• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CV axle bad, what else to proactively replace at 56k?

2010H3TAlpha

Blew my left CV yesterday, so I am ordering Cardones from Rockauto and doing both sides at the same time. I also plan to do the axle seals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152978959599?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=152978959599

I was already planning to level my truck, so I'll do the Hunner nut trick while the OEM shocks are out (they are still working great). Anything else I should replace while I have everything taken apart?

Traxx

No point in replacing a low mile oem cv if it is working fine. Cardones suck, I wouldn't bother buying them.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I agree in that I would not replace the good CV at this time. 56k is an early break so no need to replace the other one. The cardones are probably not as good as the GM but they serve me well including several trips to Moab

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2010H3TAlpha

Just canceled my Cardone order and bought one OEM axle. Does anyone know the part number for the spindle nut? And should I replace the spindle washer too?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Just canceled my Cardone order and bought one OEM axle. Does anyone know the part number for the spindle nut? And should I replace the spindle washer too?
It should come with the spindle nut. If there's a washer, and I don't recall seeing one, you could reuse.

rascole

New axles usually come with a new nut, if not, they are reusable a couple of times. I have used Cardone axles with mixed results. Only reason I still use them is the warranty through Amazon is unbeatable. Hard to pass up a free axle when it only takes 15-20 minutes to repair on the trail.

2010H3TAlpha

Is this axle in all the way? I heard the c clip click and put everything back together, went for a test drive, went great, but now I am paranoid.

EiQFAZU.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Push it and see if it moves. I've had them jog out like that and go right back in with no harm done.

2010H3TAlpha

All is well, I checked the old axle and it sat in the same spot. Whew!

Finally leveled it while I had it apart, should have done this years ago. No major change to ride quality or braking either:

rFQrhno.jpg

Thanks again!

Paul RickyBobby Belaskie

Probationary Member
Hey guys, having some trouble to get anyone to work on my 2009 H3T I5. They say the axle assembly is nothing like the Canyon/Colorado's and could get expensive. So far for the drivers side I am looking at $2000 (i think i just threw-up in my mouth typing that). So really how hard is it to do on your own?

This is what they quoted me:
Remove & Replace F Axle Shaft - Left
CV Axle Assembly Front Left
Axle Shaft Outer Casing
Axle Shaft Outer Casing Inner Seal
Axle Shaft Outer Casing Mounting Pins
Axle Shaft Outer Casing Bearing
Axle Shaft Outer Casing Outer Seal

Mr_Rich

Go to one of the online dealer parts sites. There's one associated with this website. Price all of those parts and then realize how much that job has been padded. Make your decision and report back on your results. Should be easy after that. I will tell you this. I replaced all the hubs, axles, seals (both sides) on the front end of my K1500 and the bill was cheaper than that.

JPaul

What the heck happened that is warranting all that work? That looks to be replacing everything on the drivers side from the diff housing outward.

rascole

If it is just a axle CV and bearing that's bad it is a quick and cheap fix. But like Alrock said, we need some more detailed info. Pictures are the best.

4speedfunk

Ricky-Bobby...The H3’s front axle is only slightly different from the C/C. The left side shaft is all one piece and there is no CAD like on the C/C. To say it’s nothing like a C/C is a bit of an exaggeration.
I’m not familiar with the actual names of those parts on your list but, it sounds like they are replacing the drivers-side CV shaft, stub shaft, and axle tube, along with the gaskets on each end. Seems like an odd repair. This stub shaft commonly breaks but, rarely effects the tube (outer casing?). Regardless, this is not a difficult repair nor are the parts hard to come by. Buying these parts brand new from GM plus the labor to swap them is a $2k job. But many of us have these spare parts laying around and it’s a Saturday afternoon driveway swap....$500 and a six-pack.
So what exactly happened to prompt the repair? When you break a stub shaft, you will not be able to move the truck in 4HI-street mode. It will just sit there and grind. It’s a pretty obvious break and easy to diagnose.

Last edited:

Paul RickyBobby Belaskie

Probationary Member
Thanks for the reply guys, I had another opinion on the situation at hand. But first the history - can't keep a seal in the front differential (drivers side), replace it and it leaks in a weak or so. The guy that did it 3 times looked at it the 3rd time and came back that the axle bearings were shot and that list of parts was the result. I went to a regular GM dealer and they were up there in price as well but but couldn't guarantee anything (they were the ones that said it was totally different drive train than the C/C).

Update: I finally got in touch with a former Hummer dealership. Right off the top he said if you actually need all of that you are further ahead to get a good used differential and do a straight swap as if the cases are toast these parts won't fix the problem.

So all this over a couple little drops of fluid in my driveway. Needless to say I am more confused and ticked off than before. Love my ride but as of today it is parked until I can figure this out.

JPaul

I'd take it to another shop to get another quote if you're going to have someone else do it for you. It is possible the bearings went bad enough to spin in the bores of the housings which would necessitate replacing all those parts, but frankly I have never heard of that and if that was happening you'd sure as heck know it. It'd be making all kinds of sounds. More than likely it keeps dripping after replacing the seal because of the axle getting a groove or something in it where the seal rides on it. My red H3 has that issue as it looks like it sat with salt water or something in the seal for a while and started etching the axle shaft where the seal rode. That allowed the diff fluid to weep out over time since the etched metal was like sandpaper to the seal lip, and it does not take very much at all to nick or wear out the seal enough to cause a leak. Even putting the axle back in improperly after replacing the seal could damage it enough to cause a steady leak.

If that's the case though then it'd just either need a new axle or even a redi-sleeve to fix it, and a new seal. If you're only getting some drips and not any noises like grinding/popping/etc then I highly doubt there is even anything wrong with the stub axle shaft and the bearings. Just the CV axle and the seal would need to be replaced in my opinion, and that is a pretty easy job really. Guys do axle swaps on the trail often and it only takes a half hour to an hour.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Owners have had better luck with OEM or AC Delco seals vs other brands as well. And yeah, a used diff from eBay would be a whole lot cheaper and easier.

Paul RickyBobby Belaskie

Probationary Member