• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hypothetical or eventual EV

skeptic

The future is electric vehicles. Period. Once battery tech gets the big breakthrough allowing for cheap batteries with increased energy density and drastically faster charging, the switch to EVs will be quicker than most people realize. In recent months some new battery tech was announced which if it turns out to be true and scalable it could be the magic bullet. Google solid state glass battery for more info, but that's off topic and irrelevant.

Here is the question - at what point would you consider converting your Hummer to an all electric setup? Maybe you like the idea and cost savings and want to jump as soon as you can get 150 miles per charge and re-charge in 30 minutes. Maybe you're a die-hard and will stick with gas no matter how much it costs per gallon as long as there is a gas station within 20 miles.

Personally, I'd be ready to convert to electric as soon as:
Cost of converting will pay for itself in 2 years or less.
300+ mile range per charge.
Recharge in 15 minutes or less.
Power and performance on-par or better than current gas engine.

Realistically, I'd probably trade my H2 in on an EV Truck/SUV before converting it but for this hypothetical let's say buying a new EV SUV/Truck isn't an option.

RamRod

I live in a very unique city where a car that has a range of 200 miles can get me anywhere that I go frequently (I live on an island) so the next car that will replace our current commuter car will be 100% EV

I looked at converting my '74 Ford Bronco to EV, keeping 4x4, and last year a company that supplies conversion kits said they could get me 250mile range and convert the Bronco for $28k

.... has me really thinking about ir

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

skeptic

I've seen things lately that have me thinking about this as well. This was one http://bollingermotors.com/ and then I saw an article about the glass batteries. Previously I had expected the "battery breakthrough" to be some new high energy density super capacitor, but this solid state battery looks to be a winner IF it's all it's cracked up to be.

I have to say, the idea of charging my EV H2 using solar panels on my roof is really appealing. So is the idea of having solar panels on my roof, or better, having a roof made of solar panels (Tesla solar roof).

Enter Hummer

NEVER! Never never never! EVER!

Ok now that thats out of the way, heres whats wrong with electricity:
1) complicated for my mechanical mind
2) emp will knock it out
3) girly

I will drive with good 'ol gasoline 'til they wont sell me anymore. THEN, this is what I will do:

IMG_1231.JPG

This truck runs on wood :). Not quite sure how but I'll figure it out if electric becomes the primary fuel.

I'll show all 'em granola munchin lettuce lovers!

DJinCO

How much "juice" (battery, voltage/amps) would it take to pull a 7000lb trailer in the mountains with grade.
I know that an electric motor can pull; diesel locomotives are actually electric motor driven, but substantially different. Also the huge mine trucks are electric motor driven, but again, hard to make it useful for regular highway use.

RamRod

NEVER! Never never never! EVER!

Ok now that thats out of the way, heres whats wrong with electricity:
1) complicated for my mechanical mind
2) emp will knock it out
3) girly

I will drive with good 'ol gasoline 'til they wont sell me anymore. THEN, this is what I will do:

View attachment 22556

This truck runs on wood :). Not quite sure how but I'll figure it out if electric becomes the primary fuel.

I'll show all 'em granola munchin lettuce lovers!
Complicated? They literally have 1000's less moving parts?

Girly? Tell that to the world's fastest production car the Tesla P100 which spanks all other productions cars a$$

Enter Hummer

Sheesh, sorry.
All I meant was computers, codes, and miles of wire aint very simple. Our trucks right now are mostly mechanical. You know those little bastard electrical gremlins? On a full electric car one of those will park the whole dang car.

And come on, I was throwing the girly in for laughs. But being serious about being girly, lets just paint an image of the forums in 5 years, "I just got done swaping my pos relay for a better one. The plastic clips gave me a hard time but I pulled through. Look at that new plastic part!"

I'm not trying to be a jacka$$. Didn't mean to come off that way.

Last edited:

scoreh3

A company has already built a 100% electric H3 . I read an article several years ago . If I remember correctly it was a red H3. I don't remember if it ever did anything .

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
As it is now I will NOT convert any car to EV. I bought wife a Tesla X 90D last September , its works for her (short trips). But it doesn't work for me.

RamRod

Sheesh, sorry.
All I meant was computers, codes, and miles of wire aint very simple. Our trucks right now are mostly mechanical. You know those little bastard electrical gremlins? On a full electric car one of those will park the whole dang car.

And come on, I was throwing the girly in for laughs. But being serious about being girly, lets just paint an image of the forums in 5 years, "I just got done swaping my pos relay for a better one. The plastic clips gave me a hard time but I pulled through. Look at that new plastic part!"

