• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Key stuck in Ignition

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’ve seen other threads where it’s the battery...or the shifter not telling the computer it’s in Park.

The doors unlock when I put it in park so the shifter is fine. The battery is good and pretty new too. Is the ignition switch bad?

Is there a small button under the dash to get the key out so I can mess with it later?

Mr_Rich

Not quite enough info; is the key position in OFF? The ignition switch is actually down the steering column and is connected via a rod to the lock cylinder. I've replaced the lock cyl. on some of my GM's and it gets more complicated as they get newer. They still have a basic design though. Maybe debris has locked up one of the tumblers in the lock cyl. I'm working on a '97 K2500 and this summer I replaced the lock cyl. I found a YouTube video that described the procedure that was very helpful. I took apart the plastic clamshell surrounding the upper steering column and found a small hole as described in the video that you can insert a drift pin to push a detent and the whole lock cyl. slides out. I bought a new lock cyl. at the dealer and swapped the tumblers out to the new one and reinstalled the lock cyl. After a lot of years there's wear and a lot of gunk in the lock cyl. I imagine yours might have that problem as well. I'd try some silicone spray first to see if that loosens anything up. WD40 (fish oil) is a little bit too gummy for this, IMO.

atvspeed4

Mine does this sometimes and its consistently the wiring harness for the shift interlock thats under the leather boot around the shifter. No joke I just unplug and replug in and key comes right out sometimes have to wiggle the wiring harness. I have known of other H3s that have had same issue but I just cant seem to figure out which pin is the loose connection.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
It doesn’t get stuck in the off position. It’s the position where key on, electronics on but motor off. I wheel with no doors sometimes so I’m sure there’s plenty of grime stuck in there.

Atv do you have a pic of the wiring?

Acer4LO

I have this problem on my 2006 H3. It started a few months ago after I installed my CB, don't know if that was the cause though. I took off the gear shifter handle and console cover to try to see if anything was wrong in there. When I did it worked perfectly, but then when I put back together, I still had the problem. I still can't figure out what it is. I manage to get the key out today by turning off the motor, foot on the brake pedal, putting in to reverse and very quickly putting it in to park and snatching the key out. It takes a few tries but it works. Haven't had time to try to fix it yet. Like Chris I also have wheeled with the doors off. ATVspeed4 ill have to try your suggestion when I get a chance.

lowtrac

Mine does this sometimes. The doors will unlock by the key won’t twist all the way to the rear. I figure it’s got something to do with a switch in the console but haven’t explored it yet. When it does happen, a press of the shifter towards the steering wheel while in park (forward and left) is all it takes to make it release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Funny thing is, something like this happened to me today. Truck was DEAD. Not even a dome light bulb, so naturally the key was stuck. Couldn't lock all of the doors (cargo door doesn't have a manual lock). When I came back 15 minutes later to get tools out, the truck started up and acted normally.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Weird Alex,

Well I guess I am not alone. I got the key out with some tries of putting in neutral back to park and turning the key. If it wont turn all the way to off then I do it again till it does. I got the key out now but if I dont then the key on position will let the power run till the battery is dead.

I tried wiggling the harness below like ATV mentioned and it didnt do anything. My problem may be like Mr. Rich is explaining.

Can007

This happened to me once. Out of nowhere. It than happen again months later but my battery died. I charged my battery and it went away.

Mr_Rich

Weird Alex,

Well I guess I am not alone. I got the key out with some tries of putting in neutral back to park and turning the key. If it wont turn all the way to off then I do it again till it does. I got the key out now but if I dont then the key on position will let the power run till the battery is dead.

I tried wiggling the harness below like ATV mentioned and it didnt do anything. My problem may be like Mr. Rich is explaining.

I have the full set of H3 shop manuals and just quickly scanning some of the info it looks to me like my previous remarks are more relevant to older vehicles. I'm glad I have an M5. On older vehicles you find mechanical linkages you can play with and adjust but newer vehicles like H3's have all these various systems that tie in to the BCM. I never thought of our vehicles having an Immobilizer, but it's in there. It's named for that 10 min. key relearn procedure.
Older vehicles that had a cable operated floor shifter for the auto trans also had a connecting lever going to the steering column that operated the neutral safety switch. I was thinking of something like that but all I see are electrical switches and connectors when I chase some of this info down in the shop manual. It could tie in to the brake pressure sw. and the auto trans shifter on the hump. I don't have too many ideas at this point.

chinsH3

I had a similiar issue after installing the oem grille lights. Part of the install required putting a relay on the underside of the fuse block in the engine bay. I didnt reseat the fuseblock all the way (as I found out later) and that caused the key to be stuck in the ignition. No idea why. After making sure the fuseblock was correctly seated down all the way, key came right out.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Chris, I think my issue may have been a bit different because as soon as power came back I got the key out. I probably got some water in the electronics which caused the electrical issue but once the water dried out I was (mostly) fine. The water may have fried the starter relay as I was having trouble starting. I replaced the ignition switch (easy 15 minute repair plus 30 minute relearn) but that didn't solve it. I replaced the starter relay and that's fixed it so far.

In the meantime, I have a new AC Delco starter in my living room, just in case that's the issue.

Can007

Weird Alex,

Any updates

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Changed the battery [emoji85] so weird, it would start but I guess it was slowly dying. Fixed for now...I will see this week at hammers

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Problem is back...tore apart the ignition and found this to be the problem. The actuator behind the key hole doesn’t always actuate.

The little button is supposed to push in and out as you turn the key into different positions. Sometimes it gets stuck and stops moving.

I looked for the part but can’t find anything. Any suggestions? FWIW, I took that thing out and the key comes in and out with no issue. Idk if it’s a theft deterrent piece or what it is.

0a44c5b52e0a679a6fb6ebd983ae5b02.jpg
be751a93ca3e2086f46385f8f3b7e3b1.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Probably! That’s the part! The little pin appears to get stuck and is gumming up. I’ll replace it, it’s cheap enough to try and that should do the trick.

I would coincidentally get a day or two without the issue then it came back. It just so happened to stop when I got a new battery.

I was watching that pin when the key came out and it was working one minute. Then the next it wasn’t.

Mr_Rich

When I'm dealing with a situation like this on one of my vehicles a good cleaning and lubrication make a big difference. I'd spray the parts with electronic spray and scrub with a toothbrush and then lube with either some silicone spray or some silicone grease. I had to do this with the 20 yo K2500 I'm renewing.