• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

16's or 17's?

CuzIsaidso

I've been waiting until my current tires needed replacing to upgrade my tire/wheel combo and the time has finally come. I've done as much research as I could and have decided on the tire and wheels I want. I'm going to go with Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires & Vision 85 Soft 8 steel wheels (4" backspace). The only thing I'm undecided about is size. I'm not sure if I should go with 315/70/17 or 315/75/16. So what are do you guys think is the better combo? Have you had any issues (rubbing ect...) with either size?

H3TDave

I can't help much with rim size but I have the dick cepek extreme country in 285 and 10k later they have done what I've needed. Haven't shown much wear. But man they hold rocks like crazy sometimes.
9ff3740c642b2426db788edbd216f195.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
They are essentially the same size so any issues should be mirrored by either tire. You're likely to see some rubbing on the sway bar but that's it. As for 16" or 17", just go with whatever you want. I don't see a significant performance difference between the two.

USMC_TOP

I was always told 17s handle better than 16s. Don’t know if it’s true or not as I have not tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

Everything the same, 17s will handle better due to less side wall flex, 16s will be more comfy due to more side wall flex.

But realistically speaking, on a 35" tire you wont really notice the difference unless you go to 20" wheels (great handling, horrible ride comfort)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CuzIsaidso

Thanks for the replies. I'll just keep looking at pics of H3's and try to make my decision.

Another question...How much will my tires stick out past the fender with theses tires & wheels with a 4" backspace?

amrg

You need the offset of the wheel to calculate that. Stock H3 wheels have a +38mm offset meaning the center of the wheel (also tire) is +38mm from the mounting surface. The lesser the number or negative indicates going outwards and the difference in the two values is what you're looking for.
Don't forget to add any difference in tire width too to the final calculations.

CuzIsaidso

Wheel offset...-12. So it adds up to a 1.96" difference.

Tire width...16's = 11.90", 17's = 12.80". Current tires are 11.30".

So 16's = 2.56", 17's = 3.46". Does that sound right?

amrg

Almost,
You need to add half the tire width difference since the tire will be wider on both sides of the wheel.

So the 16s will be 1.96 + 0.3 = 2.26"