• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anybody else doing a 5 tire rotation?

Ghostbuster

Got my tires rotated and the spare that just got put on the ground doesn't have a tpms sensor in it.

The tire guy said it will still pick up the signal from the now spare tire that has a sensor in it.

Well sure enough it doesn't. So now I'm getting the service tpms error and low tire message.

So what are my options to get this error message to go away?

Buy a new sensor and get it programmed for my fifth wheel?

Get a engine tune and hopefully the guy can disable passlock and the tpms crap?

Put the other tire back on the ground and say to heck with doing a 5 wheel rotation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traxx

I just buy an extra tpms sensor for the spare and do the relearn procedure when I rotate, takes 5 minutes. No point in paying for that 5th tire if your not using it.

amrg

I used to do a 4 tire rotation and got 40K miles from the original set of tires, spare was practically never used. When I got my H3 alpha I swapped the tires to the I5 and upgraded the Alpha to 35s.
I incorporated that spare with the other tires and they lasted to 60K.

The Alpha with 35s has a 5 tire rotation policy, done 65K miles and still got probably another 25K on them (but I may get rid of them next summer as they would be 6 years old then)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Enter Hummer

I've only done 4 tire because my spare is 10 years old and cracking badly :roll:. Thanks previous owners..
However even if my spare were good, I would only do 4 tires because I like to replace 'em before I get a flat. My spare is purley for a 1 time emergency ride back home.

Happy Hummer

I guess I never really thought to hard about this. I just rotate the 4 and that's it. The spare gets used to get me out of the pickle if I get into it...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
5 tire and relearn. The system can only recognize 4 tires at a time and the tire has to rotate to turn on the sensor, which is why the spare was not recognized.

One benefit of a 5 tire rotation is that all tires remain the same circumference, which is important if you have to use the spare. You don't want mismatched tires with the 4wd system. While you won't notice any issues, I suspect it will add wear and tear to the driveline in the Diffs or transfer case. Small amount, sure, but it will be there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JPaul

I prefer a 5 tire rotation, that's how you're supposed to do it anyway when your spare is a fullsize, even on 2wd vehicles because it causes an unbalance in the drive axle when one tire is larger than the other. Only reason everyone just does a 4 tire is majority of cars these days only have a compact donut as a spare instead of a fullsize, and because most tire shops don't seem to bother with it either (even when the spare is sitting right there on the back, I was kind if irritated when I realized Les Schwab wasn't doing it, so next time I have to make them do a 5 tire rotation). When I switched mine last I didn't have to do a relearn.

Panzer07

Since I got my 35s I've been doing a 5 tire rotation...so the spare doesn't goes to waste as many spare tires do due to age and elements and what not. I threw new tps in them 5 wheels and haven't had a problem

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Puckrobber

When I got my H3 from the MIL, I noticed the front driver's side tire was a Bridgestone, whereas the other 3 were Nittos. The 4th Nitto was on the spare rack, presumably, because it was flat at one time. Don't know how many miles the Bridgestone went, but, it drove fine. Had it put back as the spare, and the Nitto on the front, and had the TPMS light come on with the "service" warning. Thought something was wrong until I read about the "spare throws off the sensor" issue.

The light still comes on occasionally, but, haven't had any driving issues. And yes, I also do the 5 tire rotation if the spare is the appropriate size.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Ghostbuster

I ordered a new oem sensor. It was only $34. Hopefully I won't have to make it relearn every time I rotate the tires.

H3slate

Brush raked
I ordered a new oem sensor. It was only $34. Hopefully I won't have to make it relearn every time I rotate the tires.

You have to reset the sensors anytime you move wheel locations. It's not that hard, just kind of a pain. Directions are in the manual.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

650Hawk

While my wife's Tahoe has the TPMS that actually lists each corner and it's psi in the DIC, our H3 doesn't; it just lets you know if "a" tire is low. So based on that, does it really matter what "position" each of the 4 sensors are in, as long as they are all (4) rotating/transmitting?

Let's see...The H3 only monitors 4 sensors, and those sensors must be rotating in order to transmit. Got it. So wouldn't moving a sensor-equipped spare into a road position simply replace the transmitted signal for the one from the removed tire? Or does each sensor transmit in a different frequency? And if that's the case, how do you go about replacing a defective sensor without inadvertently duplicating the frequency of one of the remaining tires?:huh:

Now I'm just giving myself a headache!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
You're overthinking this :). I suspect that BCM recognizes the sensors by a unique code and even by position, since the reset procedure is by position. But the programming is the limiting factor and does not show tire position like on newer systems. If there were no unique codes, you would never need to program even if you bought new sensors, and the truck might even recognize sensors from nearby vehicles.

Graham2990

I've always worked the spare into the rotation for the simple fact that I'm not buying 5 tires at 250-300$ each and only using 80% of them.

I'd much rather have a spare that gets some miles on it. It gets checked for pressure as regularly as the other 4.

Can't count how many times I've assisted someone in a spare tire swap and when they pull it from the trunk, under the truck, etc, it's flat because they haven't even looked at in in 18 months / 60K miles.

650Hawk

You're overthinking this :). I suspect that BCM recognizes the sensors by a unique code and even by position, since the reset procedure is by position. But the programming is the limiting factor and does not show tire position like on newer systems. If there were no unique codes, you would never need to program even if you bought new sensors, and the truck might even recognize sensors from nearby vehicles.
Makes sense, you're probably right about the unique code for each sensor. But really, how would the system know (or care) if I did the relearn procedure in the opposite direction, or random direction for that matter? :D

H3V8

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be if I start doing a 5 tire rotation now after my 4 tires have worn a good amount and my spare is brand new.

Should I wait until it's time to get all 5 new tires to start a 5 tire rotation or start now? Spare is currently 16/32nds and other 4 are about 8/32nds. Too much of a difference?

Big2dabank

So glad my H2 is pre TPMS. I have done a 5 tire rotate since day one, every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Why pay several hundred for a full-size spare if your just going to let it rot on the back?