• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New H1 Owner

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems that we have a new H1 owner on the forum that has yet to post up anything about his new purchase, what his plans are, etc:corn:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Okay, here's some of an update for him.

T-stat was stuck closed on the trip home so he pulled it and removed it. At home, the t-stat was replaced with all of other cooling hoses.

Hood latches were replaced (I think, or they are on order.). Brush guard pins were replaced as they were too short.

Electrical work was next. Wiring was removed for the overhead PIAA lights and those will come off eventually. The side marker light housings were replaced, as were the headlights, tail lamp assemblies and rear marker light bulbs.

Driver front door was disassembled to fix the window track.

New military-style exhaust stack was fabricated. The existing exhaust exited inside of the passenger rear wheel. An extension was fabricated with a flange attached. That flange attached to a new flex couple, which continued in front of the rear wheel, outside and up the outside between the rear door and the rear wheel. Custom mounts were fabricated to attach through the Hummer Dan skids and the fender lip, as well as under the fender like the OEM mount. The exhaust was wrapped with rolled expanded steel and all painted with HVT flat black.

New injectors are on order as the H1 starts up fun and runs great, but on a warm restart it has some issues with long restarts. Most of the time it runs great, sometimes it doesn't.

Leaks are pretty minimal and it didn't use any oil on the trip back from TX, though it has used some since. It gets driven daily to work so it's getting some good exercise. Maybe if we're lucky we'll see him on Live PD some Friday or Saturday night.

Many more projects in the works including getting a spare tire mount inside the bed like on Dave's '92, new radio, fixing the a/c, new window tint, working on/replacing the transfer case shifter (I think), and other stuff that I cannot recall. Maybe some ghost flames down the side.

Neo

Badfish
Get us some spy shots Alrock :wink:

F5 was in town the other day... and I'm spending a lot of time between Cortez and Dove Creek now. Setting up most of my Production on a farm over there, should be moving the processor this week and have tons of wood there.
a new kitty :) there are two that hang around the cabin above Deloris

image1.JPG

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Get us some spy shots Alrock :wink:

F5 was in town the other day... and I'm spending a lot of time between Cortez and Dove Creek now. Setting up most of my Production on a farm over there, should be moving the processor this week and have tons of wood there.
a new kitty :) there are two that hang around the cabin above Deloris

View attachment 22751
My favorite animal! I've even got a 1970 Cougar! Thanks for not killing and mounting it---beautiful creature!!!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So I stopped by the home of this new H1 owner to check on his progress. The H1 has an intermittent issue of running rough, like it's missing on one cylinder. Compression checks out on all eight holes. All of the injectors were replaced. The lifter pump was replaced as it was not working. Valve springs look good.

So it's a bit messy in there at the moment.
2017-10-21%2010.53.06-L.jpg

Taking off the doghouse there was a bird's nest of wiring from various electronic projects, like stereo and amplifier install. All of that was removed and/or cleaned up. Next step appears to be to replace the injector pump (I think that's the right name), about $800 for a reman unit.

Other projects on tap: new motor mounts, heater core and fan shroud. Will also need a new a/c compressor. All of the coolant hoses will be replaced when the shroud is put in.
2017-10-21%2011.20.30-L.jpg

As mentioned before, all lights and housings were replaced.
2017-10-21%2011.20.38-L.jpg

And here's the new exhaust, tying into the existing exhaust.
2017-10-21%2011.20.48-L.jpg

2017-10-21%2011.20.54-L.jpg

And the custom mounting bracket.
2017-10-21%2011.21.01-L.jpg

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I gave Matt a new lift pump and he had the injection pump replaced. I have had the doghouse off that truck and have never seen more electrical wire on one vehicle. Truck may pick up an mpg with all the wire gone.

Neo

Badfish
Glad to see some pix, thanx... I was thinking the body might be setting next to the chassis knowing Reloader, lights look great :wink:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Updates: lift injector was switch, and not the device. While early troubleshooting pointed to the pump, it's now appearing to be fuel lines at the injectors. Those 8 lines are being ordered and will hopefully address the occasionally rough running. Overall, engine and ride is very solid.