• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My 97 Engine?

crank

The Master Blaster!
My 97 has a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. It says GM on the engine. Thats about all I know about it. Can someone tell me the engine make and model? Or possibly what other vehicle this engine might be in? Looking up a 97 H1 Hummer or AM General doesn't click for some reason.
I've been calling around asking different shops for help with this damn starter and trying to explain to each of them what I have, is like talking to the wall. As soon as I say Hummer H1 and 6.5L Turbo Diesel, they say "What, or Ive never seen a Hummer with a Diesel", or some other stupid a$$ answer. These shops specialize on Diesel engines repair. I tried to explain it has a GM 6.5L T Diesel, they still can't understand what this vehicle is.. If I can give them more info on this engine and what other vehicles use it, I think I might be better off.

I don't have any words on how frustrated I am right now.
My starter is not installed yet. My neighbor and I worked on this starter for a couple days now. We both tried to get that thing out and the new one put in with no luck. He's given up on this now. On a good note, we did find a lot of potential problems and fix them but this starter is crazy. It shouldn't be this big of a hassle. It also shouldn't be a hassle finding some shop somewhere that will work on it! I just don't understand why! You would think that some shop would like the business!
Sorry for the rant guys......

hummech

it is a 6.5l turbo diesel. GM used that engine in their G van models. there are two different 6.5 turbo engines that GM used. 1) is a 6.5 turbo used in their truck line which has a side mounted turbo on that engine and 2) the 6.5 turbo that was used on their G van line and that is the unit that Hummer used. it has a valley mounted turbo.
hummer used two versions on the 6.5l turbo engine, there is a vin Z model which is used on the earlier applications and a vin F which is the later,upgraded version.
if you look for a after market engine part, have the parts store look up a 1998 - 2000 GM G van and it is all pretty much the same.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"

crank

The Master Blaster!
While I'm on this subject....
One of my problems is getting the H1 to a shop. A couple shops say they need to see it before they can say they will fix it. My question is, Can I keep turning the key until the starter finally kicks in? If it clicks a bunch of times and on the next key turn, it starts, will that hurt it?

LagunaH1

Good luck Joe. The fact that some shops don't recognize a GM 6.5 liter TD by its description would make me beyond hesitant to take my truck there. As far as I know, it's a pretty well known engine.

crank

The Master Blaster!
You know... You would think so...

Good luck Joe. The fact that some shops don't recognize a GM 6.5 liter TD by its description would make me beyond hesitant to take my truck there. As far as I know, it's a pretty well known engine.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe you won't hurt anything that isn't already hurt by continuing to try to start the starter. It is a GM 6.5 TD motor with a 4L80E transmission. They went into a gazillion vehicles and every shop you are talking to has fixed a 100 of them. The Pantera had a 351 Ford Cleveland motor in it and some shops were scared of it because it was in a Pantera. Mind boggling.

crank

The Master Blaster!
I think your right about that. When I told them it was a H1 Hummer made by American General, at first it was dead silence and then "A WHAT"? Hummer H1 Detroit GM 6.5L Turbo.... "A What"? After that conversation went through a few other versions of that statement, they finally said "We don't work on those or I don't know what your talking about, you need to bring it to someone else". Engine parts are the same. The starter was fun until I got the part number from here. I think if I tell them the engine again in a different body, then they might know what I'm talking about.

Regarding the "trying to start the engine over and over again", I'll keep trying to crank it until I can't anymore.
Thanks

Joe you won't hurt anything that isn't already hurt by continuing to try to start the starter. It is a GM 6.5 TD motor with a 4L80E transmission. They went into a gazillion vehicles and every shop you are talking to has fixed a 100 of them. The Pantera had a 351 Ford Cleveland motor in it and some shops were scared of it because it was in a Pantera. Mind boggling.

Kurt

Early on before I met Hummech, I took my H1 to a diesel shop, one look under the hood and the techs said "We won't touch it you'll have to take it to a dealer".

Which wasn't a problem. But H1 owners in Socal are lucky, we have a few places that can work on H1's down here.

I think you are bumping into clueless service reps or receptionists on the phone and not the actual mechanics. Remember most people think Hummer = H2.

crank

The Master Blaster!
If your lucky they think Hummer = H2. I posted last month that I was trying to go through a bank and insurance. That was crazy! The bank didn't know what a Hummer was. Period! I had to send them pictures and the NADA website links. Insurance and our DMV had no idea what a Hummer was. I had to explain that it was the main cause of Global Warming! Then they knew!

Early on before I met Hummech, I took my H1 to a diesel shop, one look under the hood and the techs said "We won't touch it you'll have to take it to a dealer".

Which wasn't a problem. But H1 owners in Socal are lucky, we have a few places that can work on H1's down here.

I think you are bumping into clueless service reps or receptionists on the phone and not the actual mechanics. Remember most people think Hummer = H2.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Orrr yiu could just drive it through the shops and be like "this! Is my 6.5L turbo diesel!" Haha jkjk that might be pricy and ens up with the authorities getting involved lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

crank

The Master Blaster!
Do you think I can out run them? I mean, once I get on the highway and kick in my turbo!

Orrr yiu could just drive it through the shops and be like "this! Is my 6.5L turbo diesel!" Haha jkjk that might be pricy and ens up with the authorities getting involved lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
This is kinda strange, The shops in Rapid City seem to be very eager to try to work on it. I took it to a Sinclair station when I needed some helping figuring out my brakes, so i spent the day there learning how to get what needed to be done. :) Good luck with your starter problem!