• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 Knock sensor replacement thread (from my archives)

Chastan

From last fall....

Well I started late this evening after work. I have everything off and will reinstall tomorrow. I have a few items I need to wash off in the sun. Here are some pics of my progress so far.

100_2404.jpg

100_2405.jpg

100_2408.jpg

100_2411.jpg

100_2412.jpg

100_2413.jpg

Chastan

Finished up this afternoon. I would say all together this took me about 5 hours. That also included the time I spent washing out a lot of mud from engine bay and radiators. I also took the opportunity of replacing the serpentine belt.

I was going to go out of my way to seal off the foam ends but realized the main problem is the intake seal kit lets things into the "void" all along the engine block. Lousy design.

Runs great. Got a flashing engine light couple of minutes at first start up but could not get a code. I am assuming that it was the injectors getting back to working "condition"

Major Power difference from when the knock sensors are not working and the ignition timing gets all screwed up.

I had a piece of scaffolding I was going to set up across the front/top of the engine bay. I did not really regret not using it until the end when I was trying to set everything back in. Next time I think I would take the time to set it up and use it.

100_2442.jpg

100_2446.jpg

100_2448.jpg

100_2449.jpg

100_2450.jpg

100_2452.jpg

100_2451.jpg

Chastan

... said:
That was pretty cool! This is probably a stupid question but gonna ask it anyway. What is the knock sensor and exactly what does it do? I realize from the thread you had a error message and fuel issue or running problem. My hats off to you for fixing that yourself....

I found this Youtube video interesting as it relates to what the knock sensor does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus
[video=youtube;GGJZ6kKzLus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus[/video]

Last edited:

Big2dabank

Just wanted to resurrect thus thread in case some of our new H2 members were experience issues with knock sensor, especially since John did such a good job writing this up.