is your trans, not mine.
As for the fuel filter...why change it if nothing is wrong with it? It does not wear, it does not deteriorate over time, and chances are it will last as long as the fuel pump, and a new fuel pump has a new sock on it.
So before cussing out the GM engineers, learn about things first and don't take it as being evil cause one person says so.

Last edited:

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Wow, never read this before, but I would not advice kicking him in the balls, he will most likely kick back, and if it is one of the engineers I'm thinking of, it will not be your balls, but your forehead that will be kicked. :giggle: But I have to ask how many people on this forum have ever had to replace their in-tank fuel filter? Not only on this vehicle, but go back quite a few years on any and all GM vehicles (other than diesel). How many?

I honestly do not know of anyone who has ever had to replace their in-tank fuel filter for normal maintenance or for any other reason other than an accidentally contamination from a foreign substance.

Your pretty up there in the years just like me (probably not that far along) do you remember fuel pumps at AMOCO stations having a filter on the hose? Notice they not longer have those filters.

The biggest causes of contamination in a closed fuel system was rust from the vehicle's metal tanks, rust from the in-ground fuel station tanks, water from the in-ground fuel tanks, and just general debris that got into the metal in-ground fuel tanks. Well, as much as the Federal government makes up regs that i hate, one regulation they made up was all in-ground fuel tanks had to be replaced by fiberglass tanks on a given date. Can't remember the date, but it was a long time ago.

So, once these tanks were in the ground, in-ground fuel tanks no longer rusted internally, they also no longer had rust holes that allowed debris or water to enter, thus that **** could not be pumped into your vehicle.

Then the auto manufactures started to use plastic fuel tanks (primarily high-density polyethylene), so they no longer rusted, thus solving the other problem with fuel contamination. At that point many of the manufacturers removed the inline fuel filter and just added a sock type at the end of the fuel pump siphon hose. Fuel today is very clean, unless you store it for a long period in a metal tank somewhere. Not many of us do that; I don't think.

Again I ask, who here has had to replace their in-tank fuel filter (commonly know as the sock)? I have had quite few GM vehicles over the past twenty some years, and most have had the sock filter, and I have never had to have one pulled out and cleaned or replaced. In fact, the last filter I ever replaced was back in approx. 1972, prior to the in-ground fiberglass tanks and prior to plastic in vehicle tanks. That was back in the days of AMOCO and their pump hose filter.

It can happen, if someone pours in a contaminate. If someone hates you and pours some sand into the tank...peeing in it won't clog the sock filter.

I was unaware that actual, real fuel filters are being eliminated on newer GM vehicles. When alrock said the filter was in-tank, I assumed it was a real filter after the pump, integrated into the fuel filter assembly. Elimination of the filter entirely is a bean-counters wet dream, not sound engineering practice. I guess they figure any crap that makes it through the sock will make it through the injectors. Ford, OTOH, still seems to realize that you can get contaminated fuel, and they still put actual in-line fuel filters on their current vehicles (well, their trucks anyway - not sure about their entire line-up).

Last edited:

chaos254

I was unaware that actual, real fuel filters are being eliminated on newer GM vehicles. When alrock said the filter was in-tank, I assumed it was a real filter after the pump, integrated into the fuel filter assembly. Elimination of the filter entirely is a bean-counters wet dream, not sound engineering practice. I guess they figure any crap that makes it through the sock will make it through the injectors. Ford, OTOH, still seems to realize that you can get contaminated fuel, and they still put actual in-line fuel filters on their current vehicles (well, their trucks anyway - not sure about their entire line-up).
Ford has gone away from using external filters too. Diesels are pretty much it for external filters