• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fresh from Texas

kuljo

Hello everyone, I joined this forum as a part of my research and buying of Hummer H2, or maybe H3. Not 100% sure which one should I go for. I have a limited budget.
I joined this forum in search for the answer. So thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Mike from Dallas TX

Acer4LO

Hello everyone, I joined this forum as a part of my research and buying of Hummer H2, or maybe H3. Not 100% sure which one should I go for. I have a limited budget.
I joined this forum in search for the answer. So thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Mike from Dallas TX

It really depends what you plan on doing with it and if you want to use it offroad. I have an H3 myself so I can tell you some pros of it. Take it with a grain of salt, because what may work for me, not be applicable to you. Never had a H2, so someone else will have to chime in to tell you the other side of the story.

- The body isn't that big - If you plan on running trails all over the country, you have to think about what vehicles are going through there: 2 or 4 door jeeps mainly. - The H2 is way bigger than all of them
- There are plenty of places to get after market parts, if you know where to look.
- On H4O (This website), H3s are talked about more. H3 Posts = 66,837 H2 Posts = 7,024 (As of this moment). So finding information about mods/help with fixes may be easier.
- The doors can easily be taken off. - This can be a huge plus if you are driving over terrain that is technical and need to see exactly where you are placing your front wheels.

These are just a quick few points that I came up with and I know there is a bunch of other talking points that I know H4O members can bring up. Again, I speak with bias, so identify what you are going to do with the vehicle, where you are going to bring it, and if you plan on modifying it as well and that should help you answer your question.

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
I live in Dallas and have had and off-roader 1 2 and 3's. They all have their pros and cons. If you are mainly using it as a driver an H2 hands down is the winner. The other points mentioned about size are true but you can manage to get through most trails in Texas with only some pinstriping. The H2 is the most comfortable with more options than any other. If you are looking for an H2 compared to an H3 you really don't need to do much to them to make them even better than they are. The stock size tire is a 37. They are heaver built with stronger motor t case and suspension than a stock H3.
If you compare what a 3 & 2 cost new and the value you can get in a used H2 the 2 wins again.
If you want an H3 they are great but if you off-road a lot you may spend more on repairs. But they are very good fun trucks. Look for an 07 up in the H3. They are better motor you want the 3.7 or v8. They also will have the upgrade tie rods. Look under any used truck and look for designs of abuse. If it has rattles walk away it has been wrecked or abused.
In an H2 look for the same things but 06 up are the best trucks. The mirror issues are resolved and a few others. The 08 up has the newer interior and will get a little better fuel mileage but upfront cost can be a lot more. Good luck on your search. If I can help let me know.

kuljo

Nicely said Green1 Thank you!!!
I am going for H3. Dont plan on offroading it much, but for sure big tires are going to be put. Found one Black H3 Luxury edition with 114k miles family owned for $12k looks clean. Will check it out hope it turnes to be a nice one. H2 06 and up are out of my budget since if I want to go with 115k miles unless I take 06 H2 with 150k miles which most if the times is pretty worn out...

Enter Hummer

Welcome!

I have an H3 Luxury and offroad the living c*** out of it (as do many others). I just can't justify spending $20k on an H2 when my current H3 does all I ask. I'm waiting on gas prices to skyrocket again so I can score some cheap hummers :)

In the Hummer world, there are no wrong choices. All are capable and just too much fun!

kuljo

Enter Hummer I can not agree more... I regret not more for not buying one when gas pricea were high they were selling H2 for max 15-16 few yrs old...
its ok now I think I will be happy wih black H3, I test drove one and its very agile and easy to drive only thing its not quick, but it was not ment to be, it was made to offroad and be reliable. I have heard that 3.7 I5 is very reliable engine.

kuljo

well mostly city drivnig but East texas off-roading in oil fields and for hunting.... so not fanatic for offroading but lift kit will be on 2''-4'' inch and larger tires wheels...

3.7 is very good. If you are planning to off-road much make sure it has the adventure package.

kuljo

Thanks all for replies, I ve been out of states. Still looking for a nice one to find. Hopefully something comes out clean