• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

WaySub’s Build Log

WaySub

Hello everyone. So Acer4LO and I went wheeling a few times and now I am addicted. I wanted to get a vehicle of my own so we began to search. After looking at all types of vehicles, I decided that I wanted to get an Alpha. Long story short, this is the one I went with:

2008 Hummer H3 Alpha at 164k
W/ Luxury, Tow, Adventure, Monsoon, Tan Interior, & OEM Rear View Camera
Late Model ’08 so it has the Cast Iron 8.6”
Motor and Transmission were both rebuilt at 136k.

Here are some photos that I grabbed on the way home:

i-Kc3HMPF-XL.jpg

i-4jJt5Cm-L.jpg

i-4Zv5vSX-L.jpg

i-Hp5gpcK-L.jpg

The previous owner was definitely a car enthusiast. The 3 was very well maintained and had numerous performance mods.
- 5.3L was boared over to 6.0
- Turned Crank
- LS6 lifters
- Chromoly Push Rods
- Upgraded Rrunion gears
- Stage 2 Cam .553 lift .553 Duration
- ARP Head Studs
- Ported Heads
- LS2 Timing Chain
- LS2 Oil Pump
- LS6 Forged Pistons
- LS6 Springs
- Magnaflow Exhaust
- Deleted Catalytic Converters
- CFS Radiator
- HP Tuners Tuned

Trans:
- Upgraded Sunshield
- Upgraded Sprags
- Corvette Survos
- 3 in Hardened Clutch Packs
- 2200 Stall Converter

More Mods
- Rancho 4inch lift kit w/ 9400 shocks
- 18" Ballistic Hostel Wheels
- Nitto 35" Trail Grapplers
- Pioneer Double Den Sceen
- Front Tint
- Gobi Ladder
- 4 Led Pods (Don’t Work Currently)
- Color matched grille, door handles, and front bumper
- Blacked out

Obviously this 3 looked more like a show truck than an off road rig. So there is some work to be done. I think I want to make this multipurpose type truck where I can take it wheeling for a couple hours at an offroad park but also be able to go over landing for a few days. Anyway, the first thing I had to do was remove the stickers and chain. Then Acer and I went wheeling the next day to test it out.

i-sM8Rn3S.jpg

i-5dnFJwv.jpg

i-hLPqM8r.jpg

i-cjzxQLq.jpg

WaySub

Picked up some parts from Woodtick (Thanks again!). Most of the stuff can’t be used for the build but will be nice to keep around as spares. From what he told me there is some H4O history in here. I now have 4Speed’s stock bumper, 06 H3’s pumpkin cover and a few other members old parts. Definitely going to stick the OEM brush guard I got from him and then eventually put on a Thor Parts bumper.

i-BcgTD9S-L.jpg

Not exactly sure why these wheels have what look like fake bead locks, but that is beside the point. Changed whatever they are from pink to black.

i-4m5fVH7-L.jpg

Added Daystar & Lev-O-Gauge

i-BpS33p3-L.jpg

OEM brush guard added, removed nerf bar,painted chrome mirrors

i-46VKZw2-L.jpg

i-SzCQvsJ-L.jpg

i-qmVFhp5-L.jpg

Next Up On The List:
Thor Parts Gen II Bumper
Winch (Steel)
Outfitter Design Tire Rods
Drawer System
RRO Sliders
Gobi Stealth + Limb Risers
DIY JK Snorkel

Any ideas/recommendations you guys have for any other mods?

Also I am not sure what I should do about the skid plates or if they are necessary. Since I have the Rancho, the factory holes where the skid plates go are being used by the links, which means the current options out there will not work. Should I just make my own?

Huge thanks to anyone that can help out!

Last edited:

Enter Hummer

Love your truck and where your going with it!

The only other mod I can think of is the OutfitterDesigns steering reinforcement kit if you haven't already.

WaySub

Ah you got that from Katie, it's a great truck and she did great work to it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 6.0L she threw in there.

