• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Acer4LO's 2008 Alpha H3 Build Thread

Acer4LO

Welcome! Introduction

Well after three years of owning my 2006 Hummer H3 I have decided to do an upgrade. I absolutely love the truck that I have, but this summer I started to do some more difficult wheeling. I found myself getting high centered and stuck since quite often since I am at stock ride height and don’t have the ADV package. Here are a few pics:

i-B9zC723-L.jpg

i-p42B2Ww-L.jpg

I planned on doing a lift, lockers, and engine swap, but it was hard to justify because I would be putting a ton of money when I could just buy an Alpha ADV at lower price. This way I can put that money towards other accessories that I have been wanting to do for a while. So I began to search Craigslist in all 50 states, eBay, and Auto trader.

Why Did I Buy This Specific Truck?

These were my main search parameters that the truck needed to have:

· An Alpha H3 – the I5 just dosen’t have enough power, especially if you want to put a lift and bigger tires
· Rancho Lift Kit – Hard to find these days and will cost a total of ~5K since you need new shocks, off road tires,and wheels.
· Adventure Package – Having a truck that comes with lockers is always better than having to spend $600 to $1200 on a locker and then another $500 to have it installed. Borg and Warner 4:1 is also nice too
· Decent Wheel to Tire Ratio – I definitely did not want to buy a truck that that 22” KMC rockstars and 35inbald mud grapplers. Basically non-mall crawler
· Anything like lux package and other accessories are a bonus.

After searching for 6 solid months this is the one I chose:

2008 Hummer H3 Alpha 5.3L w/ 250K Miles - Techno Gray Metallic

OEM Features

· Lux Package
· Adventure Package
· Tow Package
· Backup Camera
· Navigation system
· Sunroof
· Monsoon

I think it has every option except the OEM Rooflights/Marker lights and OEM fog lights accessory.

i-KDZntd9-L.jpg

i-NtGsBmD-L.jpg

i-3LFSwTh-L.jpg

i-r3zWbnp-L.jpg

i-CtfJqgd-L.jpg

i-97p8mDR-XL.jpg

i-wXw46Ck-XL.jpg

i-qkVNMD5-X2.jpg

A Bit of Background On The Truck:

Previous owner travels the country for work and tows this vehicle everywhere he goes. That explains the miles. He is the second owner. Bought it at 11k miles at auction. About 3 years ago he got a new truck and this one has just been sitting at his house only being driven short distances. The guy said he hasn’t had the time to fix it so he is selling it stands. Plenty of things that need to be fixed but this were definitely the best H3 Alpha I found after months of searching that was loaded and had tons of aftermarket features (For a reasonable price).

All aftermarket accessories:
· Road Armor Front Bumper
 (Painted gun metal gray, will be painted black)
· MileMarker 8k lb winch
(Broken)
· PIAA 510 Fog lights (36w)
· ARB Snorkel

· Chrome Runcool hoodlouvers

· Electric cooling fan
(OEM fan has been removed, this thing is loud)
· Rancho 4in lift w/ rancho shocks
· GEAR 18in wheels &34.5in (295s) Nitto Terra Grapplers - 70% tread

· Gobi roof rack w/ ladder& sunroof insert

· Low profile lockable Pelican case bolted to Gobi roof for extra storage

· N-FAB side steps

· Color matched fender flares

· LED lights on all sides(None are connected)
· Aftermarket tow braking system

· Aftermarket Third External Brake light (Doesn’t Work)

New in last 50k miles:
· Front differential - AAM8.6 (Even though this is an early model 2008!!)
· CV axles
· Hubs
· Transfer case
· Front & rear drivelines

Even though this truck is fully loaded, I must admit that the overall condition isn’t great. Not complaining but these things will take time to fix. I did know going into this purchase that it had 250kmiles so it wasn’t going to be perfect, but there are just a bunch of little things that you don’t think about that are out of whack.

Important Things To Address
✅ O2 sensors code
✅ Leaky sunroof
✅ A/C Doesn’t Blow cold
❌ Transmission code

❌ Heat doesn’t work that well
❌ Windshield has huge crack on driver’s side.

