• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Always inspect new noises and rattles.

rascole

I always like to crawl under and around the 3 after every trip to look for something unusual. After a recent trip to Moab I taught a valuable lesson to my son. We thought we heard some inconsistent rattling on the drive home but assumed it was a normal rattle. Derek spent an hour checking bolts and such and didn't find anything under the H3, much to our surprise he found something disturbing on top. At some point it looks like someone tried to use a screwdriver to loosen the lock in the knob on the High Lift jack. The lock was falling out of the knob, they, or it, had loosened it over halfway off the threads and the jack was ready to fall off the mount on the highway. Pretty scary. Lesson here is don't ignore new rattles and noises.

20180408_122836.jpg
20180408_170201.jpg

Acer4LO

Good catch! I can only imagine what a 30lb stick of cast would do if fell off at 70mph on the highway! Glad you made it back safe!

JPaul

I have several new noises after just doing Hell's. Nothing super worrying, but I definitely need to give them some attention soon...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Nice catch!

I had new noises too after Moab - sounds like a bad pinion bearing. I turned up the radio and mapped out the 200 mile radius from home to use my AAA tow if necessary.

Traxx

I have a bunch of creaks and pops after putting the rock sliders on. Body mounts are on my to do list this summer.

JPaul

I have a bunch of creaks and pops after putting the rock sliders on. Body mounts are on my to do list this summer.
That's weird that you started getting noise after adding sliders, are they rubbing on the body?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rascole

Problems keep coming.

It's nice to have my son crawling all over the 3 now trying to find things to fix. He sent me a picture yesterday because he thought the rear was making noise. Both shackles are bent and the bushings are shot. Normal wear and tear for hitting the trails I guess. Looking for new heavy duty stock length shackle, any leads?

20180410_170033.jpg

Traxx

No rub, Rocky Road says this is normal and goes away after some driving. Some Jeepers complain about it as well.

That's weird that you started getting noise after adding sliders, are they rubbing on the body?

jakesz28

New noises? You can hear them over all the other noises? I'm like Alex and just turn up the radio, except it died recently and I need to replace it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
What do you do if the noises disappear? My grinding noise seems to have mostly gone away. We listened for the today in the diff and could not hear it. iIt may have been the transfer case but we drained that and the fluid was clean.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
LOL

Weeellll... some of these trucks ARE getting up there in age so... maybe they DO have arthitis?
It is interesting watching the evolution of the issues that owners face over the past few years as age creeps into these vehicles

4speedfunk

I would be interested in some heavy-duty stock length shackles as well. There is probably some Jeep or full-size application available. Worst case...I’ll make my own. I would also like to update the bushings to urethane. I run an SOA and the flex is tremendous. I am sure the additional leverage from the SOA has worn the leaf bushings more quickly than normal. Eye bushings are probably easy to come by but, the ones pressed into the frame will probably need to be lathed to fit.