• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H3 aux fuel solution

clubhunt

f4ef727c8f9011298b04f8a9eccae130.png

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
So who's going to be the guinea pig?
Also incase anyone was wondering, their website states that it holds 12 gallons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sonicstage

So who's going to be the guinea pig?
Also incase anyone was wondering, their website states that it holds 12 gallons.

I am always down for trying our new gear this looks really cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoreh3

That's a lot of weight and the spare hangs out more for more added stress. I'm thinking you might want some type of backing plate .

Acer4LO

http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040387

tth31.jpg

From what I have seen the tank is pretty well made. There is this guy named Dan who currently doing a 2 year overland trip around africa and it seems to be holding up pretty good. Here is his build: (Sorry it's a Heep) http://theroadchoseme.com/the-jeep. Anyway I do have some concerns. For one this is a 12 gallon fuel tank. A gallon of gasoline weighs approximately 6.3 pounds, so that is an extra 75.6 pounds sitting on the tail gate. Also if you are running bigger tires like 35s or 37s (37 is the max according to there website) that is going to add even more weight. Another thing to consider is that the tire is sticking out more, possibly putting more stress on the tail gate and could affect departure angle a bit. I think the main appeal of this product is going to be for overlanders since they are the ones who will need the extra fuel for long trips and most of the time they run 285 BFG KO2s, so that keeps the weight down a bit. Vdawg you should test it out!

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Yea I'm not too sold on the mounting setup without seeing it in person. I can see the appeal of being able to go 400 or so miles before filling up.

Enter Hummer

Do you need the spare tire on back to hold the can on?

EDIT: HOLY C*** $550! Never mind Im out lol

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Not to mention, getting to it looks like it could be a real project. I assume you must pull the spare to top off your main tank?

JPaul

Not to mention, getting to it looks like it could be a real project. I assume you must pull the spare to top off your main tank?

Jiggler siphon tube is all you need, no need to remove the spare or anything. Looks like it even comes with one.

Those things are bloody expensive though, for $550 or whatever they want you can get enough high quality NATO cans or MFC's to hold at least 20 gallons plus mounts for them plus have some money left over.

4speedfunk

for $550 or whatever they want you can get enough high quality NATO cans or MFC's to hold at least 20 gallons plus mounts for them plus have some money left over.

True. You could spend that leftover money to make a swing-away gate to properly support the cans. I hate extra fuel cans on 4WDs. I hate swing-away gates even more. But, if you absolutely must have more fuel...the cans need more beef than simply bolting them to the door. I think having both a 100 lb. wheel AND 100 lbs. of fuel hanging on the door is probably beyond the limit of the door mount. Moving the spare to somewhere else (roof or inside) might ease the strain and free up some extra capacity to keep the cans mounted on the door. Obviously, you want to keep fuel outside the vehicle. The spare tire location is a more flexible.

I run a 35" spare and it has occasionally bottomed out on steep departures. This creates a metallic BONG sound as the rear door skin oil-cans in & out. It doesn't seem to be permanently dented but, it does deform and pop back into shape. This is something to keep in mind as fuel cans might not be as departure friendly as a spare tire. I do like the flat-ish shape of this can but, yeah....$500 is a hard sell. My preferred method is still a VISA card and fuel station.

lsv_palana

Absolutely unneeded thing... 550$. mama mia ! for that money i can order Fedex helicopter with fuel for my car...

Отправлено с моего SM-N950F через Tapatalk

JPaul

I run a 35" spare and it has occasionally bottomed out on steep departures. This creates a metallic BONG sound as the rear door skin oil-cans in & out. It doesn't seem to be permanently dented but, it does deform and pop back into shape. This is something to keep in mind as fuel cans might not be as departure friendly as a spare tire. I do like the flat-ish shape of this can but, yeah....$500 is a hard sell. My preferred method is still a VISA card and fuel station.

You bend that sheet metal enough times and it will work harden and fracture. Depending on how much it's getting bent will determine how many times you can get away with that, which honestly isn't all that many.

And if you're hitting your spare on departures, you might want to stop climbing down from 5 foot sheer walls!! :giggle:

Maybe you need a spare tire skid that is tied to the frame and keeps you away from whatever you seem to be hitting!