Small Things That Need To Be Addressed:
❌ Backup Camera screen works but does not display an image
✅ Navigation system screen is really dim
✅ Horn is blown out (Fixed– Hella Amazon horns installed)
✅ Hood release is broken(Fixed)
✅ Left windshield wiper pump does not spray onto window
✅ Serpentine belt is cracking (Fixed)
✅ Wires under the driver’s footwell is a mess. The guy had an aftermarket car remote installed and then took it out.
✅ None of the Gobi roof rack lights are connected. All need to be replace
✅Doesn’t have the tailgate plastic cover that hides the OEM jack or the jack
✅ Grille mount clip on one side is broken (Truck was in a small accident) (Fixed)
❌ HVAC Bulbs are out
✅ Sunroof drain tubes are not connected (Fixed)
✅
Aftermarket external brake light is out

❌ Mirrors don’t fold
✅Everything aftermarket with wires is jerry rigged.
o Example the guy used twist on wire connectors to wire the PIAA bumper lights (BTW the lights are burnt out)

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Well I now fall into the “Bought” instead of“Built” category but that being said am still going to build this beast up even more. It sounds a bit ridiculous but I think this makes for a good starting point so I can focus on mods that I have wanted to do for a while.

Mods That I Plan To Do + Ideas

- Transfer everything from my 2006 H3 to this one
✅ Daystar – Done
✅ Optima D34 - Done
✅ RRO Sliders – Done
✅ Scan gauge - Done
✅ Seat Covers – Done
✅ Tail Light Guards – Done
✅ Alpine radio
✅ Camera
✅ CB radio
✅ High lift - Done
✅ Outfitter Tire Rods
✅ Schwarttzy’s Skid
✅ Smittybilt 10K Winch - Done

✅ Get rid of chrome
✅ Rear storage Drawer
✅ Repaint Road Armor Bumper(Black)
✅ Repaint Gobi
✅ Front Dome Lights (Kinda)
✅ New LED roof rack lights
✅ JKS Quick discos
✅ OEM Roof Marker Lights
✅ 38 in tires
✅ 18" Beadlock Wheels

✅ Daystar 1" Body Lift
✅ Tubular Doors, like the ones Bebe has
- Mayhem Metal Works Steering rack mount
- Interior rocker switches for accessories by the gear shifter and sunroof switch
- Rear Diff Cover

- Leaf over axle
- Rubber Duck Diff Skid
- Front locker (Air or electromagnetic?)
- ARB Diff Breathers

- Dual Battery w/ Monitor
- Line X the Fenders, Hood,and Breath Caps like derian06
- Maybe SAS? (If I doing something like this I kind of want to go all out the first time with D60 portal axles instead of starting with a D44 and then upgrading)

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Alright Time To Start.

Fixing Sunroof

One of the first things I wanted to do was to get the sunroof working again. The guy said he just taped over it so no water would get inside and then pulled the fuse. Well I removed the tape and underneath it was pretty nasty

i-fxJ9c96-L.jpg

Cleaned it up and put in a few. I will have to put a seal in later. Next I removed the sun visors to get a better look at the drain tubes. Turns out that they were disconnected. Plugged them in and poured some water in the gutter and they worked perfectly!

After that was finished I removed the E&G Classics fender flares. I know some people like them, but personally I don’t like the look. I figure that would they would be a great place for mud to get trapped in.

Taking Off E&G Classics Fender Flares

i-2rVrJbq-L.jpg

i-9Tzv7KP-L.jpg

Putting On Rocky Road Sliders

Next up was removing the NFAB bars and putting on the RRO sliders. All I can say is wow. You can feel a huge weight difference between the two. Since I didn’t have a use for them, we put them on Waysub’s Alpha. He is going to beat on them until they break and then get some real sliders.

i-jrtmCnT-X2.jpg

Taking Off The Road Amor Bumper For Paint

The paint on the Road Armor bumper was in poor condition.There were scratches, rust spots, and paint chips. On top of that, the color did not match the color of the truck. If you look closely at the pictures, you will begin to notice the difference. The RA bumper had a gun metal gray look while the H3 had a gray color with some blue mixed in it, so it need to be painted.

i-CgDpShG-L.jpg

I figured I would just do flat black because it would be too hard to color match. While doing this I could also put on my smittybilt winch. Doing this was far worse than I ever imagined. Unless you have a ton of patience and a good chunk of time, don’t even bother if you can get your hands on one. I love how sturdy this bumper is but absolutely hate the way it was engineered. To take it off you have to unscrew somewhere around 20 bolts. It wouldn’t be that bad if the bolts were easy to get at, but they were far from it.

i-DkLwxws-L.jpg

i-C4mt2KD-L.jpg

i-ZFF2WRq-L.jpg

i-ZqHv5sj-L.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 Dakar Road Armor Bumper, Hummer H4O, Road Armor, Install, Hummer H3 Rocky Road Sliders

