• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H1 odometer replacement

Rolltide0323

Does anyone know the procedure that Hummer would have followed to replace a broken odometer? I’m looking at an H1 that has had its odometer replacement sticker in the door jamb. Question is why was the new odometer not set to the actual mileage of the Hummer and set at zero. The sticker says it was replaced at 4xxxx miles and it currently has less miles on the odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deserth3

I could be wrong. But I believe it's illegal to adjust a speedometer.
Back in the day some used car dealers would role back the numbers so they could charge more for the vehicle.

TACMEDIC

Usually, the claimed mileage of 4xxxx was the last mileage on the old odometer. The new odometer usually starts at 0000 miles. You could add both mileage to get a new claimed mileage.

I have new odometers on the shelf for both on my Hummers (1995 and 2001) and I could swap them easily, but it would be hard to tell the true mileage then.

Rolltide0323

Thanks guys. The guy selling it was upfront about the mileage but there are mileage issues on the car fax because 1 owner wasn’t aware of the mileage and registered it with 2xxxx something miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk