Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Super Swamper

Thanks
    As I mentioned I mapped all of Arkansas with aerial photographs in an Aero Commander from 10,000 feet above mean sea level. It took ten years. I also did low level of some areas. The county maps were made from those and I had access to quad maps as well. It was easy to spot some geographical formations and the head of watersheds. I had a Toyota Land Cruiser wagon back then. FJ55. I explored on weekends areas I had marked. We did not have GPS then so it was hit or miss or use aerial photos and stereoscopes to find the watersheds. It has taken lots of ground work and talking to locals to gain access to some of it.
    Some are on National Park land and Forest Service lands. Park rangers are a valuable source of information and local knowledge. Upon knowing your intentions are to take only photographs and leave nothing but footprints they usually encourage documenting these areas.
    I also canoed lots of these areas and the Buffalo long before it was taken over by the park service.
    I also was the publicity and documentation photographer and videographer for the State Hwy Dept so got to travel extensively in my quest for magazine covers and articles and map covers and photographs for the inside while covering other projects.
    Last edited by Hunner; 03-23-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Super Swamper

Thanks
    Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock. Most of this was in the Ouachita National Forest.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
    It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
    The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
    However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
    Whoops, missed the flood but not taking that shortcut anymore! Ya think water has some power?
    Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
    It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
    The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
    However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
    Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

Oh and a 5 amp fuse in a splitter cig plug will not handle and invertor, Ipad, Cell phone booster.

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises. This cost me 2 hours.

Eh not a good idea

Why can't I be there, well a safe distance back.

Somebody had a good time.

Old Wagon road down by the riverside, down by the riverside.

I got more rapids than waterfalls this trip. Cossatot Falls

Besides that I spotted deer 7 times, saw two LIVE armadillos, and a Roadrunner. Beep Beep
    Got some interesting remarks at a couple of Mom and Pop gas stations about my "Experimental Vehicle"
    Just got home at dark 30, but I got lights, lots of lights................
    Last edited by Hunner; 07-05-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Now with Chese
    Thanks
    Great pictures, looks like it was a fun with with great weather. Some day I would like to explore the part of the country.

Baja
    Thanks
    This is some nice looking scenery.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Hunner, I know you have been asked this several times already but I have yet to understand your explanation & am hoping you can take it down a couple notches so I can "get it". What you are doing is the off-roading that I want to do. I do enjoy going to the off-road parks, meeting lots of great people, & seeing what my Hummer is capable of, but what I want to do mostly is your type of scenic drives (off the beaten path). You mentioned maps, a book, etc. What is your suggestion for me to be able find locales like yours? And please, be gentle with my lack of know-how.

There are several Texas members on this forum but I have yet to find anyone who shares the same scenic desire, though I wish I could. I tried to find other forums to try & meet like-minded individuals but no luck!
    Dive off the beaten path!

Super Swamper

Thanks
    Wow I guess I should check back here more often.

Got distracted doing overland trips and was gone for a month or so a couple of times.

All my mods just still work and I did not have much to say, weird huh?

Then I got sidetracked with RC quad copters and aerial photography from that platform. I like to take that with me to get some interesting shots.
    I'm still new to that and just now trusting the reliability of the craft toting my camera.

I suggest visiting your State Parks and Recreation office and load up on maps and brochures. Talk to them about natural features you would like to see.
    They are a great source of info.

You should have an Office of the National Forest and rec areas there also.
    If your enthusiasm gets their attention they may make some other maps available to you.
    Some they charge for and some they will provide if you are a volunteer.
    That normally consists of reporting back to them conditions you find the roads in while exploring remote locations.
    There are several programs that offer different involvement.

Another good source is the office of Geological Survey.
    I think now you have to look at the index of maps and order them online. They only print the 7.5 quad maps when you order. They are made from older surveys and show great old roads and trails as well as contours so you can look for watersheds in rugged terrain and find waterfalls.

County maps from the state transportation department are also a great source of detail showing creeks and tributaries to rivers.
    You can probably buy just the counties you want to explore.

I have a full set of 75 or Arkansas counties made from my photography. They are well worn and marked up showing locations I have been or want to go to.
    Get some of those Texans rounded up and make some trips.
    Usually if someone will do the planning you will have people tag along.

Sorry I was months late but life is short and I'm burning fuel and exploring this great land while I can.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,443 Posts
    How about some new pics of your travels? You take such great pictures.

Cowboy
    Thanks
    Any recent updates?

Love the thread and seeing this type of stuff.

Super Swamper

Thanks
    Well I guess I have been busy. Did not think to check back here.

I do lots of solo runs and sort of got caught up on the H3 posing.

I shoot lots of scenery, barns, insects, waterfalls and such for my following of wall display clients.
    I figured I had shown most of my GREAT adventure photos in the past.

Gas is getting cheaper, I may adventure out of state more and find some new places to explore.

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    This thread was amazing ! Felt like I was actually there ! Awesome pictures... I too drive a dodge Cummins 😎... I drive a lot to Monterrey mx ... But I'm thinking about taking the h3 this summer to do some off roading ... Being in south fl all we have is swamp and mud trails !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simplelife For This Useful Post:

Hunner (03-23-2016)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Looking for more updates and great pics!

Super Swamper

Thanks
    Apparently the last crash of the forum broke the links to Flicker I was using in post #42 and #43. I have no idea what pictures I thought at the time were supposed to be in there. Sorry.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Sorry about that. F'in Russians, or Ukrainians, or Chinese, or Phillipinians, or whomever. Argh.

Super Swamper

Thanks
    Martians?
    They heard we were coming.