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Hummer H3 Road Armor Bumper

Prep + Painting Road Armor Bumper & Reinstalling

On top of that when you go put it back on, it is a puzzle.Took me three different tries to figure out what bolts need to be tightened first. Also it is near impossible to line up the bolts. I was just about to finish by putting on the last D Ring mount, but it would not line up no matter what I did. In order to fix this I literally had to unscrew/loosen every bolt on there. In total it took about 10 hours to take off and put back on. (This excludes washing, sanding, and painting.) Lining up the winch wasn’t fun a tall. A lot of trial and error went into getting it properly mounted.

i-P4r5RPn-L.jpg

i-R4FKvx6-L.jpg

i-ZRfjzsQ-L.jpg

i-nMdTMFQ-L.jpg

Adding 12k Winch

i-hNtbC7V-X2.jpg

i-zwbc5kh-L.jpg

i-44kT6kb-L.jpg

i-LxgKHjn-L.jpg

All that being said, this bumper is incredible. It is truly an extension of the frame. I needed to move the truck a little bit in the garage, so I put it in neutral and pulled it by the bumper and felt like I was pulling the frame. I know this bumper is typically apart of the high dollars how truck scene, but it definitely feels like this would be at home in the 4x4world.

i-bLb57gt-L.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
✅ Links About Road Armor Bumper ✅
Buy Now: http://www.teakatoys.com/H3_H3T_Front_Dakar_Winch_Mount_Bumper_by_Road_Armo_p/ra-h3100b.htm

Quick Facts:
- Very few documeted cases of people have these bumpers on their H3 (Probably because of price)
- Not listed on road armor's website because they don't sell many
- If you want one, they are made to order. Takes 6 to 8 Weeks
- Not easy to install yourself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though I know have a gobi, I am going to keep the high lift jack in the same spot I had it before. Really have come to love thelook of it there. It also provides me a nice table to put screwdrivers,sockets, etc when a table isn’t near by.

Tags: Hummer H3 Road Armor Bumper, Dakar, Hummer H3 Winch, Hummer H3 Winch Install

[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Painting Runcool Hoodlouvers Black

Once that whole bumper fiasco was over I wanted to take it easy, so started to de-chrome the truck. Took off the handles and painted.
Following that, the hood louver. Again, not too hard but tedious. Obviously you can’t remove the louver since it is riveted down, so had to do a careful taping job and then sand each individual vent/blind thing. Very happy with the final result though!

i-wNtxPZQ-L.jpg

i-rMMhJsX-L.jpg

i-tRpBTwb-L.jpg

i-k4C79mJ-L.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
✅ Links About Runcool Hood Louvers: ✅
Thinking About Doing This Mod?: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?5695-hood-louver-cut-out-benefits
More Info From Company:
http://hoodlouvers.com/hummer-h3/
Buy Now: http://hoodlouvers.com/product-category/wideflow-hood-louvers/
How To Install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-g-4BkwCtI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing Hella Horns

Since I am starting to drive this truck short distances (This isn’t my DD) I really needed to replace the blown out horn. The OEM ones were in the ~30 to 50 dollar price range, so I just upgraded them to the amazon Hella dual horns for $30. Mounting them was simple, just a flat bracket to make. I can’t believe amazon is charging another $30 for something you can make out of the scrap in your metal bin. Took the OEM harness off the old horn and soldered the two wires to it. Way louder than the OEM ones and simple to wire up! Thinking about adding a general lee Dixie horn just for the fun of it.

i-Jhdc4bn-L.jpg

i-bBtVG7C-L.jpg

i-MtQjV67-L.jpg

i-rntdZCw-X2.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 Runcool Hood Louvers, Hood Louver Upgrade, Hummer H3 Horn Upgrade, Hella Horns, Louver, Custom

Last edited:

Acer4LO

It does have a ton oaf stuff on it. But man that is a lot of miles towed or not. good luck with your build.

I am not worried. I talked the guy down in price. If I need to put a new 5.3L in there I made room for it in the budget. This will mostly be an offroad rig, will be towed long distances on a trailer. The only long distance travel this thing will do if I want to do some overland type trips.

MustangGirl666

The front diff is a AAM 7.6 not 8.6, do you mean cast iron? If so, all Alphas are cast iron. 15s will not fit front calipers unless spacers are used. With narrow rim width most 16s won't work with Rancho, mine didn't fit even tho they were 4.5" back spacing because of tire buldge

RamRod

The front diff is a AAM 7.6 not 8.6, do you mean cast iron? If so, all Alphas are cast iron. 15s will not fit front calipers unless spacers are used. With narrow rim width most 16s won't work with Rancho, mine didn't fit even tho they were 4.5" back spacing because of tire buldge

I had a similar issue with the 16" Hutchinson Beadlocks I had on my truck for a while, I had to go with an additional 0.25" spacer on the front to clear and well I hated that.

