Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Low Profile
    Thanks
    I would like to refute this "it's not 1972 anymore" attitude that is effectively making excuses for mechanics who haven't kept up with technology.

In modern cars, the computers and modules in the car are constantly logging information about what is going on.

and expect they can just plug their car it into "The Machine" which then of course instantly identifies the problem and a giant glowing arrow descends form the heavens to point at what part to replace or repair.
    The "machine" spits out information about what the computer is doing, or trying to do, or measuring, or what communication and control data is being sent where and whether it is communicating successfully. It is the mechanics job to understand what to do with this information, using it like a roadmap to lead to a set of testable hypothesis about what is causing the problem.

If the mechanic isn't hooking up a laptop to your car and pulling communication errors, looking at voltages, and attempting to re-create the problem while the laptop is monitoring all modules and circuits that could be related to the problem, then take it somewhere else.

If the mechanic is tearing your car apart to find a wiring problem that may or may not be there, take it somewhere else; there are more intelligent ways to determine which wires may be a problem.

It's not 1972 anymore, we don't even have to get our hands dirty to diagnose many problems on cars, but we DO have to use our minds.

One of the frustrating things about this, is that, the current "industry" for car repair, operates on the premise that it is more profitable to play the "throw parts at it" game with the customer. They will usually be very careful about how they tell the customer what is going on. "Based on our experience/knowledge, this part swap has a high likelihood of solving the problem but we can't guarantee anything, would you like to proceed with this?" They will carefully transfer the liability for success/failure to the customer. The part swap, will typically pay at least 1-2 hours labor plus the markup on the part. The customers money would have been better spent on 2 hours of diagnostic work but sadly, they exhausted their entire diagnostic capability on the dart board of guesswork in the first 5 minutes.
    Last edited by mdocod; 07-14-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Bogger
    Thanks
    I am not a mechanic and for sure not very well involved in electrical stuff, but in my specific case, I realized where my problem was when then electrician/mechanic couldnt, and rhat was when I plugged in my obd2 adapter and logged all fuel related sensors using the torque app on my android phone. Then I realized my fuel rail pressure was pegged to some random low number (7.23.... psi).
    Now obviously no way my fuel pump is supplying such pressure the entire time my truck was running and thats when I pointed out were the problem was and thats how a months long ordeal was done.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

09 H3 V8, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Arctic Silver, 35s, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x8 Front 17x9 Rear, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, Daystar 1" Body Lift, Borla Performance Cat-Back, custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

Street Tire
    Thanks
    You should try the manufacturer diagnostic tech challenges, you obviously know more than anyone else, may as well get the rewards for it. Of course you would have to be able to diagnose and repair 6-10 problems in 4 hours that the engineers rigged on one of their vehicles just for smart guys like you. Probably easier and less embarrassing to just keep typing like you already know everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    I would like to refute this "it's not 1972 anymore" attitude that is effectively making excuses for mechanics who haven't kept up with technology.

In modern cars, the computers and modules in the car are constantly logging information about what is going on.

The "machine" spits out information about what the computer is doing, or trying to do, or measuring, or what communication and control data is being sent where and whether it is communicating successfully. It is the mechanics job to understand what to do with this information, using it like a roadmap to lead to a set of testable hypothesis about what is causing the problem.

If the mechanic isn't hooking up a laptop to your car and pulling communication errors, looking at voltages, and attempting to re-create the problem while the laptop is monitoring all modules and circuits that could be related to the problem, then take it somewhere else.

If the mechanic is tearing your car apart to find a wiring problem that may or may not be there, take it somewhere else; there are more intelligent ways to determine which wires may be a problem.

It's not 1972 anymore, we don't even have to get our hands dirty to diagnose many problems on cars, but we DO have to use our minds.

One of the frustrating things about this, is that, the current "industry" for car repair, operates on the premise that it is more profitable to play the "throw parts at it" game with the customer. They will usually be very careful about how they tell the customer what is going on. "Based on our experience/knowledge, this part swap has a high likelihood of solving the problem but we can't guarantee anything, would you like to proceed with this?" They will carefully transfer the liability for success/failure to the customer. The part swap, will typically pay at least 1-2 hours labor plus the markup on the part. The customers money would have been better spent on 2 hours of diagnostic work but sadly, they exhausted their entire diagnostic capability on the dart board of guesswork in the first 5 minutes.
    09 H3T Alpha/Adv- |Tuned |Starr Hid |Thor Bumper |Airdoc |UCP |American Roll Tonneau |Arb Compressor |Katzkins |Kenwood |

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

The thing is; I've been around a long time and I've learned that people's minds don't operate like this. Some people just can't picture things in their minds. I tried to explain stuff to my ex-GF like this and she just put a wall up and it became useless to explain further. Carrying this idea over to electronics I had thirty years in telecommunications. In the early days we had mechanical switching and you could see what's happening and physically do call traces through the office. When electronic switching came in to being we had to learn a new concept, "virtual paths". You can't see what the computer is doing so you have to picture in your mind what's going on. And a lot of people just don't get it and their minds don't operate that way. So it's like anything relating to service these days; try to get referrals regarding specific repairs needed on your vehicle. Go where the best talent is and in my opinion it's not necessarily a dealer.