Yes sir! Oh believe me, it sounds amazing and has an abundance of power. I can upload a vid if any of you are curious what it sounds like. On my search to find the perfect H3 to start a build on I've driven 3s with all three engines and this one takes the cake by a country mile. That plus the Rancho made it an obvious choice to go with. Can't wait to get cracking on the build!

Traxx

The oem skid plates can be used with the Rancho kit, you just need to weld a 3-4" strip onto the front section so it will reach the mounting points. The rear section will still bolt right on. Just me but I would ditch the 'angry eyeballs'. Stock halogens bulbs are weak enough without blocking a third of the light they produce.

If that thing was re-geared on top of the 6.0 it would be a complete blast to drive.

awalsh

The oem skid plates can be used with the Rancho kit, you just need to weld a 3-4" strip onto the front section so it will reach the mounting points. The rear section will still bolt right on. Just me but I would ditch the 'angry eyeballs'. Stock halogens bulbs are weak enough without blocking a third of the light they produce.

If that thing was re-geared on top of the 6.0 it would be a complete blast to drive.

Agreed, but don't bag the angry eyes. My custom angry eye grill has more than enough light output with some 6000k hids, leds would also do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaySub

Agreed, but don't bag the angry eyes. My custom angry eye grill has more than enough light output with some 6000k hids, leds would also do the job

I am conflicted about removing/keeping them. One on hand I realize that newbies typically add this mod and these are seen everywhere on JK mall crawlers, but on the other I kind of like them. Really not sure what I am gonna do. :gaah:

awalsh

I am conflicted about removing/keeping them. One on hand I realize that newbies typically add this mod and these are seen everywhere on JK mall crawlers, but on the other I kind of like them. Really not sure what I am gonna do. :gaah:

Very true, but if you do a custom grill like mine it stands out from those who use duck tape [emoji23] plus jk mall crawlers can't have all the fun
45cf522ea31d9b2bf18aeaaa7257ddb3.jpg

derian06

Red Rockett

blinding everyone in sight while you're at it... Do yourself and everyone a favor and do the projector mod haha

WaySub

Well this build is taking longer than I thought!

- Right now I am still trying to find a used Gobi Stealth W/Sunroof cut out so I don’t have to pay 1600 and wait 6 weeks. If any of you know where I can get one please PM me!
- Trying to get a thor parts bumper, but 4speed is busy at the moment.
- The drawer system I ordered was damaged, so gotta get a new one.

In the mean time, I have been doing a good bit of wheeling

i-dN7TBrq.jpg

i-KqWrs2j.jpg

i-dTH5Ctf.jpg

While on the trail, I had a “Hold my beer” moment and buried my truck

i-mhfsKch.jpg

i-4hFgQfK.jpg

This mud was like glue, and I felt myself sink when I first went in. The mud was very heavy and sucked up whatever it could.

i-g5Qdcbb.jpg

i-RWzL3Ss.jpg

Took almost an hour to get out with 10k winch & snatch block, a lot of digging and using boards/tree logs.

i-NwKZt8m.jpg

i-PV425r7.jpg

i-WSNvZ67.jpg

Luckily I didn’t break anything, but the clean up wasn’t fun

Last edited:

WaySub

I was here all weekend...you didn't show. No big deal. You don't need me to buy one anyway. Just point & click.

Haha sorry man you didn't respond to my email. Wanted to make sure you didn't get tied up with something before I made 3.5 hr drive! No big deal!

WaySub

CB Radio installed on knee bolster. (Uniden 520 XL)

i-kL7Kdgj-X2.jpg

Previous owner had installed dual antenna mounts on the rear plastic panels which meant I had to mount them there. Strangely enough there wasn't a CB wire connected to the mounts or under the kick panels which means that they were only for show. Connecting the 18ft CB wire wasn't fun. Had to remove the wheel wells to gain access to the mount. I was able to bring the wire inside on the left side with no problem, but I had to do some drilling on the right side to bring the cable in.

i-f3rvZQ6-L.jpg

Final result. I think it looks pretty good and different than what some other guys have done.

i-W8V8zLM-L.jpg

Last edited: