Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Bogger
    Thanks
    If you still have the original body mount bolts is it possible to get a measurement of how tall they are?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

09 H3 V8, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Arctic Silver, 35s, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x8 Front 17x9 Rear, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, Daystar 1" Body Lift, Borla Performance Cat-Back, custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    If you still have the original body mount bolts is it possible to get a measurement of how tall they are?

Pretty sure I do. I'll measure them when I get a chance
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha Adventure + Luxury

Rancho 4in, 295 Nitto Terras, Road Armor Bumper, Smittybilt 10k, Gobi Stealth, RRO Sliders, Daystar 1" Body Lift, ARB snorkel, Runcool Louver, JKS front disconnects, Coverking Cordura Ballistic Seat Covers, Schwarttzy Skid Plates + Leaf Mounts + Extended Shackles, Outfitter Design Tire Rods, Optima D34, Smittybilt Storage Drawer, Cobra 29 ltd, Dual 102" Whips

Parts List Updated 8/10/18

[Follow The Build]

[Wheeling and General Pictures]

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 888 Posts

Acer4LO's 2008 Alpha H3 Build Thread

A body lift can cause all kinds of issues with anything that has to connect between the body and the frame. This can include: shift cables, wiring, ground straps, hoses, steering shaft, brake lines, cooling fans, bumpers, fuel filler pipe, clutch linkage, etc. Probably not an issue for a 1” lift but, if you are considering going taller...definitely check anything that has to bridge the gap.
    The H3 is a very “tightly engineered” vehicle compared to 80s-era trucks, so there may not be the slack in these items without some customization. Most of the time...these issues won’t be obvious until you get done with the installation. Years ago I put a 3” biscuit lift on an 80s GM truck and I had to adjust the t-case, clutch, fan shroud, and throttle cable. I also made filler panels for the bumpers. The biscuits ended up being the easy part! Some months later the rag joint (on the steering shaft) failed, and damn near caused a crash.
    Last edited by 4speedfunk; 07-22-2018 at 08:18 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4speedfunk For This Useful Post:

Acer4LO (07-22-2018)

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4speedfunk View Post
    A body lift can cause all kinds of issues with anything that has to connect between the body and the frame. This can include: shift cables, wiring, ground straps, hoses, steering shaft, brake lines, cooling fans, bumpers, fuel filler pipe, clutch linkage, etc. Probably not an issue for a 1” lift but, if you are considering going taller...definitely check anything that has to bridge the gap.
    The H3 is a very “tightly engineered” vehicle compared to 80s-era trucks, so there may not be the slack in these items without some customization. Most of the time...these issues won’t be obvious until you get done with the installation. Years ago I put a 3” biscuit lift on an 80s GM truck and I had to adjust the t-case, clutch, fan shroud, and throttle cable. I also made filler panels for the bumpers. The biscuits ended up being the easy part! Some months later the rag joint (on the steering shaft) failed, and damn near caused a crash.
    Exactly! Thats why I was against doing a custom body lift setup for the H3. I know it can be done, (I remember it was done to a yellow H3) but you are setting yourself up for even more problems. Putting the custom hockey pucks and new body mount bolts are the easy part. However now you have check to make all other parts aren't negatively affected by this change. For me checking all these things are not really worth the trouble and I am afraid that I will miss somthing important that will cause problems later down the line. I think this is why Daystar only offered a 1" body lift and not a 1.5" or 2" kit.

Rancho 4in, 295 Nitto Terras, Road Armor Bumper, Smittybilt 10k, Gobi Stealth, RRO Sliders, Daystar 1" Body Lift, ARB snorkel, Runcool Louver, JKS front disconnects, Coverking Cordura Ballistic Seat Covers, Schwarttzy Skid Plates + Leaf Mounts + Extended Shackles, Outfitter Design Tire Rods, Optima D34, Smittybilt Storage Drawer, Cobra 29 ltd, Dual 102" Whips

[Follow The Build]

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post

5 5/8"

[Follow The Build]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Acer4LO For This Useful Post:

amrg (07-23-2018)

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    How did you go about your electric fan set up? I am trying to find a reliable setup for my H3 but havent found any thats worth the time and money. If I cant find anything ill go for keeping the clutch and adding a secondary pusher fan.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavoredH3 View Post
    How did you go about your electric fan set up? I am trying to find a reliable setup for my H3 but havent found any thats worth the time and money. If I cant find anything ill go for keeping the clutch and adding a secondary pusher fan.
    It actually came with it when I bought the truck. I haven't really messed with it yet, but here are a few pictures:

I have a manual switch to turn it off and on. The orginal owner orginally had it setup to automattically turn on once the truck got to half tempature, but I rewired it because sometimes it wouldn't turn on.

[Follow The Build]

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer4LO View Post
    It actually came with it when I bought the truck. I haven't really messed with it yet, but here are a few pictures:

I have a manual switch to turn it off and on. The orginal owner orginally had it setup to automattically turn on once the truck got to half tempature, but I rewired it because sometimes it wouldn't turn on.

