• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Highly dissapoint with Yukon Master Overhaul kit for '04 & up 7.6"IFS

Guerrero

I recently bought a Yukon Master Overhaul kit for '04 & up 7.6"IFS front differential. Especially for Hummer H3. I rebuild the whole front differential, but the axle bearing that goes into the inner drive shaft, is not correct from yukon kit. In my yukon kit, this inner drive shaft bearing is smaller, is exactly the same size that the axle bearing where the cv axle attaches.

This was a horrible fact, because I have a programmed trip on monday and was replacing everything today....then this problem FROM YUKON KIT, (that cots a lot of money), arise.
Right now for this problem Yukon ruined my trip and my day. What about now? Would pay Yukon my money back for a bad kit that in words of yukon:

'''YK GM7.6IFS [14165]

Yukon Master Overhaul kit for '04 & up 7.6"IFS front differential.

Yukon Master Overhaul kits give you all the high quality parts you need to start and finish every differential job. Yukon offers more tailor-made kits than any other manufacturer in the industry to meet your specific installation needs. Yukon's Master Overhaul kits are the most comprehensive and complete kits on the market. They do extensive research to ensure that every kit is specially tailored to your application.''''

THAT IS TOTALLY FALSE, because this problem is due to a bad research of parts.
So, now I need a inner drive shaft bearing, that I was going to buy from rockauto (ACDELCO FD100 {#09411785} GM Equipo Original) , that is 43 € for this bearing to come to my house (Spain). I suppose Yukon will pay this bearing for me...(minimun)

I hope an answer from Yukon.

That was the email I've just sent to Yukon, I am HIGHLY dissapoint with this. Is an error that is not suppose to happen. I'll wait for an answer from Yukon...

Happy Hummer

I don't see a problem. You purchased a kit that didn't have every last thing correct but you want to grumble about and say that "Yukon ruined my day, week, weekend or life lol".
I frequently have stuff sent that is not totally correct and I've learned it's just part of working on Hummer's.
Just get the other correct bearings and enjoy. Some times companies incorrectly include a part that does not fit a certain vehicle and you just have to man up and get the right part. Good luck. This just MHO so take it for what it's worth.

amrg

Its probably the downtime thats annoying esp when he has parts shipped overseas to spain!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

humvee

This was a horrible fact, because I have a programmed trip on monday and was replacing everything today....

Correct me if I’m wrong, aren’t you supposed to very slowly break-in your diff after a rebuild like this?

I don’t think anyone should replace a diff today and go cross country Monday. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

there is no '04 Hummer H3. That's the first issue, the second issue is there are 2 differentials for the H3, the 06-08 5 cylinder, and the 08-10 cast iron Alpha (and 09-10 5 cyl). It sounds like they sent you a set full size 1/2 ton.... sucks, call them see what they'll do for you - if you ordered online, I dunno if their response will be good. OTOH, if you ordered by phone and it was their screw up, they're pretty good about fixing it.

SuperBuickGuy

Internals are 100% identical though, so that wouldn't have made any difference.

Yukon has 2 different part numbers... but I've never compared the aluminum, split-case version with the later cast iron so it may be true... I simply don't know.

More directly, I think he got a kit for this

101354.jpg

rather then this
file.php

Last edited:

4speedfunk

The only difference I’m aware of is that the Eaton E-locker requires thinner carrier bearings & races, to make room for the coil. That’s not really an “alum” vs “iron” issue but rather a single trac vs. locker issue. Also, the e-locker bearings will work on any AAM7.6, so it may be a situation where the thinner bearing supersedes all others.

I’ve rebuilt many of these and never had any problems finding bearings, and other than the e-lockers...I use the same bearings on all of them.

Yukon and USA Gear are good kits but the original AAM kits are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

That was a one-off custom axle that a former member made. It’s a Ford IFS D44 with a tube bolted to the drivers side. It used custom axle shafts with flanges to accept full size (bolt on) half shafts. To my knowledge, this is as far as it got. I’ve never seen any further photos past this point. He was Canadian I think...can’t recall his forum name. Black bear or something like that.

5gn-h3t

Thanks 4speed. Now I recall it. I'm tempted to try this myself. After the other 100 projects that I have half finished. Something with a bigger ring gear and make it fit factory CV shafts.

atvspeed4

That was a one-off custom axle that a former member made. It’s a Ford IFS D44 with a tube bolted to the drivers side. It used custom axle shafts with flanges to accept full size (bolt on) half shafts. To my knowledge, this is as far as it got. I’ve never seen any further photos past this point. He was Canadian I think...can’t recall his forum name. Black bear or something like that.

The only problem with his setup was that it required a custom shortened passenger CV shaft

4speedfunk

I did a similar chop job on a junk 10b and determined it was not cost effective. This was 5 or 6 years ago. Bebe has just finished her rig, and I was trying to find a simpler version of her IFS build. In the end, it snowballed into other areas of the truck. It was approaching SAS money with none of the benefits, so I called it quits. I got pics somewhere (I also got more pics of the Blackbear axle if anyone is interested).

I would still love to see a diff upgrade, as there is clearly a market for such a swap. An affordable bolt-in unit for mild wheeling. As simple as it sounds, this is a hard problem to solve.

It needs a casting. That will be upwards of $80k for a prototype and then a minimum run of 500 units, at $1k each, (all done in China). Then they must be machined, shipped to the states, and marked up for retail. You can see the problem here. We just don’t have the numbers to make it pay.

Last edited: