• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Upgrade underway!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
i-Z8jxK8Q-L.jpg
i-QTMh8p5-L.jpg

i-87Q2vKC-L.jpg

i-zChfzZf-L.jpg

RamRod

Nice! I have to buy everything shown above minus the iron diff to rebuild mine.

Mind sharing where you bought the bearing and seal rebuild kit in the last picture?

4speedfunk

Yeah that’s the wrong bearing kit. You need the bearings for a 7.625” IFS (not a 7.5”). No big deal. These two diffs share most of the internal parts but, the pinion bearings are different.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Yeah that’s the wrong bearing kit. You need the bearings for a 7.625” IFS (not a 7.5”). No big deal. These two diffs share most of the internal parts but, the pinion bearings are different.
Yep. I ordered GM pinion bearings separately from a dealer. Didn't see a (reasonably priced) 7.625 bearing kit elsewhere. Probably out there, just didn't see it. Once this is done I'll post up my shopping list for others.

4speedfunk

For bearings...use AAM #74067006....
http://www.demandaam.com/axle-results?vm=GM&q=7.6"+IFS

If you want a master kit...use AAM #74010004...

You can find both of these kits very cheap on ebay. Also you can find both as a package (which I highly recommend)....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AAM-Comple...ash=item239f812f86:g:Ns4AAOSwNRdYBkri&vxp=mtr

For what its worth...I rebuild a lot of 7.6's and the AAM kits are the best by far. Those shims included in your USA Gear kit are generic. They are meant to be stacked and on most axles, this works. The AAM master kit comes with REAL shims, so you can put one solid shim on each side of the carrier races, rather than a stack of paper thin shims. Not to mention the master kit comes with all new bolts, CV-bearings, seals, blah blah blah. Basically everything you need to do a total rebuild minus the bearings. Just my two cents.

Also, if you want...let me know what shim thickness's you need for your carrier and I can send you the correct one-piece versions. I have opened and used GOBS of these AAM kits and I have hundreds of shims (the good AAM shims), at my disposal.

Last edited:

RamRod

You can find both of these kits very cheap on ebay. Also you can find both as a package (which I highly recommend)....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AAM-Comple...ash=item239f812f86:g:Ns4AAOSwNRdYBkri&vxp=mtr

For what its worth...I rebuild a lot of 7.6's and the AAM kits are the best by far. Those shims included in your USA Gear kit are generic. They are meant to be stacked and on most axles, this works. The AAM master kit comes with REAL shims, so you can put one solid shim on each side of the carrier races, rather than a stack of paper thin shims. Not to mention the master kit comes with all new bolts, CV-bearings, seals, blah blah blah. Basically everything you need to do a total rebuild minus the bearings. Just my two cents.

Also, if you want...let me know what shim thickness's you need for your carrier and I can send you the correct one-piece versions. I have opened and used GOBS of these AAM kits and I have hundreds of shims (the good AAM shims), at my disposal.
Thanks for posting this... I have to pull my front diff in a few weeks and decide if I am going to repair or upgrade my front diff... it's been sitting at my brothers house 700 miles away ever since I posted about my issues in March

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
No progress at the moment. Reloader's workbench is filled with H1 parts that need to be reinstalled first. Hope to get diff assembled by the end of the month.

4speedfunk

Hey Alrock...do you want to get rid of your original single track spool? I’m looking for one.
I got an empty AAM housing sitting here. Got gears, bearings, etc...just need a carrier. LMK.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hey Alrock...do you want to get rid of your original single track spool? I’m looking for one.
I got an empty AAM housing sitting here. Got gears, bearings, etc...just need a carrier. LMK.
I should be able to help you out. Let me figure that out on Saturday when I get back to town.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DFW Spartan

4speedfunk - How do the G2 kits compare with AAM? I came across a G2 Axle and Gear 25-2015A (front) Ring and Pinion Minor Install Kit (7.625 IFS) for $50, or the 35-2015A (Front) Ring and Pinion Master Install Kit (7.625 IFS) for $80 today at the Truck & Jeep Fest. That's about 1/2 off. At that price, is it worth picking one up to have on hand, or wait and buy the AAM when actually needed? Debating whether or not to go back tomorrow to pick one up.