Good work on the Truck so far!

Acer4LO

Yes it is cast iron. I am pretty sure GM started putting in the cast iron in the 2008.5+ models. I remember 4speed saying it in another thread. Mine is a early 2008 (I think 8/07). The previous owner broke his front diff pulling someone out and he gave it to me with the truck. It is cleary the diff found on early 2006 models and what not. Lol so you're saying I have been going around call the newer cast iron a 8.6? DOH!

Acer4LO

Adding Waterproof Seat Covers

Well its been a bit since I updated this. So here we go.

Put coverking tactical seat covers in the alpha

i-bGhqBMG-X3.jpg

i-bjR9ZZJ-X3.jpg

Adding A Rear Storage Drawer

Found a rear cargo drawer solution! Ever since I saw the AMSTAR prototype drawer that never came to the market I have been looking to do something similar for a reasonable price. Only problem is that almost every automotive drawer company wants over $1000 for some type of setup (Mostly police application). Looked on amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...d=1517818707&sr=8-1&keywords=smittybilt+cargo

i-bMPkNWG-X3.jpg

It was a bit of a stretch, but I measured it before hand and in theory it should fit. When I got it, the drawer fit perfectly! Made same L brackets and bolted down using factory tie-downs.

i-sfQ4h4S-X3.jpg

i-qZDvMJn-X3.jpg

i-HpkLNpF-X3.jpg

i-PGrm4mq-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Adding Stickers

Added these "NO STEP" Stickers to the hood, just like the real humvee. Funny enough they are actually functional. The area where I placed them is just sheet metal and is not reinforced underneath the hood

i-5BMqRdN-X3.jpg

Putting In New Battery

More transfers to the new truck

Optima D34

i-GrpHBNs-X3.jpg

Rear Skid Plate Install

Was able to install Schwarttzy's rear skid plate to the crossmembers. Just required a bit of cutting and mounted it right up. (And re-sprayed) Alright this is weird on Waysub's alpha the links for the lift kit are connected to the bottom of the cross members, but mine are on the side, so I am able to add the rear skid plate, but he would not be able to. (Unless we did a lot of cutting) Any one know which is the correct way?

i-4tw9nDP-X3.jpg

i-MXkLMpS-X3.jpg

i-j68cSfC-X3.jpg

i-kPTqhLd-X3.jpg

i-pMtHNBJ-X3.jpg

i-PJk52cL-X3.jpg

i-7p9GHMw-X3.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 Seat Covers, Hummer H3 Coverking, Hummer H3 Skid Plate, Hummer H3 Battery, Hummer H3 Battery Upgrade, NO-STEP, Hummer H3 Schwarttzy Skid Plates, Hummer H3 UCP Protection

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Front Quick Disco Sway Bar Links

Installed the JKS 2001 Front Disconnect Sway Bar Links. Super easy to install. Simple as lining up the new ones to the old ones

(Cherokee XJ & Comanche MJ, 1984-2001, Quicker Disconnect, Fits 4.0"-6.0" Lift)
http://jksmfg.com/i-13306724-cherok...001-quicker-disconnect-fits-4-0-6-0-lift.html

I needed to buy these extra parts for it to work:

[2x] Offset Polyurethane Spacer (M03212-BK-01)
[2x] 1/2" -20 Nylock Nut (37130)
[2x] Stainless Steel Post (A1046)
[6x] Click Pin (03005)

i-5fTzSXn-X3.jpg

i-WGgrt8q-X3.jpg

i-Cg5Wdfj-X3.jpg

i-Jc8GXfF-X3.jpg

i-jc8M7tK-X3.jpg

Had to grease them up!

i-qVm7bKP-X3.jpg

Done

i-gNhc9qG-X3.jpg

i-7vB3Sn8-X3.jpg

✅ Links About JKS Front Discos: ✅
Background Info: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?1587-Sway-bar-disconnects
Which Model?: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?12878-JKS-Front-Discos&highlight=discos
Holding Up The Swaybar: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...8-Anti-Sway-Disconnect-front&highlight=discos
General Info: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?13123-Shocks-and-links&highlight=discos
Buy Now For 4in Lifted Rancho H3s: http://jksmfg.com/i-13306724-cherok...001-quicker-disconnect-fits-4-0-6-0-lift.html

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Installing OEM Roof Marker Lights

