• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 thoughts

humvee

To me the ZR2 trim looks like a truck aimed at college students, which isn’t a bad thing, except that its name belongs on a Camaro, and that its curvy, this thing looks okay but will age terribly.
The interior too, based on the very nice Silverado & GMC siblings interior, its curvier and less mature and you’ll start to feel it faster than you can say “Chevy Malibu”

I know that There’s an ass for every seat, no offense to those who have it its just my personal opinion.

Edit: A 2010 H3T is already in line to be a classic, if you have it, hold on to it. If you have two, well thats just good investing.

Last edited:

Traxx

The ZR2 while great in its own way looks exactly like everything else these days, it needs some beefier exterior because all I see is a hood vent some shocks and a cheesy useless looking lightbar. The T is rare, there is nothing else like it and you can't mistake it for anything other than a Hummer.
Drop in value? Hardly. Read up on some auto history. Give it ten or twenty years when people start restoring them and see what an Alpha/Adv T will fetch vs a mass produced Colorado.

I'd rather spend the 48k on a full Line-X and a really long vacation :)

Alpha X

I can see the ZR2 affecting the price of base model H3T's within a few years. I don't think the Alpha or Adventure package H3Ts will be affected. I recently drove my H3T Alpha, a ZR2 V6, and Canyon Denali V6 back to back while looking for a truck to replace my daily driver Silverado. My test drives were only on road, not off road. What the ZR2 & Canyon Denali have that I cannot get is that pretty sweet 8speed auto. Those are pretty nice. It made my H3T feel a little bit dated. I wish I could even get a 6 speed in there. I don't know which is better for the trail and/or rock climbing, but if I blow up a transmission, I'd rather have the bill for a 4speed rebuild.

rascole

Since the ZR2 will outsell the H3/T probably 5 to 1 the aftermarket support will be far greater. I would expect a lot of heavily modified first gen ZR2's in the next few years. Next generation is due by 2021 so there should be plenty of units out there to play with.

skeptic

Drop in value? Hardly. Read up on some auto history. Give it ten or twenty years when people start restoring them and see what an Alpha/Adv T will fetch vs a mass produced Colorado.
Yes, drop in value, no need to be condescending. Ts are slowly dropping value and will continue to do so for a while. The question is whether or not the existence of the Colorado ZR2 will speed things up. Eventually the value of H3Ts will bottom out, and then slowly rise as they become desired as a classic vehicle. I have no doubt that 20 years from now, and possibly much sooner, a 2009 H3T Alpha will be worth more than a 2017 ZR2. This thread isn't about what might happen 20 years down the road, it's about what might happen in the next 2 or 3 years.

Traxx

Your comparing two completely different vehicles from two different era's. What is so magical about the new body style Colorado that will drop the used market price of a completely different vehicle brand that the old body style Colorado didn't do? It's not a repackaged 2nd gen T. T market is pretty flat price wise, clean, low mileage Alpha T's still command the same 25-32. High mileage beat to crap are still 16-18k.
I bought mine for 27k in cash 3 years ago, took two hours to do the paperwork during which 6 people called from various parts of the country wanted to buy it outright and have it shipped while I was sitting there filling out the title paperwork. I doubt if I go buy a used ZR2 Colorado tomorrow I would have the same experience.

Yes, drop in value, no need to be condescending. Ts are slowly dropping value and will continue to do so for a while. The question is whether or not the existence of the Colorado ZR2 will speed things up. Eventually the value of H3Ts will bottom out, and then slowly rise as they become desired as a classic vehicle. I have no doubt that 20 years from now, and possibly much sooner, a 2009 H3T Alpha will be worth more than a 2017 ZR2. This thread isn't about what might happen 20 years down the road, it's about what might happen in the next 2 or 3 years.

RamRod

I can see the ZR2 affecting the price of base model H3T's within a few years. I don't think the Alpha or Adventure package H3Ts will be affected. I recently drove my H3T Alpha, a ZR2 V6, and Canyon Denali V6 back to back while looking for a truck to replace my daily driver Silverado. My test drives were only on road, not off road. What the ZR2 & Canyon Denali have that I cannot get is that pretty sweet 8speed auto. Those are pretty nice. It made my H3T feel a little bit dated. I wish I could even get a 6 speed in there. I don't know which is better for the trail and/or rock climbing, but if I blow up a transmission, I'd rather have the bill for a 4speed rebuild.

I should have a six speed in my T by next year this time, been collecting parts slowly for the swap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeptic

Your comparing two completely different vehicles from two different era's. What is so magical about the new body style Colorado that will drop the used market price of a completely different vehicle brand that the old body style Colorado didn't do?
It's simple, the ZR2 the first real off road capable mid-size truck from GM since the T. I have nothing bad to say about the H3T (other than the under powered i5), I used to own and wheel one. The ZR2 is not a different era, there is a 7 year gap not 2 or 3 decades. Also, the ZR2 is not a completely different vehicle form a completely different brand. Both are GM and very similar to each other, and designed by many of the same people.

I'm not saying used ZR2s are going to bring down T prices, I'm posing the question of whether or not people think they will. It's ok to say the Hummer brand and visual styling means the T values will be unaffected. However, to deny that the ZR2 is basically a spiritual successor to the H3T is just wrong. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/11...do-zr2-picks-up-where-hummer-legacy-left-off/

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Pretty cook truck IMO, the problem i see (and i could be wrong here) is dealing with the fancy multimatic suspension set up. Can you put a lift on it to run larger tires? does multimatic offer shocks/struts that are designed for a 4 inch lift? (or anyone else for that matter) How about swapping them out for a fox/king/or other manufacturer shock/strut assembly, and what kind of problems will that cause with the computer?

It will be interesting to see how the aftermarket adapts to this, or if people would rather just buy a normal colorado and mod it vs getting a zr2.

RamRod

I wouldn't buy one if I were planning to lift or put much larger tires on it then what it comes with... to me that's the whole point of a truck like this is that it's "tuned" with warranty.... but you know there will be guys buying them and messing with everything

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

I wouldn't buy one if I were planning to lift or put much larger tires on it then what it comes with... to me that's the whole point of a truck like this is that it's "tuned" with warranty.... but you know SuperBuickGuy will be buying them and messing with everything

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

there, fixed it for you.... :D

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
T have been goin up in value for couple of years now. ~2 years (was considering selling) ago asking 27 for I5 was kind of crazy now 30 is about right. Alphas are just keeps going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeptic

You sure about that price? Obviously miles and location play a big part, but I can't see an I5 H3T getting $30k. Maybe if it had 25k miles or something. I've been poking around looking at prices online and T Alphas I'm seeing are in the mid to upper $20s, with high mileage ones in the high teens to low twenties. I5 models are anywhere from mid-teens to mid-twenties. I do see the occasional $30k+ asking price, but those are more the exception than the rule.

humvee

Lately, the asking price for an i5 H3T here in Qatar can go as low as 10k, with 60k miles (not adventure)... meaning you can prob grab one for 8k with some negotiating.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Autotrader in so call 500mil search
‘10 46k 65mil Alpha
‘09 28k 45mil I5
‘09 25k 91 mil I5
‘09 19k 135mil I5
And 1 more no price

That is it 5 trucks in 500 mil radius

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
All west trucks = NO rust to speak off.

In rust belt states prices are usually lower. But who wants 8 year old rust bucket.

JPaul

All the higher priced ones are really low mileage (sub 100K for a 8 yr old or greater vehicle), they'll always command a higher price, so you're still not comparing apples to apples there. That $19K one with 135K on it is more realistic of the actual average price for one. Plus it's Kali, you're generally going to see higher pricers there for pretty much everything.

RamRod

And the one asking 46K is smoking something. That's just hoping someone will pay that for it because it's a "rare collectible."

Its funny, I see people in my area asking almost the same price as MSRP for a 2017 Tacoma/4Runner yet they are selling a 3-4 year old Tacoma/4Runner.... I just don't get it but the true value of everything is what someone is willing to pay for it, not what I think its worth.

SuperBuickGuy

I've been spending time trying to figure out what to sell my Alpha with front/rear locker... not just that but what level to sell it at - as run, or remove stuff... likely I'll take the winch, air compressor, radios, leave the light bar but take the rack off, maybe swap the tires to something less new.... at this point it's a 156000 mile Alpha so it's not gold by any stretch - though it is well taken care off and needs nothing. In any case, if anyone is interested, PM me.

skeptic

From what I see on cargurus.com, your 156k Alpha should be worth around $23k. May as well put it back to stock and sell the aftermarket stuff, unless you find just the right buyer all those mods don't add much value, if any.

It's also worth mentioning that the prices people are asking on autotrader.com/cars.com/cargurus.com/etc. are usually higher than what the car will actually sell for.

Mr_Rich

Since those the new Colorado/ Canyon trucks are equipped with the latest parts and factory upgrades I wonder how many of these parts could be upgrades or replacement parts for our H3/ H3T's. For one thing it looks to me like the new trucks use ventilated rotors on the rear axle vs. the solid rotors on the rear for our trucks.