• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H3 - Broken Leaf Spring

RobyH3

Hi guys, since two years I'm having a issue with my two leaf springs (left and right).
I mean, a 3" of the leaf is missing and the broken leaves are in the same position, on the front side and close to the leaf spring mount plate.

This is the right side:
IMG_2541.jpg

And this is the left side:
IMG_2540.jpg

My H3 is original, the only thing is missing is the stabilizer bar due to the LPG tank.
Is it possible that without the stabilizer bar the two leaf springs are exposed to mechanical stresses until to break in the same position ?
Because this is weird.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem ?
Thanks in advance ;)

Roberto

Last edited:

JPaul

You need to update your location, clearly you are in Australia and not Italy. :giggle:

How many kilometers do you have on that rig? I doubt the missing stabilizer bar is the culprit. Is this a 5cyl or the V8? Might be the axle wrapping too many times with hard acceleration? Just guessing honestly.

Happy Hummer

I'm guessing your getting binding. Possibly the shackles??? Or a bushing???
Are you towing or carrying a lot of weight???

RobyH3

Hi guys thanks for your answers. My vehicle is a 2008 Hummer H3 3.7L and has just over 90000 miles. Consider that i don't tow anything and i drive it very gently on road and off-road. The weird think is that the leaves are broken in the same position. Less than one year ago I changed all the shock absorbers guessing that the previous were the cause of the problem on the leaf springs but nothing is changed.

08H3

Are you the original owner? If not, the only remotely plausible explanation I can come up with is a previous owner wanted a softer spring in the rear and did a hack job to make it happen by cutting out part of the leaf. That would lend credence to why each side is more or less the same. If that's not it and it's truly a break, I have no idea how it would have happened.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Less than one year ago I changed all the shock absorbers guessing that the previous were the cause of the problem on the leaf springs but nothing is changed.
??? You changed the shock absorbers to fix what problem? What was supposed to change?