• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Most common broken parts

JPaul

I was wondering what parts everyone tends to break to determine what spares to carry as well as things to check before and after a trip.

I want this to be sort of a poll, so just list out everything you've broken and/or had to repair on your H3 over the years. I'm not counting vehicle crashes, just regular wear as well as normal abuse from offroading (not stupid stuff though, if you were bouncing and spinning your tires, you're going to break stuff you normally wouldn't.).

I don't think everyone needs to go into detail as to why something broke (you can if you want), but just a concise list would be great and possibly if you know what mileage your had to replace them at would probably be helpful as well.

Our rigs at best are 8 years old now, and at worst 12 years old, so I think we should be able to get a good list here.

Here are the common parts I already know about (but please still list them so that we can get a count):

Front CV axles
Tie rods (inner/outer, particularly 2006-2007 which had thinner rods)
Radiator
Transfer case shift fork (2006-2007)
Transfer case chain buffer plate
Front drive shaft CV joint
All suspension bushings
Steering rack

JPaul

Here's what I have had to repair/replace so far:

Radiator (75k)
Tie rods (wear ~80k)
leaf springs (fatigue ~ 100k)
Engine (3.7, lost a rod bearing at 85k)
Rear defroster connector (~100k)
Vent for center dash (lost ability to control right/left direction, might have been damage during blower motor recall work, but still. ~90k)
Battery terminals (~90k)
Starter motor relay (in fuse block ~90k)

That's all I can think of right now.

Traxx

I overhauled a great deal of stuff when it hit 100k rather than having to repair something every other month. Only things I've broken in 3+ years are a wheel stud, replaced a caliper bolt that backed out and flew off into another universe, the hvac resistor recall, and a taillight bulb.

Happy Hummer

Hers:
Spark plugs / cop
Belt tensioner / pulley / belt /t-stat /CTS
Uca / lower ball joints / all for shocks / tie rod / brakes / rotors / pins /all four sway bar links / actuator encoder motor twice
EVAP sel / Battery twice / radiator / cam actuator / tires / lower & lower mid intermediate shaft for steering / hood struts and tailgate strut / air filter and way more then I can remember anymore lol...

Mine:
Shocks / tires / spark plugs / battery three times / t-stat / lights rear (fixtures & bulbs) / lights front (fog & headlights) / all four sway links / + - cable ends / CTS / rack bushing / lower & mid lower intermediate shafts / radiator / trans cooler / hood struts / gate strut / passenger door control / driver's door inner handle / speakers / glove box handle / most of the door lights / belt tensioner / pulley / belt / air filter etc....

We have a treasure trove of used parts left over. I actually trew out a bunch last couple years.

Happy Hummer

These actually all the tings I do just to make certain when we do take off to go on a trip were golden. Preventative maintenance all the way. Cost me less in long run. Last year in October. we made a weekend trip and thank God we drove straight thru....

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Everything I've replaced due to failure or wear and tear? I'd fill this page, though most of it was wear and tear. I've busted a CV axle on the trail and had a transmission fail on the trail.

Everything? Hmm, lemme see:
Radiator x 2
Power steering pump x 2
Steering rack x 2
Crankshaft seal
Thermostat x 2
Motor mounts x 5
Driver's UCA x 2
Driver's LCA x 2
Pass UCA x 2
Pass LCA x 2
Front shocks x 3
Water pump
Fan clutch
Cylinder head
Exhaust manifold
Crankshaft position sensors x 2
Oil pressure switch x 2
Front sway bushings
Front diff x 2
Pass diff mount x 3 (now upgraded to Scorpworks fix)
Driver diff mount x 2
Front pinion seal
Diff crossmember x 5 (until Scorpworks fix)
Propshaft
Propshaft CV
Propshaft U-joint x 2
CV axles x ~6 (only one full break)
Front bump stops x 2
Torsion bars
Hood struts
Windshield x 6
A pillar trim (until I screwed them down)
Parking brake lever
Transmission
Transfer case x 2
Rear propshaft
Rear pinion seal
Rear leaf springs
Rear shocks x 3
Rear gate strut
Door sensors x 3
Battery strap
Ignition housing
Starter relay
Driver's side mirror
Gas cap
HVAC blend motor resistor repair
HVAC control panel
Door window switch lamps
Front skid plate
5 wheels (rock rash)

Not counting 5 or so batteries, several pad and rotor changes, 3 sets of spark plugs, cooling hoses and other routine maintenance. 0 tie rod failures.

I guess this isn't too bad for an H3 only driven to church on Sundays.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Forgot to add TPMS sensors. Just replaced those recently. And valve caps - OEM correct ones. And rear tail lamp housings, mostly because I had spares sitting here and I don't have David's gigantic warehouse for parts.

owlxxx

holy crap Alrock!!! I had 100k on my base '06 5 speed and only had to replace a tie rod and brake pads. I replaced the front shocks to bilsteins just for a better ride but dang!

JPaul

Seriously Alex, if you simply replaced one H3 with another, you could just say so, you don't have to itemize everything on the new one! :giggle:

That being said, you wheel yours fairly regularly, right?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Seriously Alex, if you simply replaced one H3 with another, you could just say so, you don't have to itemize everything on the new one! :giggle:

That being said, you wheel yours fairly regularly, right?
Well, if I got a new H3 I'd probably replace a lot of those components pretty soon - suspension, steering, etc.

The H3 was wheeled a lot. Only a few times a year now but easily over 30 trails per year in peak years between 2008 and 2012.

cbetts

NERD!!!
  • Clutch (80,000 miles)
  • T-Case x2 (oil starvation on first gen t-case)
  • Tie rods
  • Half shafts
  • Front driveshaft
  • Rear springs (90,000 miles - sagging)
  • Torsion bars (Alpha model for winch)
  • Belt tensionor
  • Water pump
  • Fan clutch
  • Right side exterior mirror (CA problem, ask 06 H3)
  • AC controls
  • Steering rack
  • Power steering pump
  • I5 exhaust manifold (cracked)
  • Upper/lower control arms

As far as parts I carry with me on the trail:
  • Half shafts
  • Tie rods
  • Belt tensionor
  • Serpentine belt
  • Shifster (in case t-case actuator dies)
  • Fuses
  • Relays
  • OBDII Reader (to reset from low power mode)