• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Aluminum Radiator Leak

Clark

Hi Guys
I installed this aluminum radiator exactly 13 months ago. 1 month after my warranty expired I popped
a leak. Its just my luck. My question is Can an aluminum radiator be repaired??? its leaking where the fins meet
the bottom tank. I went to a radiator repair shop and I was told go buy a metal apoxy and do it myself. it would cost
alot to fix. Any Opinions??? Thanks:emb: rad.jpg

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

I believe aluminum can be repaired with the proper equipment and know how. Conversely you could replace it again with another radiator.

Clark

Epoxy is a temporary fix. How much did he quote to fix it. Shouldn't be more than $100 max.
To tell you the truth the guy looked like he didn't want to be bothered, He just said it's gonna cost alot of money.
this is what I have to deal with here.

Clark

No I got it on eBay. I've been trying to email the seller to see if we can work out a deal
on another one. He has yet to answer me. I got it from a jersey based seller.

Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
This is problem with aluminum radiators.
They fixed problem with plastic side tanks but core is still venerable. Most likely u had some old coolant left over from install and it ate it from inside.

Repair is expensive ~600 (they have to detach tanks and weld it shut then reattach tanks back) if u look at the core most likely there more dark/black spots that is your next leak.
Damp it and get regular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I just replaced my cheap eBay radiator (standard plastic) and went back to AC Delco. While I haven't measured it with an OBDII reader, I swear it's running cooler in that the gauge is a tick or two below where it has run for a while. The AC Delco ones are not expensive and while they are not bulletproof the tend to last a few years at least. And in my case, it was working better than a cheap knockoff.

JPaul

I have seen very few people have good luck with anything that isn't AC Delco on these rigs. I don't know what it is, but you really need the OEM replacement for almost any part, otherwise it just breaks a few thousand miles down the road.

Clark

Well guys I went to 3 different radiator repair shops today and all I got were ridiculous prices for a small leak repair. I stopped at a local GM
dealer out of curiosity and I inquired about an AC/Delco radiator after the parts attendant told me $398.00 plus tax. I walked out. From my
experiences I have real bad luck with plastic tanks. I'm going to continue shopping around. And CSF has a new improved aluminum radiator. For a few bucks more
than AC/Delco
Thanks guys for all your advice.

Bruces

My csf sprang a leak and from following other csf owners their did too. I will be shopping around this summer to see if I can get it fixed. Mine is leaking about 8 inches from bottom on left inside edge. Should be an easier fix than yours.

4speedfunk

The H3 has very flemsy frame rails. The radiator needs to be rubber mounted to allow for the flex. I know the Delco radiator mounts with small pins that sit in cups...probably to allow it to move around independently of the core support. Perhaps these aluminum units are bolted solid?

rascole

The H3 has very flemsy frame rails. The radiator needs to be rubber mounted to allow for the flex. I know the Delco radiator mounts with small pins that sit in cups...probably to allow it to move around independently of the core support. Perhaps these aluminum units are bolted solid?

The CSF sits in rubber bushings like the factory one.

08H3

I know it doesn't help your current situation, but I'll add that I really don't see anything wrong with the OEM radiator in the H3 if you end up going back to it. My first one lasted over 160,000 miles which I have no complaints about. I think that was about the longest I had ever made it with any radiator.

amrg

I replaced the oem radiator twice under warranty on each of my vehicles and once out of it (so 3 on 1 truck and 2 on another)
All within 100K miles for each truck!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Traxx

Because of the integrated trans cooler, I put an oem radiator in every 50-60k. It's cheaper than a transmission, isn't that difficult of a job, and you get peace of mind. I live in a cold climate so I don't feel like dealing with an external cooler and bypass. I usually leave common parts like brakes, cv's, radiators, etc. in a wish list in amazon and grab them when they have price drops.

08H3

Because of the integrated trans cooler, I put an oem radiator in every 50-60k. It's cheaper than a transmission, isn't that difficult of a job, and you get peace of mind. I live in a cold climate so I don't feel like dealing with an external cooler and bypass. I usually leave common parts like brakes, cv's, radiators, etc. in a wish list in amazon and grab them when they have price drops.

Why wouln't you get one without the oil cooler and install an external one anyway? Even if you dont need it, it would be cheaper than a new radiator every 50k, plus your time.

Traxx

A radiator is less than 2 bills every 50k. I don't find that overly expensive and I don't charge myself for my own time. I like tinkering with the thing and it gives me an excuse to look for new stuff to do to it. I'm one of those weird people that believe in proactive maintenance.

Why wouln't you get one without the oil cooler and install an external one anyway? Even if you dont need it, it would be cheaper than a new radiator every 50k, plus your time.

05Mudiak

now you can get a Ron Davis Rad built without the trans cooler and make it a dual row rad. This is the only company that offers this to order. You just have to call them, the only h3 rad listed on their website is the one with a trans cooler. Now with that Ron Davis is the top of the line never replace again type rad. For those that are into off road racing know all about Ron Davis. So with that being said this rad will run you about $750.

I have a CSF and its being going strong for a couple years now.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
If u do that make sure u flash old coolant out good. But it is still can leak from core. I had to replace mine on F350 with aftermarket cause RD had a pinhole and repair was expensive and probably useless due to other developing problems.
Lasted ~les that 2 years.
Also have one in 3T for about 2 years but it hasn’t been driven in 2 years.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ron Davis Radiators have a great, well earned reputation, but that's not necessarily a bullet-proof measure. I've watched one friend go through two or three of them in a short period with his Jeep build. The H3 one was built with Bebe's assistance as her H3 was the test vehicle.

Traxx' method works well too - new every two years, and you'll have a reliable unit for less $.

rascole

A radiator is less than 2 bills every 50k. I don't find that overly expensive and I don't charge myself for my own time. I like tinkering with the thing and it gives me an excuse to look for new stuff to do to it. I'm one of those weird people that believe in proactive maintenance.
An option but the unreliability with the possibility of a failure while out on the trail or a 100 miles from civilization is not worth it for me.