• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AC Delco plugs

SuperBuickGuy

boy is it rare when I call a company out by name - but given the cost and aggravation. It's time. Never, ever buy AC delco spark plugs. Whether unobtainium or their copper core, the housings crack and will cause you no end to trouble. I just replaced plugs on my H3 Hummer, one was bad. It ate 3 coils before I finally figured out what was going on - easy crack to see (bastards). Follow this up, I have an FJ40 with a 350 chevy in it. I kept going through ignition modules. 5 of 8 plugs are cracked. The H3, the plug was brand new. The FJ40, 1000 miles.... run away from them, they want to save money making that stuff in China - why should I have to bear their R&D and quality testing?

JPaul

pretty sure I'm running AC Delco's in mine, haven't had any issues for about 10,000 miles now. Maybe you should stop dropping them on the concrete to tighten the gaps... :giggle:

woodwardsh3

Where did you buy them? I do think it is rare to have this problem, sounds like they were damaged during shipping. I ran in to this once the ceramic cone that is on the electrode had cracked and slipped down and closed the gap.On a 4 cylinder. They were new and never thought to check it. Took to the dealer as i thought it was a computer issue. Only to pay 50 something dollars to find out it was a plug.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
You've definitely had bad luck. I've replaced mine 2-3 times over the past 10 years with no issues. Are you using that 48" breaker bar to tighten them down? :giggle:

SuperBuickGuy

You've definitely had bad luck. I've replaced mine 2-3 times over the past 10 years with no issues. Are you using that 48" breaker bar to tighten them down? :giggle:

according to the trolls, yes. Stupid trolls, I drove them in with a hammer.

what's interesting is they cracked in the same spot on the porcelain (right under the 'e' on the Delco - which is really interesting since I thought they were printed after the firing of the porcelain) on the three plugs that had full cracks.