• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

zefrum

I've been taking care of keeping the fluids changed with full synthetic penzoil but Im concerned. My 100K mile 2009 alpha is almost 10yrs old, is my daily driver and I have been doing a lot of towing lately. I have made 3 summer time round trips of 3400 miles pulling anywhere from 8K to 3500lbs over the past 2 years. I have no tranny cooler, nearly bone stock in the engine compartment. There are noises sometimes, more when the weather is cool, like a click noise when accelorating, even lightly, from a stop, that feels like its comming from below the shifter.

So, not knowing anything about transmissions, other than putting good fluid in, at or before the change interval, what should I be prepared to BUY that is an Upgrade to the current alpha version of the 4l60?

What transmission cooler should I get too? -I've seen some that split the transmission and engine coolant circuit, and I get why thats best, but then how should I reconeect the engine coolant plumbing? New Thermostat? New Radiator?

One other thing Im thinking about doing is a 6.2l swap, but at a later date, and would like it to work with the upgrade transmission I may have to install sooner than later.

Thanks!

Upgrades Installed:
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar | Air Doc | Michelin Defender LTX M/S | Scorpion Diff Bushing & Steering Gear Bracket | JET Perfromance Throttle Body | Odyssey AGM Battery | Trailer Brake Controller | Outfitter Heavy Duty Tie Rods | LineX Floor | Roof Markers | FOX 2.0 Shocks | Diamond Back Cover - Black | Andersen No Sway Weight Distributing Hitch 8" drop | Superchips 89 octane tow tune | GM SS Perfromance Cat Back

Parts the Dealers and Repair Shops Broke, Replaced, and Tried To Charge me For:
Alternator | OEM Battery | Steering Pump | Cooling Fan Clutch | Filter Box Lid x2 |

Upgrades Not Installed Yet:
Thor H3T Rear Bumper | ARB Snorkel | ARB Rear Diff Cover & Breather | Light Racing Jounce Bumpers | Rear Air Bags | Power Tank 10lb CO2 | ARB Offroad Lights w/LINX | Moog Caster and ALignment Kit

Future Upgrade:
6.2l swap | Upgraded Tranny

Mud Shoes:
OEM 18" Wheels w/Duratracs

Bowser-II

Are you looking to add the transmission cooler before the radiator cracks or after a problem with the current transmission?

Just adding the cooler now can save you time to save money for a different transmission if you really want to go that route. It's a pretty straight forward job, there are several good guides on H4O.

If your towing you will want a large cooler. I think most folks are using something in the 14,000~24,000 but range. I don't remember mine, but it is on the larger side because of towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk