• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

UPDATE: Tire Performance DISCOVERER ST MAXX - Recommended by H3 Owner

crwalkerasla

A little over a year ago I treated myself to new Tires for Christmas. I was concerned about the purchase because my H3 was about to become my daily driver & I do A LOT of driving. I was wanting something a little more aggressive than the oversized BFG street tires that were on it when I bought the truck. Most of the AT & off road tires were only getting 40K-50K miles before they needed replaced and I do that annually. I had the COOPER DISCOVERER ST MAXX recommended to me by a brick mason that drives the highways like I do & also has to be able to maneuver his loaded 16' trailer around on construction sites.

Well, here's the update. I purchased the tires in Jan 2017 and in Jan 2018, almost a year to the day, I had put over 40,000 miles on them. 20180103_161949.jpg (The number in the middle was a cash price for 4-tires mt & bal.) The ST MAXX is a 10 ply-kevlar hybrid pattern, more aggressive than most all-terrains but not as much as the strictly off road tires.
The truck and tires did beautifully in the waves of ice and snow that we recently had and they hardly look like their used. Still a half of penny's tread.20180103_161222.jpg20180103_161213.jpg

I run 40psi on the highways during Spr-Fall, 30psi during winter when there's threats of snow & ice, and when looking for a little back woods adventure, drop them down to 20psi, but unfortunately that's not nearly as often as I'd like.

For anyone in the market for a tire that's good on and off road, I'd recommend these COOPERs for your consideration.

humvee

Takes me 4 years to cover 40k miles.
Heres my Cooper Discoverer AT3 tread after 5 years, not counting the year my hummer was down. They’re gonna be changed with around 50% wear on them.

d277be4b8801ffdd29877733cae65e95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
I used the previous tire the STT on my H2 and H1. They were very good in all conditions. I put the tires you bought on my daughters Jeep and they have been great.

Hunner

I like my Cooper ATT deep tread, which seems to be a variant of the AT3 and will buy another set. Great for all around driving. We got the meats!
DAH_7133.jpg
DAH_7136.jpg

Last edited:

crwalkerasla

What size did you go with? I have a short wife, and mostly spend time on the highway so I went with the 305's. I know they have a 315 in the 16", but will probably try larger next time they need replacing.