KLp30ao.jpg

NyuvBJ7.jpg

alrock - sorry to high-jack your thread.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
4speedfunk - How do the G2 kits compare with AAM? I came across a G2 Axle and Gear 25-2015A (front) Ring and Pinion Minor Install Kit (7.625 IFS) for $50, or the 35-2015A (Front) Ring and Pinion Master Install Kit (7.625 IFS) for $80 today at the Truck & Jeep Fest. That's about 1/2 off. At that price, is it worth picking one up to have on hand, or wait and buy the AAM when actually needed? Debating whether or not to go back tomorrow to pick one up.

KLp30ao.jpg

NyuvBJ7.jpg

alrock - sorry to high-jack your thread.
It's a good question, no hijack at all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DFW Spartan

Went back an hour before the expo was over and offered them $40 for the master kit, and they accepted. They've got 1 more master kit available, if anyone wants me to grab it for them. They've also got G2 GM 7.5 Ring and 4.56 gear discounted from $224 to $120. Might be able to get it for $60.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Alrock. Quick question. Does your front locker require thinner carrier bearings? I was reading the Eaton manual and it mentioned that some models require the thinner bearings to clear the electric coil. I was wandering if the AAM-7.6 was one of em.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Alrock. Quick question. Does your front locker require thinner carrier bearings? I was reading the Eaton manual and it mentioned that some models require the thinner bearings to clear the electric coil. I was wandering if the AAM-7.6 was one of em.
Not sure. It's installed right now but not yet tested.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Did the install work today for new cast iron front locker. Reloader was able to assemble the CI diff this week using the new parts plus parts scavenged off of a spare diff in the garage.

We reused:
  • Diff cover
  • Axle tube
  • Yoke
  • Passenger's side diff mount plate as it was from PCF. I upgraded the driver's side at this time. (Only passenger side had been replaced as it was the prototype for the upgrades that he offers now).

New parts:
  • Cast Iron differential housing 25831502 ~$400
  • Eaton locker, OEM 25800300 ~$540
  • Bearing kit, USA Gear. USA Standard Gear (ZK GM7.5-A) Master Overhaul Kit for GM 7.5" Differential $60 (incorrect pinion bearings included. Look for a 7.625 IFS bearing kit if you want kit with correct pinion bearings)
  • Outer pinion bearing 9417784 $39
  • Inner pinion bearing 22510042 $35
  • Pinion bearing crush sleeve $13 (included in USA Gear kit)
  • Breather connector 15876530 $8
  • Drain plug (can be reused from alum diff) 92230583 $12
  • Front differential pinion seal 12479267 $13
  • Yukon ring and pinion, (YG GM7.5-456) High Performance Ring and Pinion Gear Set for GM 7.5" Differential $261
  • Bracket 25933550 $3
  • Side axle bearings

Since we were doing this work, it gave us easy access to the motor mounts. This is mount #5 on the passenger side, #3 on the driver's side. The driver's one didn't need it yet, and the passenger side was just a few miles away from failing.

Motor%20mounts%20%281%29-L.jpg

I also put in the PCF diff support, as mentioned
PCF%20diff%20support-L.jpg

We drained the old diff and found good shavings on it. After we pulled the diff, we found that the ring gear was badly damaged on three teeth.
Front%20diff%20%281%29-L.jpg

Also found out that the driver's side wheel bearing was shot. The passenger one isn't far behind. These are the original bearings with 174,000 miles on them
[video=youtube_share;gXhClgMJXYw]https://youtu.be/gXhClgMJXYw[/video]

We decided to do the rear brake pads too but realized the rear wheels were not spinning smoothly, so we drained the oil from the diff. The drain plugs should not look like this. This appeared to have "normal" locker shavings but also more than that.
Rear%20diff%20plugs-L.jpg

We removed the rear diff cover and found this chunk underneath about the size of a large molar
Rear%20diff%20%282%29-L.jpg

Here's the side gears that are missing teeth AND broken into two pieces
Rear%20diff%20%286%29-L.jpg

Rear%20diff%20%285%29-L.jpg

There's a dent in the cover that suggests that pieces tried to evacuate themselves through the cover at some point.
Drain%20cover-L.jpg

So, now it's time to completely rebuild the rear end: new ring and pinion, carrier bearings, entire locker assembly, axle seals, etc. It's undriveable until then.

JPaul

Sounds like a lot of fun. You're lucky to have Reloader there to help you. I'm in the process of pulling the transmission on my Alpha to figure out where that new noise is coming from. Transfer case is out, most everything else is unhooked, just have one last torque converter bolt and then the transmission to engine bolts to remove. Doing all that by one's self sucks. Thankfully I have the red H3 still to drive so I don't have to try and get everything back together in a single weekend.