• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Transmission Options

Flamingtaco

Greetings!

I'm in the market for an H2 or 3 this winter, and have some questions regarding the transmission in the H3. I've been reading the forums a lot as I've been looking at Hummers for about a year now, and as a recent transmission failure in my Escape has made my wife nervous about my desire to purchase a used vehicle, I want to be able to assure that there will be no unexpected issues. Her fears stem from the failure of a transmission that went 245k, that had it's last trans oil change at 30k miles when we bought it. Yeah, she's a bit silly, but it failed four hours away at summer camp, and though it was no big deal to me (rented a dolly for $100 and towed it and my trailer home), she was not amused.

For starters, I'd like some comments on the longevity of the 4L60-E behind the 5.3L. My understanding is the 4L60-E is designed for use (including towing) in vehicles up to the 6000Lb class, and so it should be aok in a sub-5000Lb vehicle. At the same time, I'm seeing comments about it being a slushbox, going out between 75k and 100k miles, or maybe lasting over 175k. What's the reality here? I'm looking for a vehicle between 50k and 100k miles, but don't want to pay a premium, only to have a transmission failure within a year or two.

Next: What are the best options for bulletproofing the transmission? A nice big cooler is a given for all transmissions. I've been reading about some of the rebuilds, like the PATC Raptor Level 3. Can anyone state their total expenditure to install such an uprgrade? The sites are a little lacking in defining what exactly is required for the H3, and some do not list any prices. Hard to call and get pricing when I don't yet know what year/model I will end up with, but I want an idea before I lay down for a vehicle as what I will want to do will play affect my offer.

What about a 4L65-E swap? Everything I've read says the 4L65-E is a 4L60-E but with beefier parts where it counts, and the only incompatibility exists in the input shaft and converter. However, I can't find any info on anyone swapping a 4L65-E into the Alpha. From memory (have done three clutch jobs and swapped one converter), the converter bolts to the starter ring, so it seems the question, is, will the 4L65-E converter bolt to the 5.3 starter ring? Of not, will a 6.0 ring bolt to the 5.3? I ask because performance rebuilt 4L65-E's are cheaper (ex. Monster Transmission Super Duty 4x4 4L65-E + 1800 stall converter + 1yr warrantee = $2378 Vs PATC 4L60-E Level 3 + 1800 stall converter + 4wd output shaft + 6 month warranty = $3324).

Where do the 6L80-E swaps stand? I've only found two posts about them, and it seems they are in the 8k-10k range? I'd love to go this route, but it would take finding a very low price on a mechanically sound, low mileage H3, and a plug and play swap that I could pull off in a week.

Last questions: I don't remember if I was reading about the H2 or H3, but somewhere I read that holding the 4hi and 4hi lock buttons (IIRC) for a number of seconds places the transfer case in neutral. Is this a secret economy mode? Is our transfer case just a regular 4x4 case, capable of sending all of the 5.3's torque to the rear wheels, or is it purpose built for splitting the torque, and that would destroy it quickly? Or is there something else going on, like a clutch set between the input shaft and internals?

Thanks in advance for all replies. Reading through this forum the past year has solidified my resolve that a Hummer is exactly what I want. Ready for most trails, highway comfort, decent towing rating. I don't see anything out there that checks all of these boxes without needing a major cash expenditure to match the balance a Hummer brings to these three requirements.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Can't answer all of your questions but I can offer a couple of opinions/ answers. I think the 4L60E can have good longevity. It can also fail prematurely, as can pretty much any product out there. I had the fluid pump fail at 113K so I put in a reman at that time. The remain has 57K on it so far and is doing well. If the decision to get an H2 or H3 is based on the quality of the transmission then I think you are safe to get one.

Putting the transfer case in neutral will net you exactly 0 mpg unless every road you drive is downhill and you're willing to push it from a stop. It disconnects BOTH axles and is designed for flat towing the Hummer, or other situations where you need the axles disconnected from the drivetrain.

Hummers are full time 4WD. There's no 2WD mode unless you change transfer cases and do other modifications.

Flamingtaco

Thanks for the clarification on the neutral setting for the transfer case, that makes a lot more sense. I think a third carrier would be required to pull off what I asked. Wish the Escape had a rear neutral for front tow, but then I'd probably have replaced the transmission and kept it for another 55k. Rebuilding the suspension and upsizing the tires this year and last didn't reignited the passion I once had, and as awesome as the 1st gens are, it is not reasonably capable of off-road travel that I desire, and I'm tired of crawling rocky fire roads and still getting beat up. Also, a 3500lb tow rating in a 3200Lb chassis is a rather dodgy spec.

I've picked up a lot of information reading your posts, thanks for you contributions to this community. I spent many years working up mods for my '95 SHO and our community, and understand the time and dedication that is required. Apparently I have a thing for low production vehicles, but I no longer have the time to commit to engineering like I did 20 years ago. It's been awesome being able to follow the tracks that others that have already laid down.

I like the Duramax 4x4 swap (w/non-full time transfer case), but my wallet completed ghosted when I saw the cost, guts literally fell right out, spilling a few dollar bills, a long lost penny, and a handful of receipts that go back many more years than I'm willing to admit. A new Hummer or HD Silverado were and never will be in my budget, so the price tag that comes with mods aimed at new owners are pure daydreams for me. At best I'll install larger tires and replace driveline components with HD parts as they age. I'll port the heads myself, and *maybe* purchase some headers, and install bags to assist with towing a troop trailer that always gets loaded nose heavy. Oil cooler, transmission cooler. Most of my mods these days are longevity related.

