• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunner's USA Adventures

Hunner

Wow I guess I should check back here more often.

Got distracted doing overland trips and was gone for a month or so a couple of times.

All my mods just still work and I did not have much to say, weird huh?

Then I got sidetracked with RC quad copters and aerial photography from that platform. I like to take that with me to get some interesting shots.
I'm still new to that and just now trusting the reliability of the craft toting my camera.

I suggest visiting your State Parks and Recreation office and load up on maps and brochures. Talk to them about natural features you would like to see.
They are a great source of info.

You should have an Office of the National Forest and rec areas there also.
If your enthusiasm gets their attention they may make some other maps available to you.
Some they charge for and some they will provide if you are a volunteer.
That normally consists of reporting back to them conditions you find the roads in while exploring remote locations.
There are several programs that offer different involvement.

Another good source is the office of Geological Survey.
I think now you have to look at the index of maps and order them online. They only print the 7.5 quad maps when you order. They are made from older surveys and show great old roads and trails as well as contours so you can look for watersheds in rugged terrain and find waterfalls.

County maps from the state transportation department are also a great source of detail showing creeks and tributaries to rivers.
You can probably buy just the counties you want to explore.

I have a full set of 75 or Arkansas counties made from my photography. They are well worn and marked up showing locations I have been or want to go to.
Get some of those Texans rounded up and make some trips.
Usually if someone will do the planning you will have people tag along.

Sorry I was months late but life is short and I'm burning fuel and exploring this great land while I can.

Hunner

Well I guess I have been busy. Did not think to check back here.

I do lots of solo runs and sort of got caught up on the H3 posing.

I shoot lots of scenery, barns, insects, waterfalls and such for my following of wall display clients.
I figured I had shown most of my GREAT adventure photos in the past.

Gas is getting cheaper, I may adventure out of state more and find some new places to explore.

Simplelife

This thread was amazing ! Felt like I was actually there ! Awesome pictures... I too drive a dodge Cummins ... I drive a lot to Monterrey mx ... But I'm thinking about taking the h3 this summer to do some off roading ... Being in south fl all we have is swamp and mud trails !

Hunner

Apparently the last crash of the forum broke the links to Flicker I was using in post #42 and #43. I have no idea what pictures I thought at the time were supposed to be in there. Sorry.