• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Newbie from SC

coachh68

Probationary Member
Great forum!
This sounds crazy but I got here kind of by accident. I have always loved Hummers but thought I could never afford one. High School football coaches have to stick to moderate pickup trucks if you know what I mean. Anyway, my wife drives a Jeep and I took it to the dealer we bought it from to have some things worked on. For a loaner they gave me a 2006 H2 to drive. Big mistake, for me. I'm in LOVE! So now I'm looking to purchase but I must be very careful because I must be sure I can afford it.

I have been researching the forum to find what things I should be checking to know whether this is a good buy. The things I have heard is:
1. Header - check VIN number and all that! That could be a deal breaker for sure.
2. Adventure Package
3. Diff. bushings
4. CV's for cracks - Question: what is a CV?
5. Exhaust Manifolds
6. Plastic Forks in TC

Anything else that anyone would advise I check or ask about?

I'm not planning to do any hard core climbing. I want to begin ocean kayak fishing so I would like to have it for driving in sand and hauling a kayak or 2.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. You guys sound really knowledgeable! Thanks!

rascole

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for a H2 or H3?
1. VIN lower than 287591 I think were affected but not all were. 12 years and many miles so I bet the repair was already done.
2. Adventure package is nice but definitely not needed for trail riding. If you can find one get it but you'll be happy either way.
3. The diff bushings are a very easy fix with basic tools and a couple of hours.
4. CV (Constant Velocity) joint. Front prop shaft to diff and each side axle. Again, easy to replace with basic tools.
5. Exhaust leaks are more of an annoyance than anything else if it is small. Mine has had a crack for the last 6 years I've owned it. Little more work to replace.
6. Plastic shift fork has a metal replacement for $20, but the labor to replace it will depend on if you drop the TC or have a shop do it. $100 to $300.

Good luck.

coachh68

Probationary Member
Thanks Rascole!
I looked at the header and I don’t think it has been replaced. It is a 2006 with 90,000 miles so I’m a little concerned about that. I wonder if I can find out if it has already been done. This is a $63,000 rig when it was bought so I’m wondering if the owner is getting rid of it because it is about that time.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
2006 H2 - I don't know of any "known" issues. Most of what you point out is potential H3 issues. CV is the drive axle and they are a maintenance item on any vehicle that has them. They aren't expensive to swap out, unless you go to a shop that charges a lot.

If I were to buy an H2, I'd want to put some money in the front end suspension, checking for worn out suspension and steering parts. A lot of those consumable rubber parts could need replacing after 12-13 years, but that's true of any vehicle of that age. If you've got a good deal on an H2, it's definitely worth exploring.

To put this in HS football terms, let your payment get you to the 10 yard line and then have some cash available for the TD, to make it the vehicle you want it to be.