Is it just me or is that a pretty small fan? Whenever I get to it I was thinking about using the Ford Taurus fan or keeping the mechanical clutch and adding a pusher fan. Arizona heat makes decisions like this challenging lol. Alas another day another project.

Meant to reply on the seat covers but forgot, thank you for that information btw.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quick update about the daystar body lift. Working out great, but it looks like I will need to modify my rocky road sliders to fit closer to the body like others have done.

Last edited by Acer4LO; 08-21-2018 at 01:12 AM.

[Follow The Build]

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Fixing Rubbing Problems To Fit The 38in Tires

So in order to get these bigger tires to fit, there was a number of considerations that I need to take into account and test to make sure these tires do not rub, not matter what situation I am in. Here they are listed

Front (IFS):

1.) Upwards Travel of Tire
    While the tire is completely fine and does not rub against anything when the wheels are straight, the tires can travel further up into the wheel well in a number of instances. Please note that I have the Rancho 4in Lift kit and the drop brackets for the bumpstops end up pushing the OEM bumpstops against the lower A-Arm already. This works in my favor for the moment since it will not allow the tires to travel that far into the wheel well. That being said, even with this limited upwards travel, the tires will still find other ways to get close to the body. Take for example braking quickly. In this instance the nose of the truck is being pushed down as the truck de-accelerates as with any vehicle. In order to get a baseline to see how far the tires would get closer to the body, I lifted up the truck with my forklift. By lifting up the opposite rear wheel, I was able to max out the suspension and push one of the front wheels as close to the body as I could. I measured from the top of the tire to the fender lip and compared this number to when the truck is sitting normally. I found out that the tires will move 2.25 inches closer to the body. Finding this info out was some what of a relief and basically told me that I would not have to do any crazy trimming which was good to know as I proceeded.

2.) Turning The Steering Wheel All The Way
    One big problem that I was having is the 38 inch tires were rubbing against the wheel well when I went to turn the tires. I was only able to turn the steering wheel about 1 rotation before I started hearing bad rubbing noises. For some reason it was even worse when I did the same thing in reverse and was only able to turn the truck 3/4 of a rotation. Now the obvious answer would be to just add more lift, but the problem was I already lifted the truck as much as I can. I got the Rancho 4in lift, daystar body lift, 2” T bar crank, and extended rear shackles. A SOA was out of the question for the moment since I still need to work on my fab skills and put some money aside for new shocks. So the answer hear was to do some subtle trimming, similar to NCH3’s build.

3.) Turning The Steering Wheel While At Max Articulation
    This is similar to #2. I had to make sure that the tires would not rub when the front tires were pushed into the wheel well while at the steering wheel was turned all the way in one direction.

Rear (Solid Axle):

1.) Upwards Travel of Tire At Make Articulation
    Similar to the front except with a solid axle. For this test I wanted to make the tire would not rub against the wheel well while one tire being pushed up into the wheel well while the other tire is drooping down all the way.

Fixing Rear Rubbing Problems

Rear Flex Test: Without Any Trimming Yet

Problem: Rear Quarter Panel Rubs Against Tire

Rear Quarter Panel Removed For Trimming

Flex Test Without Rear Quarter Panel To See How Much To Trim

Rear Quarter Panels Trimmed and Put Back On

Last edited by Acer4LO; 08-21-2018 at 02:23 AM.

[Follow The Build]

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Fixing Front Rubbing Problems

Front Steering Test: Tire is Rubbing

Fender Trimmed, Metal Cut and Bent (Wheel Well Removed In This Shot)

Close Up of Trimming

Wider Shots of Fender Trim. Does Not Stick Out That Bad!

Last edited by Acer4LO; 08-21-2018 at 02:34 AM.

[Follow The Build]

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Final Testing

Flex Test With Wheels Fully Turned In One Direction

Tire Just Clears! Very Close, But it Fits!

Shot From Ground Looking Up. Tire Does Not Rub. Looks Better In Person.

Rear Tires Rub A Little At Max Flex. Will be resolved when I do a SOA. Will work 99% of the time though.

Done With Rubbing Problems, Not Street Ready Yet.

Well now that I am done with the rubbing problems I still have to a few more things: flash the PCM, and change the transmission shift points. I will be doing that sometime soon, but as of right now I am working on restoring the floor of the truck. I have taken all the seats out and removed the carpet.

Reminder: This is an experimental set up and has not been tested yet. Try at your own risk. I cannot recommend you do this until I can confirm this works and get some trail time with this rig.

Last edited by Acer4LO; 08-21-2018 at 02:56 AM.

[Follow The Build]

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Tire Size Comparison: Is it Worth it? You Be The Judge!

Last edited by Acer4LO; 08-21-2018 at 02:47 AM.

[Follow The Build]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acer4LO For This Useful Post:

atvspeed4 (08-21-2018), Korby7 (08-21-2018)

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Awesome. The trimming looks clean.