That said, is there is a non-full time 4x4 case swap that has been worked out for the H2 or 3? Gas mileage is another of the SO's complaints. She seems to think Escapes gets 26mpg with kayaks and bikes on the roof, coolers in the trunk, and a cargo tray loaded with camping gear. More like 16mpg. I try to appease, no matter the insanity.

I'm curious about the build of non-full time transfer cases Vs the ones in the H2/H3. Are the front sections beefier than partial time cases? I know a lot of things were sourced from existing stock without change, but yet there are a lot of parts unique to the Hummer that didn't have to be. I'd be perfectly happy with a non-full time case as I have the luxury of having a lot of paved roads near to me. However, my father's experience with an early 2000's Explorer was the front end of the transfer case was too weak for the regular winter use it saw on the highways between Farmington and Detroit. That case had a two winter life between grenades.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Chevy 60 usually last between 140-200k, 80 being beefier usually 200+.
Swap to 65 usually more expensive and u not gaining that much.

bullet proff 60 transmission will cost ~6k to build

u can install Atlas TC ( or other part time case) with part time FWD but then u need to disconnect front wheel and that requires SAS swap ~20k

Flamingtaco

bullet proff 60 transmission will cost ~6k to build

What qualifies as bulletproof for non extreme use? PATC's 4L60-E 'Raptor Level 3' looks to be about $3300 and is built for 400hp. I would think this should be 'bulletproof' for a stock motor, but... are there reasons why it might not be?

Can007

Buy a Hummer Alpha. You can't go wrong. At the end of the day its all about maintenance! Adding trans cooler, pusher fans, quality oil will give you a better chance but at the end its a mechanical and stuff happens!

mjferencak

I've done the PATC upgrade on a 700R4 that was married to a 383 stroker and LOVED IT!!! I bought the upgrade kit on ebay a long time ago, 2007 I believe. Anyways, I had a local shop install the kit (kevlar clutches, superior servo, etc....) and I think it costed me just over $1000 after all was said and done. I haven't done the 4L60e yet but that is on the list of must do's for my H3. Just my 2 cents.

33780894004_original.jpg

This is what the 383 700R4 PATC Raptor stage 3 was sitting in. I sold it before I could finish it when I got married and bought the H3 a few days later and shipped off to Iraq the next week. YOU"RE WELCOME WIFE!!! :giggle:

Last edited:

Flamingtaco

It will be an Alpha H3, or a 2008 or 09 H2. Having just enough power to get out of your own way makes for a bad drive pulling 3-4k lbs at 10k ft.

It's amazing that you only paid $1000 for a PATC rebuild. Cost me $800 to get my wife's Crapavan trans rebuilt with transgo at about that same year, parts were less than $200, and I was getting a side deal. I didn't even consider having the parts shipped locally as PATC ships rebuilt trans for free. My idea has been to have PATC source a transmission for me for a level 3 build, swap it in sometime in 2018, and have the original rebuilt locally as a backup. I may now purchase a PATC kit for it, if the price is right.

Thanks for the info. I'm feeling a lot better about this, now if I can only find one that hasn't been driven like it was stolen. My son's new car (2010 Fusion) is turning out to be a mess, car is great mechanically except a speed sensor went out in the first week, and this weekend the transmission repair light came on for a while. I'm driving his '99 Audi which had transmission shift issues when it was given to him, because the transmission in my Escape finally quit after 245k mi. That one's not a complaint, but three transmission issues all in the same year makes me want to smash a few automatics. Every car we've owned that had a stick never had a transmission failure, from the cheapest econobox to the sweetest coupe.

Flamingtaco

This is what the 383 700R4 PATC Raptor stage 3 was sitting in. I sold it before I could finish it when I got married and bought the H3 a few days later and shipped off to Iraq the next week. YOU"RE WELCOME WIFE!!! :giggle:

That was one step from being a bad ass piece of machinery (painted grill)!

Seriously, though, the H3 was an upgrade :thumbs:

GreatDaneHummer

Its been awhile but I will add to this. I have done both builds now PATC stage 3 and a Monster 4L70E 650HP trans rebuild. The PATC was on my 07 H3 but then changed to my H3T then sold. The Monster is just finished up on my 07 H3. Both builds are absolute overkill.

mjferencak

How difficult is it to get the 4L70e in the H3? I know both 60 and 70 will bolt up but I'm talking wiring harness, TCM, etc....

mjferencak

Yeah I'll just stay with the PATC upgrade for the 4l60e or wait for CaseyS to finish ironing out the kinks in the 6l80e setup.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
What qualifies as bulletproof for non extreme use? PATC's 4L60-E 'Raptor Level 3' looks to be about $3300 and is built for 400hp. I would think this should be 'bulletproof' for a stock motor, but... are there reasons why it might not be?

Bullet proof = best of the best. I own auto shop so my prices are wholesale +cash deal on top of it.
When I rebuild Chase 12 it was ~2k in parts alone. When I had TC in Alpha out I upgraded transmission ~2400 in parts only. U don't realize that when shop "rebuilds" your transmission on ~2k rebuild there maybe 400$ in parts.
Most of the time only clutches get replaced, and maybe 1 solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk