• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How to adjust Drivers door gap

classic87

I want to bring the door in approx. 1/16 to 1/8... it's off only a little - any suggestions are appreciated.

I can add a pic in the morning

08H3

Last "adjustment" I made to my door involved a tree and a slick off camber descent. :) I'm guessing there are better methods out there though.

Korby7

I want to bring the door in approx. 1/16 to 1/8... it's off only a little - any suggestions are appreciated.

I can add a pic in the morning

Adjust the strike plate StrikePlate.png on the b pillar to bring the back edge of the door in. To adjust the front edge, there is typically 2 bolts on the door side of each of the 2 hinges (top and bottom) that you can loosen and adjust. Not recommended that you loosen all 4 bolts if you are only adjusting in or out. You can loosen just the bottom 3 bolts and tilt in the bottom or the top 3 to tilt in the top. An option for the front height adjustment (besides having a buddy hold the door for you) is to place a floor jack with a block of wood with a rag to prevent paint damage with just enough pressure to support the weight of the door. You can then loosen all 4 and use the jack for any vertical movement. Any up or down adjustment on the front hinges will need to be matched with adjusting the strike plate on the b pillar. The body lines will tell you where you need to adjust. If the door seems to be sagging, further adjustment can sometimes be done by loosening the hinges on the A pillar side or if no adjustment is to be had there, the door can be simply lifted and the sag bent out. I haven't had to work on the H3 hinges before but the older Chevys hinges had brass bushings that needed to be changed out periodically to true them out.
Hard to put it all to words. If you lived close by, Id be happy to adjust the door for you.