Well.... After an entire year... look what I found:

i-xdkWFSX-X2.jpg

Yes... that is right. The super uber rare OEM roof marker lights. Swiped them up for only $200. Got them on ebay from a freshly parted out H3

i-RzmwRCZ-X2.jpg

Alright let's mount these things:

First thing I did was to test them with a battery. 2 of the 5 lights were dead. Replaced all of them. They require 194 Marker Light Bulbs

i-HJT32Gr-X3.jpg

i-8WqwFWc-X3.jpg

Mounted the A pillars. Then put the middle plastic trim up in the correct position and mark the holes with a sharpie.

i-xq42nvW-X3.jpg

i-tRBG7Lg-X3.jpg

Drilling into your roof isn't that fun. Was super careful that I didn't drill into the headliner.

i-MDFGLr3-X3.jpg

Close up of drilled hole. I put a thread in hole with a special prototype and aviation thread tool. After that used a q-tip to put some black paint around the edges to prevent rusting

i-X6hrcDx-X3.jpg

i-B89M46p-X3.jpg

Surrounded each hole with 3M Strip Caulk to prevent water leaking.

i-RKdcL35-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Time to mount

i-786RnW7-X3.jpg

i-qXkMPGS-X3.jpg

Used my own screws and washers since I didn't have the right thread size to use the OEM ones included with my buy

i-StpVvw6-X3.jpg

Sadly this was all I was given for the covers

i-FhqZ42m-X2.jpg

Had to make do by using the 3M Strip caulk to cover the holes. Turned out nice.

i-XXLzFc8-X3.jpg

i-nKp82jJ-X3.jpg

i-DfJg8Nw-X3.jpg

Wired them to the fog light switch. This way when I orange light is on I know that the roof lights are on. Also really didn't really want to run them during the day. Just a personal preference.

i-72G2vGH-X3.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 OEM Roof Marker Lights Install, Orange Lights, H3 Marker Lights, Hummer H3 Running Lights, Hummer H3 Roof Lights

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Here is are some night time shots with the roof lights. All I can say is wow... these look really really good. I am not sure why, but it just makes the truck look more "official"... if that makes sense.

i-tVNj732-X3.jpg

i-b58z8HT-X3.jpg

i-vb6Zwww-X3.jpg

i-NR425zW-X3.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 Gobi Roof Rack, Hummer H3 Gobi Stealth Rack, Hummer H3 Gobi Ladder, Hummer H3 OEM Roof Marker Lights, Hummer H3 OEM Roof Marker Lights Install, Hummer H3 Install Lights, Hummer H3 Marker Lights, Hummer H3 Tail Light Guards, Hummer H3 Rancho Lift Kit, Hummer H3 Lifted, Hummer H3 4in Lift Kit, Hummer H3 Rocky Road Sliders, Hummer H3 Hi-Lift Jack, Hummer H3 Mount, Hummer H3 Snorkel

Last edited:

Alpha X

That's a helluva score for $200. Those A Pillar pieces are usually more than $100 each. You got the lights and header for free. Thanks for the photos of the quick disconnect too.

Acer4LO

Replaceing O2 Sensor

Didn't have a whole lot of time this weekend, so took care of some small stuff.

Replaced O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2

i-xvDdSGN-X3.jpg

i-KV8b2dx-X3.jpg

Plasti-dipping

Platty-Dipped Emblems Black

i-qpk7TRX-X3.jpg

i-PzvJh3G-X3.jpg

Aftermarket 3rd Brake Light

Fixed the aftermarket third external brake light. Turns out it wasn't even connected... what a surprise. The previous owner definitely must of had a phobia of wiring aftermarket accessories or something.

i-fSV6262-X3.jpg

Wheel Spacers/Adapters

These just came in. Really need to add these because the the driver side upper control arm is actually rubbing on the tire. Look back at the JKS install pics for lolz. Having a friend who knows how to do these things right help me because Idk what I am doing.

i-NdtL2Sb-X3.jpg

Tags: Hummer H3 O2 Sensor, Hummer H3 Plastidip, Hummer H3 Third Brake Light Fix

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Alright quick question guys. Been thinking about getting some wheels and tires in the next couple of months. Will 38" tires fit if I do the 1" daystar bodylift? If they fit I am probably going to have to regear right?

amrg

37s fit on stock h3s with a body lift so no reason 38s wont fit after you add a rancho. Its how offset you wheels are that determines if your tires will rub on the back of the front fenders.

As to regearing, at 38s you will need to go up to 4.56 (thats the max possible on the H3)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk