• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Steering Rack Reinforcement kit

DFW Spartan

Thinking about doing the steering rack upgrade. Looking for feedback on either of the following two kits. Is one better than the other?

- Outfitter Design
- Mayhem Metal works

Do either of these kits replace the rack mount bushings, or would you order the Siberian poly steering rack bushings and replace them at the same time?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lsv_palana

Thinking about doing the steering rack upgrade. Looking for feedback on either of the following two kits. Is one better than the other?

- Outfitter Design
- Mayhem Metal works

Do either of these kits replace the rack mount bushings, or would you order the Siberian poly steering rack bushings and replace them at the same time?

i use mayhem metal works.. works fine !

Отправлено с моего SM-N950F через Tapatalk

JPaul

Both of those kits also replace the two steering rack bushings. I only used the Siberian bushings on mine because I bought the bracket second hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Still have not changed the steering rack bushings since installing the Scorpworks steering rack bracket in Feb 2013. Five years later, 60,000 miles, numerous trails including five trips to Moab, and my rack is holding strong. I don't have any intention of changing the other bushings.

JPaul

After I pulled my bushings out I realized they aren't badly designed at all, they're a pretty hard rubber really, and they showed no real sign of degradation. With how they are configured there is no real way for the rack to flex around very much. The real issue was the metal strap clamp on the other end that would allow it to move around and end up cracking the joint between the aluminum body and the metal tube, which really only happens because the aluminum body is held in place so well by the two bushings.

rascole

- Outfitter Design
- Mayhem Metal works

Have you looked at the Scorpworks kit? I can second what Alrock says, mine has held up with numerous off road trips.

DFW Spartan

I knew Scorpworks offers a Front Diff Crossmember bushing replacement. I didn't know they also made a steering rack bracket kit. Based on the positive reviews, it looks like I need to check them out. Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Alpha X

I'm interested in a steering rack reinforcement bracket too. I don't see where I can buy it on the Scorp / Preferred website.

08H3

I have had the OD kit for about 100,000 miles now with no issues. Any of the kits will work in my opinion. The bracket is the issue, not the bushings.