• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2018 Black Sheep Week Moab - April 1 - 7

Woodtick

We are headed out tomorrow. I just need to grab some straps and shackles out of the work truck. I’m also going to get a new fire extinguisher. Mine has that, I’m going to go off inside the truck for no reason look.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Have we done Lockhart Basin/Chicken Corners?
October 3, 2010. All fun and games until F5 broke his wrist. This the trail where Neo's transmission failed and y'all provided him with a replacement the following spring. I think we do it again without the broken arm or transmission this time.

Lockhart%20Basin%20100310%20022-L.jpg

Lockhart%20Basin%20100310%20046-L.jpg

Lockhart%20Basin%20100310%20057-L.jpg

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was supposed to be easy. Neo took body damage. There I was in one of my Alphas on a trail Neo took damage on. Yikes. No damage for me and towed Neo out. Turned out to be a fun trail.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It was an in and out. Not sure that we did the whole thing. We stopped at a scenic overlook which might have been short of the end.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you can drive through but the last 20 miles is dirt road. We did the fun part, then turned around and drove back through it again.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
You won't have my arm to break this time.:giggle:
And it was an arm broken in three places.:)
Second the entire trail is 58 miles McDonalds to the end at Hwy 211 (just outside of Canyonlands Needles entrance). Maybe 40 actual trail distance miles once you turn off of Kane Creek. Approx. the first three or five miles is the roughest and that is what we did, (we could have gone further if I had not fallen off that damn ledge:shame:).

From where we had lunch at the top the trail pretty much turns into something similar to White Rim Trail some minor obstacles (an old plane crash) and I guess if the creek near the end is flooded it might cause problems. But I hear the snowpack was very light this year in the Abajo and Lasal mtns so that should not be a problem.
Roughly 8 hours? Give or take a few.

lockhart basic.jpg

Last edited:

JPaul

Got my 33" Duratracs swapped off the red H3 and onto the Alpha today. Those 35's are bloody heavy compared to the 33's, over 17 pound difference each! Yes, I'll lose clearance but I'll also get better fuel economy on the way down and back, especially since I'll be pulling a camper. My 33's have done me just fine every other time on the trail, so I expect nothing different this time.

Neo

Badfish
It was an in and out. Not sure that we did the whole thing. We stopped at a scenic overlook which might have been short of the end.

we went to the end of chicken corners... out past the catacomb rocks, we turned back on Lockhart after Doug broke the arm...

Acer4LO

Last minute emergency repair! You never know when that side marker light might save your life:)

i-5szRDbB-L.jpg

So thats what he bulb looks like! Wasn't even sure there was a bulb since on all the h3s (Including mine) I have seen the light seems to have been burnt out. Lol was always too lazy to check.

scoreh3

Well that’s one way and a much easier way to change that bulb, just scuff it off with a bush. Thanks for the DIY tip .

Last edited: