• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 Fog Light Mod

Steve #1

So the H3's headlamp setup sucks.

In most cases it seems you get better lighting with the low beams and the fog lamps vs the high-beams which kill the fog lights.

This mod will will turn on the fog lamps with the hi-beams.

NOTE: The dash switch will not control the fog lights when the high-beams are on. If the high-beams are on, the fogs will be on also. The switch will still control the fog lights with the low beams as normal.

Check you local laws as this my not be legal for on road use.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Time Required: ~ 15 Min.

Tools Needed:
One (1) SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay.
Five (5) pieces of wire 8" - 12" each 18- 20 AWG is fine
Five (5) female spade connectors
Wire Strippers
electrical tape

You will also need one of the two following options or a combination of the two.

Option one:
Two (2) Butt Connectors
3 Scotch Connectors
Crimpers
Pliers

Option two:
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Shrink Tubing / or electrical tape

Step one: Remove the cover from the fuse box under the hood.

3445740916_0f3b59b615.jpg

Remove the fuse box by releasing the tabs at each end and pulling up. The passenger side may be a little stiff. Wiggle it some and you may want to use a tool under the loop (you'll understand when you see it) as a handle to pull up.

3445741318_8c5c5de79e.jpg

Step three:
Lift the fuse box up out of your way and remove the plugs from under the box. Push the tabs in on the ends and they will come loose. Be very careful when removing the fuse box as they can break especily on earlier models and they are not cheap to replace.

3445741792_6fe64659e1.jpg

Step four:
Pull the plugs up so they are on top of the fuse panel so you have room to work and remove the back from the WHITE plug.

3445742752_cecb0d628f.jpg

3445742364_ef48bfc0d2.jpg

Time to wire:

3445883936_4df884b4a7_o.jpg

3445068299_76b73f2429_o.jpg

Connect a spade connector to one end of each of your five wires.

Clip the yellow pin 29 wire midway between the plug and the wire loom. Use your butt connectors or solder and attach one of your prepped wires to each side of the yellow pin 29 wire.

Attach the one going to the plug to the common post on the relay.
Attach the side coming from the harness to the normally closed post on the relay.

Use a scotch connector and one prepped wire to:
connect the pin 8 orange wire to the normally open post on the relay.
connect the pin 34 ground to one side of the relay coil.

Unplug the driver side headlamp and use a scotch connector and your last prepared wire to connect the blue wire on the headlight plug to the other side of the relay coil.

I used a thin relay and was able to fit it under the fuse panel when I put it back together.

Put everything back together an check to see if it works.

If anything here isn't clear, ask and I'll try to make it more understandable.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Nice write up. I was going to do something similar to this. Just haven't had the time. Thanks!!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

AlaskaDan

Could I use a Double Pole Double throw and have low beams stay on with highbeams and fogs? Or would this be too much heat for the bulbs and they would blow?