• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Lifting body off frame - Swapping Chassis & Drivetrain

5gn-h3t

Does anyone have any experience in picking up a complete body and dropping it on another frame, or rolling another into place?

I've done this before on other vehicles (trucks with bolt on fenders/core supports) and I would like to leave the entire powertrain intact on both H3's. That means picking the body up high enough to clear the engine.

My plan is to disconnect everything, unbolt body mounts, jack it up to the moon, remove wheels, support body, roll it on the rotors.

I will probably be doing this in my driveway. If I get gun-shy, I could probably drag everything to work and use a crane but would have limited time and would have to fab up all of my lifting devices ahead of time. I may also be able to drag it to my part-time job that has a 9,000lb cap forklift. Hmm...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Interested and keep me posted. At some point after another 10 years of flogging the piss out of mine it will be time for a refresh and would like to do a body off frame freshen up.

SolidusJ

Does anyone have any experience in picking up a complete body and dropping it on another frame, or rolling another into place?

I've done this before on other vehicles (trucks with bolt on fenders/core supports) and I would like to leave the entire powertrain intact on both H3's. That means picking the body up high enough to clear the engine.

My plan is to disconnect everything, unbolt body mounts, jack it up to the moon, remove wheels, support body, roll it on the rotors.

I will probably be doing this in my driveway. If I get gun-shy, I could probably drag everything to work and use a crane but would have limited time and would have to fab up all of my lifting devices ahead of time. I may also be able to drag it to my part-time job that has a 9,000lb cap forklift. Hmm...

It's been done before.

126.jpg 135.jpg

Traxx

Need a hoist to do it. Can't just roll it on the rotors, too much other stuff in the way, pumpkins, dust shields, etc. Maybe you could jack it up off the frame and sneak a forklift in there I dunno I've always had a hoist, but I would just rent a bay for a couple days if it was me.