I'm not trying to be a jacka$$. Didn't mean to come off that way.
Lol i guess we both came off harder then me went.... i responded like i talk to my buddies and could see how that could come off strong

Just was adding fuel to the fire [emoji48]

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
DJinCO saved you guys seeing a long post from me regarding towing.I'd be hard pressed to want to swap to electric as I love the sound of the deuce motor when it's winding up--even my girls notice it and love how it sounds. If you can make an electric motor sound that cool, well then sign me up!The whole thing about being a car guy is the visceral feeling of it all--hearing the engine working, feeling it working and smelling it working. Top fuel funny cars get it for me. Take away that chest pounding roar and smell and what do you have? A fast car that leaves a soft breeze--yawn.......

Last edited:

RamRod

I agree with that part Twin

Have you ever heard the all electric Harley Davidson go by? It sounds like a jet fighter and is a totally new and different experience both in sound and acceleration

skeptic

I think some of you are kinda missing the point of this thread. Instead of listing why you won't convert to EV, not useful for towing on the highway, only useful for short trips, etc. look at it from the other perspective of what it will take to make you convert. ie - not useful for towing on the highway becomes "when an EV can tow 7000 lbs up a steep hill and has a range of 500 miles" or whatever your requirements are. Same for open ended "doesn't work for me" type answers - why doesn't it work and what would make it work?

Twin did hit the one issue I don't know how EV can resolve - the sound. I do love the rumble of a v8, the whine of a supercharger, the pssst of a turbo's blow off valve. Maybe 25 years from now the last of gassers will get evil looks as they drive by in their loud smelly offensive vehicles and people will wonder how anyone could stand the sound?

Enter Hummer

Ok ok now I get it :)

what will electric have to do for me?
1) 500 mile minimum range
2) some sort of "battery jerry can" for longer trips
3) GM's official recall of our gas engines ready to swap to electric, free of charge
4) the sound, feel, and history of an actual engine is a lot to lose... they better give us something great in exchange (not a v8 microphone like the raptors), you guys know that game where you push the button and someone random gets shocked? I want that for the passengers :giggle:

JPaul

I'd be all for either full electric or a diesel hybrid. Range is the biggest concern, but battery tech is making a lot of promising advances. I just wish they didn't feel like they needed to add more computerization than a F-35, it'd be cheaper if you kept it simpler. But I guess then they wouldn't be able to get as much range out of them then.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Range is not a concern even now. 300+ range is easily achievable. Charging is, even at a supercharger takes ~45 min to get 80%.
On other hand, if u can swap battery packs like Tesla's. u can be in an out gust like a gas stop.

Positive= H2 can be quicker that a Vett.

Last edited:

Kick'n Dust

I would never consider converting my H3 into electric. Now the new Cummins turbo diesel they are offering through their repower program is my choice. My H3 is my break out vehicle. If the $hit hits the fan it'll be a while before diesel is hard to find.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

RamRod

I would never consider converting my H3 into electric. Now the new Cummins turbo diesel they are offering through their repower program is my choice. My H3 is my break out vehicle. If the $hit hits the fan it'll be a while before diesel is hard to find.

**** will be offering ****
..... so far it's just been tv/YouTube guys and show cars that have managed to get these motors.... damn VW scandal is slowing down the approval process for new diesel motors waiting for the rubber stamp to start selling

Kick'n Dust

**** will be offering ****
..... so far it's just been tv/YouTube guys and show cars that have managed to get these motors.... damn VW scandal is slowing down the approval process for new diesel motors waiting for the rubber stamp to start selling

Really? Well there's always the old 4BT. Too bad though, I hear the new design gets great fuel mileage

CaseyS

There is no way to cheat the laws of physics. It takes way more power to move (and keep moving) a Hummer over a Tesla. I've estimated it takes about 70hp to drive on flat highway at 70mph. That's 50kw. I'm not sure what the total capacity of current battery tech is, but 300 mile range in a Tesla is likely about 125 in a Hummer.

Now if they were to come out with a full 4 motor, one per wheel setup and independent traction control at each corner that would blow any other 4wd tech out of the water. Imagine full torque available at zero speed with independent drive at each wheel!!

Big2dabank

My non-verbal 7 year old makes a vroom vroom sound when he want to go ride in the Hummer. Nuff said, his smile says it all and it will be gas until the day it dies or they stop selling gas. At that time, Biodiesel, Propane or CNG, would make a little more sense in my mind instead of an EV drivetrain for a Hummer.

RamRod

Really? Well there's always the old 4BT. Too bad though, I hear the new design gets great fuel mileage

It will still come eventually.... just a bit of a set back for now

Kick'n Dust

Hummer owners bought a Hummer when the other half bought a Prius. If you're a GM guy then just buy a Volt. Sorry I know I'm not answering the question... Without a doubt my Hummer will never be powered by batteries. Powered By GM, and dinosaurs.