• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Towing n00b

LagunaH1

Yes I am a towing n00b.

I'll be towing my smelly old Jeep to Moab in April. I've secured a rental trailer, now I need to figure out the best way of securing a smelly old jeep to a trailer.

Chains? Ratchet straps? Both?

The combined weight of trailer + smelly old Jeep means I'm supposed to use a weight distributing hitch with my truck. What does everyone use for that? Any particularly good / bad hitches to look out for?

How do you guys get the tongue weight right? (supposed to be 10% of the weight of trailer + load from what I've read)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think clubhunt is essentially saying ratchet straps to the suspension. And probably better ones than you get at Harbor Freight.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weight over the trailer axles. I use chains and straps on the H1s, straps on the Scorpion. Check both each time you get gas. X strap on the front and back.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
U want to strap wheels so they don’t move and I usually add lose chain between axel and trailer just cause. Don’t have good pic but u can see it in this one more or less u get the idea
8ee7a94e28b87e86ac32d02343af98fa.jpg
63f89562f770c3aed74fff855b7c50cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk